Old 09-05-2010, 03:53 AM
Gustin Johnson

Default Xorg.conf 800 x 600

On 10-09-03 02:37 AM, Frank Smith wrote:
> Hi All
>

> There are actually three different drivers; envyng, nv, and nvidia
> (glx). It does not really matter but I am curious which driver is
> actually being used.
>

> Seems to be the NV driver now
>

> I have had far better luck in
> getting the driver from nvidia.com <http://nvidia.com>. The install
> process is a bit more
> manual but it does work. Lately I have been avoiding both of them.
> Intel, for all their problems, have given me far less grief than
> either nVidia or ATI/AMD. With the radeonhd driver and newer ATI/AMD
> devices, I have hope that things will get better in the future.
>

> When I try this it fails on the Kernel which is an RT one on here,
> I assume that we cant build the driver against that

The answer is definitely maybe. In the past I have had both success and
failure with the nVidia (and ATI fglrx) binary drivers on RT patched
kernels. To be fair I have had the same problems with most proprietary
3rd party kernel modules (Vmware I am looking at you and your crappy
modules!!!).

I would not say that you could not use the binary drivers, but I would
avoid that hardware if possible (newer ATI devices use the radeonhd
driver which is part of the stock kernel and should work better with RT
kernels, I have not tested this yet).

Hth,