Old 07-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Brian Bergstrom

Default For the German consumer protection Linux multimedia doesn't exist

Maybe this one flew over my head, but what is a 'hols'?

-Brian

Old 07-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Robin Gareus

On 07/26/2010 04:27 PM, Brian Bergstrom wrote:
> Maybe this one flew over my head, but what is a 'hols'?
> -Brian

Holydays, maybe? Would at least fit into the context.

> On 7/26/10 6:43 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> N24 a news television channel is giving wrong information about video
>> editing software, the bad with it is, that even 'Stiftung Warentest', a
>> consumer protection organisation speaking on this television channel in
>> the news, just talked about Windows and that people need to buy, buy,
>> buy software and 'better' computers. They give concrete untrue
>> statements. It's because in Germany are hols and people usually film
>> their hols.

I don't own a TV for over 10 years now so I can't really comment on this
but: was there ever any TV channel that did not spread misinformation?

FWIW "Tageschau" (the news of the 'first german television channel' aka
ARD) is edited with Kino on Linux. AFAIK they even paid the Kino
developer for a while.

robin

Old 07-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 17:34 +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 07/26/2010 04:27 PM, Brian Bergstrom wrote:
> > Maybe this one flew over my head, but what is a 'hols'?
> > -Brian
>
> Holydays, maybe? Would at least fit into the context.
>

> > On 7/26/10 6:43 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >> N24 a news television channel is giving wrong information about video
> >> editing software, the bad with it is, that even 'Stiftung Warentest', a
> >> consumer protection organisation speaking on this television channel in
> >> the news, just talked about Windows and that people need to buy, buy,
> >> buy software and 'better' computers. They give concrete untrue
> >> statements. It's because in Germany are hols and people usually film
> >> their hols.
>
> I don't own a TV for over 10 years now so I can't really comment on this
> but: was there ever any TV channel that did not spread misinformation?
>
> FWIW "Tageschau" (the news of the 'first german television channel' aka
> ARD) is edited with Kino on Linux. AFAIK they even paid the Kino
> developer for a while.
>
> robin

Yes it should be 'holidays', regarding to the online dictionary I most
of the times use, http://www.dict.cc/?s=ferien.

I heard about regulated by public law German television using Kino too.

Of course Kino is too hard to use for the averaged consumer, but there
are a lot of easy to use video editing applications for Linux, that
could do the same simple things, not more, not less, as those Windows
applications N24 and Stiftung Warentest were talking about.

The guy from Stiftung Warentest, a consumer protection organisation,
does say that the manuals for Windows applications aren't good, so
people should also pay for courses, how to cut a holiday video.
Manuals indeed are an issue for Linux too, but it seems to be not better
for low cost Windows applications.

Windows does pay for commercials on television channels, but a consumer
protection organisation has to be independent.

Ralf