Old 08-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Frank Smith

Default Xorg.conf 800 x 600

Hi All
I keep changing my xorg.conf but it seems to be ignored!

I'm stuck on 800 x 600 which in this monitor is unusable.

I have an Nvidia G force 600 thing which used to work fine.

I also tried to install the GLX drivers through synaptic this failed but now I cannot

un-install them I get an error code 2 from apt-get.

Here is my latest xorg.conf:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#

# This file was generated by failsafeDexconf, using
# values from the debconf database and some overrides to use vesa mode.
#
# You should use dexconf or another such tool for creating a "real" xorg.conf

# For example:
#** sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
Section "InputDevice"
*** Identifier*** "Generic Keyboard"
*** Driver*** *** "kbd"
*** Option*** *** "XkbRules"*** "xorg"

*** Option*** *** "XkbModel"*** "pc105"
*** Option*** *** "XkbLayout"*** "gb"
*** Option*** *** "XkbOptions"*** "lv3:ralt_switch"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

*** Identifier*** "Configured Mouse"
*** Driver*** *** "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
*** Identifier*** "Configured Video Device"
*** Driver*** *** "vesa"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
*** Identifier*** "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
*** Identifier*** "Default Screen"
*** Device*** *** "Configured Video Device"

*** Monitor*** *** "Configured Monitor"
*** SubSection "Display"
*** *** Modes** "1280x1024""1024x768"
*** EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

*** Identifier*** "Default Layout"
*** Screen*** *** "Default Screen"
EndSection

Anyone any ideas as this is a real show stopper.

Cheers
Bob

Old 08-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Gustin Johnson

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Frank Smith <frsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
> I keep changing my xorg.conf but it seems to be ignored!
>
> I'm stuck on 800 x 600 which in this monitor is unusable.
>
> I have an Nvidia G force 600 thing which used to work fine.
>
> I also tried to install the GLX drivers through synaptic this failed but now
> I cannot
> un-install them I get an error code 2 from apt-get.

Can you post the exact command you are trying to run as well as the
resulting output?

> Here is my latest xorg.conf:

Which version of 64Studio are you using?

Newer versions of Xorg really do not use the xorg.conf file (the
reality is slightly more complicated but 99% of the time we should not
need to touch the xorg.conf file anymore).

If you are using the latest version of 64Studio (the Beta one that is
based on Ubuntu), xrandr (or one of the GUI front ends, like grandr or
the Gnome display control panel applet) is the preferred method of
setting the screen resolution and colour depth.

> Anyone any ideas as this is a real show stopper.

Can you post the results of the following:

lsmod |grep nv
glxinfo |head -n 50
xrandr -q

Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Gustin Johnson

Oh, I almost forgot, the output from lspci might be helpful:

lspci |grep VGA

Old 08-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Frank Smith

HI Guys
I now have it sorted.
Not sure how!!

I removed my xorg.conf and put in one I had kept from my G mail account!!

I also tried the envy thing but it didn't seem to load the driver.

Thanks for all your help

Cheers
Bob

Old 08-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Gustin Johnson

On 10-08-31 05:19 AM, Frank Smith wrote:
> HI Guys
> I now have it sorted.
> Not sure how!!
>
> I removed my xorg.conf and put in one I had kept from my G mail account!!

Typically we no longer need to mess with the xorg.conf file.

> I also tried the envy thing but it didn't seem to load the driver.

Is it using the nvidia driver (lsmod |grep nv)?

> Thanks for all your help

Np.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Folderol

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:19:25 -0600
Gustin Johnson <gustin@echostar.ca> wrote:

> On 10-08-31 05:19 AM, Frank Smith wrote:
> > HI Guys
> > I now have it sorted.
> > Not sure how!!
> >
> > I removed my xorg.conf and put in one I had kept from my G mail account!!
> >
> Typically we no longer need to mess with the xorg.conf file.

Unfortunately this depends a lot on the monitor. There are quite a few
mid-range monitors that simply are not recognised by the 'new' xorg,
older versions that actually need xorg.conf don't seem to have a
problem.

