Old 06-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default How can I remove those files from a FAT32 USB stick ...

PS:

I copied /home of 3.3 beta by gnome-terminal and/or Nautilus from 3.3
alpha to the USB stick and I tried to delete it, when I run Suse 11.2
and 64 Studio 3.0 beta. I guess I never had this when I copied any /home
by Suse 11.2 or 64 Studio 3.0 beta, but perhaps I didn't copy a complete
/home, resp. only by using TAR.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Gustin Johnson

On 10-06-19 01:08 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> ... without reformat the USB stick?
>
> rm: cannot remove `/media/INTENSO/a64/spinymouse/.gnome2/36^5oD.∙╫':
> Read-only file system
> rm: cannot remove
> `/media/INTENSO/a64/spinymouse/.gnome2/÷╫wé34|ft.╗∞N': Input/output error

The Input/Output error is bad (I usually see it when dealing with
failing hard drives). It happens when weird things go on with USB
devices. Removing and re-inserting is usually a good idea.

> There might be hundreds of similar files. Most of the times I save files
> by TAR to the FAT32 stick, but usually just drag'n'drop files are ok too.
>
> After this 'errors' I need to disconnect and connect the stick again,
> but after doing this, I'm able to e.g. run
>
> $ sudo rm -rf /media/INTENSO/a64/spinymouse/.profile
>
> and it did remove .profile.

There are some significant limitations to all of the FAT filesystems.
As you are probably using localization settings (ie. your language is
not set to en-us), I would recommend not just copying your home
directory to a FAT filesystem. Use tar and compression to preserve
UTF-8 characters and permissions. When you copy things back from a FAT
filesystem that meta data is lost.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> On 10-06-19 01:08 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> ... without reformat the USB stick?
>>
>> rm: cannot remove `/media/INTENSO/a64/spinymouse/.gnome2/36^5oD.∙╫':
>> Read-only file system
>> rm: cannot remove
>> `/media/INTENSO/a64/spinymouse/.gnome2/÷╫wé34|ft.╗∞N': Input/output error
>>

> The Input/Output error is bad (I usually see it when dealing with
> failing hard drives). It happens when weird things go on with USB
> devices. Removing and re-inserting is usually a good idea.
>

>> There might be hundreds of similar files. Most of the times I save files
>> by TAR to the FAT32 stick, but usually just drag'n'drop files are ok too.
>>
>> After this 'errors' I need to disconnect and connect the stick again,
>> but after doing this, I'm able to e.g. run
>>
>> $ sudo rm -rf /media/INTENSO/a64/spinymouse/.profile
>>
>> and it did remove .profile.
>>

> There are some significant limitations to all of the FAT filesystems.
> As you are probably using localization settings (ie. your language is
> not set to en-us), I would recommend not just copying your home
> directory to a FAT filesystem. Use tar and compression to preserve
> UTF-8 characters and permissions. When you copy things back from a FAT
> filesystem that meta data is lost.
>
>> I tried the shred command, chmod and much more esoteric tricks on
>> Suse and 64 Studio without success.

The language of my Linuxes is set to en-us. Encoding for the file system
'should be' UTF-8. Of cause for important backups I'm using TAR ...

spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~$ ls -hAl /media/INTENSO
total 4.7G
-rwx------ 1 spinymouse-sudo root 3.0G 2010-06-19 01:18
64studio3.0beta3_19Jun2010-0.tar.gz
-rwx------ 1 spinymouse-sudo root 853M 2010-06-03 16:55
64studio3.3alpha_03Jun2010-0.tar.gz
-rwx------ 1 spinymouse-sudo root 862M 2010-06-19 00:50
64studio3.3alpha_19Jun2010-0.tar.gz
drwx------ 3 spinymouse-sudo root 4.0K 2010-06-18 23:46 a64
drwx------ 4 spinymouse-sudo root 4.0K 2010-06-05 09:06 a64~pre06-slide
drwx------ 3 spinymouse-sudo root 4.0K 2010-01-13 01:22 all-in-one_supplier
drwx------ 4 spinymouse-sudo root 4.0K 2010-01-13 00:54 devoid_of_meaning
-rwx------ 1 spinymouse-sudo root 512 2010-04-14 22:02
MBR_pre_64studio3.3alpha1_IDE
-rwx------ 1 spinymouse-sudo root 512 2010-04-14 22:02
MBR_pre_64studio3.3alpha1_SATA
drwx------ 2 spinymouse-sudo root 4.0K 2010-06-09 18:59 TMP_Backup

... but sometimes I just drag and drop.

I wish to keep FAT32, because of all that idio.., äh, friends who run
other OSs and it also is an advantage when I wish to update my BIOS. I
fear that the USB stick is broken :S. I had the same stick before and
got a new because of the warranty, resp. there might be an issue for 3.3
alpha.

Hm, I guess I should try to 'delete' the files one by another using a
disk monitor/editor .

Anyway, I hope to get a 'better' answer, but I expected what I thought
myself .

Anyway, thank you ,

Ralf

Old 06-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Gustin Johnson

On 10-06-20 01:54 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Gustin Johnson wrote:
>> On 10-06-19 01:08 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>>> ... without reformat the USB stick?
>>>
>>> rm: cannot remove `/media/INTENSO/a64/spinymouse/.gnome2/36^5oD.∙╫':
>>> Read-only file system
>>> rm: cannot remove
>>> `/media/INTENSO/a64/spinymouse/.gnome2/÷╫wé34|ft.╗∞N': Input/output error
>>>

>> The Input/Output error is bad (I usually see it when dealing with
>> failing hard drives). It happens when weird things go on with USB
>> devices. Removing and re-inserting is usually a good idea.

The file system itself could also be corrupt. If it were my drive I
would copy of the data I could, then I would reformat the USB drive.

>>> There might be hundreds of similar files. Most of the times I save files
>>> by TAR to the FAT32 stick, but usually just drag'n'drop files are ok too.
>>>
>>> After this 'errors' I need to disconnect and connect the stick again,
>>> but after doing this, I'm able to e.g. run
>>>
>>> $ sudo rm -rf /media/INTENSO/a64/spinymouse/.profile
>>>
>>> and it did remove .profile.
>>>

>> There are some significant limitations to all of the FAT filesystems.
>> As you are probably using localization settings (ie. your language is
>> not set to en-us), I would recommend not just copying your home
>> directory to a FAT filesystem. Use tar and compression to preserve
>> UTF-8 characters and permissions. When you copy things back from a FAT
>> filesystem that meta data is lost.
>>
>>> I tried the shred command, chmod and much more esoteric tricks on
>>> Suse and 64 Studio without success.
>>>

> The language of my Linuxes is set to en-us. Encoding for the file system
> 'should be' UTF-8. Of cause for important backups I'm using TAR ...

<snip>

> ... but sometimes I just drag and drop.
>
> I wish to keep FAT32, because of all that idio.., äh, friends who run

Then you should mount the drive manually, with the "iocharset=utf8"
option. If you use this device a lot, you may wish to consider creating
a custom udev script for this device. There are a number of howtos for
this on the net.

> other OSs and it also is an advantage when I wish to update my BIOS. I
> fear that the USB stick is broken :S. I had the same stick before and
> got a new because of the warranty, resp. there might be an issue for 3.3
> alpha.
>
> Hm, I guess I should try to 'delete' the files one by another using a
> disk monitor/editor .

You may have to reformat the drive.