Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default S/PDIF by FOC

Hi

is anybody experienced with S/PDIF by fibre-optic cables? The last days
I tried to call a friend who is experienced, but unfortunately I
couldn't reach him.

Regarding to the web it seems to be, that TOSLINK jacks always do have
the same size, independently of the cable's diameter. Is this correct?

If so, what advantages and disadvantages do have different diameters for
those cables?

I only do have experiences with S/PDIF by electric wire.

The shop where I usually order electronic components do not inform about
the kind of cable. I don't know if they are made of plastic or
fibreglass. It's written that flexible plastic should be ok up to 1.5m
and less flexible fibreglass should be ok up to 5m.
I assume that if I need short 1m cables to sync 2 sound cards for analog
usage, the TOSLINK to TOSLINK cables with a cable's diameter of 2.2mm
are ok and if I wish to use just one sound card, but with the converters
from my DAT recorders, the 3m cables should be the one with diameters
with 5.0mm.

Right now the postman delivered a second Terratec EWX 24/96 sound card.
This sound cards have got easy to use external optical S/PDIF IOs and
uncomfortable to use internal electric S/PDIF and I'm not sure if it's
for input and output, but I think it also supports both.
The new secondhand sound card was delivered with one optical cable, I
guess one cable should be enough to sync the two sound cards. Right?

The shop were I usually order has got opto to coax and coax to opto
converters. Does anybody ever used such converters?

I've got two DAT recorders, unfortunately the drives are broken, but the
AD/DA converters do have a better sound quality, but the Terratec once.

One is a Sony DTC-670. This DAT recorder supports optical IOs and coax
out only, while the second DAT recorder, an Aiwa HD-S1 has got no
optical IOs, but coax IOs, hence I'm thinking to order those converters
at 8.65€ for a single converter.
Btw. a single 1m opto-cable TOSLINK to TOSLINK with a diameter of 2.2mm
does cost 0.95€ and a single opto-cable, also TOSLINK on both sides, of
3m, with a diameter of 5.0mm does cost 2.40€. Are there reasons not to
use such cheap equipment? E.g. because of latency for the converters or
attenuation for the cables.

I scheduled to get 64 Studio 3.0 and 3.3 from my broken hard disk drive,
by using a hammer or something softer, to free the heads, when they do
this click-click sound, but because the postman delivered the second
sound card I'm too curious, so I'll restore at least 3.3 from a backup,
to my new hard disk drive and delay the original plan.

Hopefully it will warm down within the next hours, at the moment it's
too hot in my music room. If so, a report about using the PCI MIDI with
64 Studio and recording external MIDI might follow today.

Will there be differences for audio and MIDI, when using the "vesa",
"nv" or "nvidia" drivers? I noticed that when I switched from the
internal ATI to the PCI express NVIDIA, the now disconnected USB MIDI
had another rhythm for jitter. While for the ATI there was jitter nearly
all the time, for the NVIDIA there sometimes is less, nearly no jitter
and sometimes much more jitter, but it seems to make no difference what
driver I'm using for both graphics.

Cheers!

Ralf