Go figure ???

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Old 09-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Gustin Johnson

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Folderol <folderol@ukfsn.org> wrote:
<snip>
>> Typically we no longer need to mess with the xorg.conf file.
>
> Unfortunately this depends a lot on the monitor. There are quite a few
> mid-range monitors that simply are not recognised by the 'new' xorg,
> older versions that actually need xorg.conf don't seem to have a
> problem.

For the mot part, you can pass all the same options to xrandr

Old 09-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Frank Smith

On 1 September 2010 15:57, Folderol <folderol@ukfsn.org> wrote:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:19:25 -0600

Gustin Johnson <gustin@echostar.ca> wrote:

> > I removed my xorg.conf and put in one I had kept from my G mail account!!

> Typically we no longer need to mess with the xorg.conf file.

Unfortunately this depends a lot on the monitor. There are quite a few

mid-range monitors that simply are not recognised by the 'new' xorg,

older versions that actually need xorg.conf don't seem to have a

problem.

Go figure ???
*Hi AllMy monitor is an HP w2007v 20"Which I don't think is that old.I*couldn't*get xrandr to change anything.
I don't understand why the 'older' xorg.conf seemed to*eventually*work.

I had input vert and hysnyc on the one that was generated on install.
Maybe when I used envyng it*actually*found the NV driver, as this didn't seem to be on the system at install.

Talking of the nvidia-glxWhen I used synaptic to install this it failed to install then I could not un-install it.
This then stopped*synaptic*from working.
After a day online I eventually found I had to do*mkdir /usr/lib32
this then allowed synaptic to remove the offending file.Is this an error with synaptic?
Thanks for all the help looking and sounding good!!

Bob

Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Gustin Johnson

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Frank Smith <frsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 September 2010 15:57, Folderol <folderol@ukfsn.org> wrote:

>> > Typically we no longer need to mess with the xorg.conf file.
>>
>> Unfortunately this depends a lot on the monitor. There are quite a few
>> mid-range monitors that simply are not recognised by the 'new' xorg,
>> older versions that actually need xorg.conf don't seem to have a
>> problem.
>>
>> Go figure ???
>
> *Hi All
> My monitor is an HP w2007v 20"
> Which I don't think is that old.
> I*couldn't*get xrandr to change anything.
> I don't understand why the 'older' xorg.conf seemed to*eventually*work.

It depends on the version of X, the state of the drivers, and the
hardware itself.

> I had input vert and hysnyc on the one that was generated on install.
> Maybe when I used envyng it*actually*found the NV driver, as this didn't
> seem to be on the system at install.

There are actually three different drivers; envyng, nv, and nvidia
(glx). It does not really matter but I am curious which driver is
actually being used.

> Talking of the nvidia-glx
> When I used synaptic to install this it failed to install then I could not
> un-install it.
> This then stopped*synaptic*from working.
> After a day online I eventually found I had to do*mkdir /usr/lib32
> this then allowed synaptic to remove the offending file.
> Is this an error with synaptic?

Could be a bug in that package as well.
If I have a need for the GLX driver, I have had far better luck in
getting the driver from nvidia.com. The install process is a bit more
manual but it does work. Lately I have been avoiding both of them.
Intel, for all their problems, have given me far less grief than
either nVidia or ATI/AMD. With the radeonhd driver and newer ATI/AMD
devices, I have hope that things will get better in the future.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Frank Smith

Hi All*
There are actually three different drivers; envyng, nv, and nvidia

(glx). *It does not really matter but I am curious which driver is

actually being used.

Seems to be the NV driver now*
I have had far better luck in
getting the driver from nvidia.com. *The install process is a bit more

manual but it does work. *Lately I have been avoiding both of them.

Intel, for all their problems, have given me far less grief than

either nVidia or ATI/AMD. *With the radeonhd driver and newer ATI/AMD

devices, I have hope that things will get better in the future.

When I try this it fails on the*Kernel*which is an RT one on here,I assume that we cant build the driver against that
Cheers and thanks for the help

Bob