Old 06-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Frank Smith

Default Nvidia drivers EnvyNG fails to find card

Hi All
How is the Nvidia driver coming along?
I still cannot play any Avi's as I don't have the proper driver.
I tried installing EnvyNG but it cannot find a driver for my card.
I have a Gforce 9400 GT which has always worked in 64studio before Bete 3.

Is this card no longer supported by Linux in general?

Cheers
Bob

Old 06-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Frank Smith wrote:
> Hi All
> How is the Nvidia driver coming along?
> I still cannot play any Avi's as I don't have the proper driver.
> I tried installing EnvyNG but it cannot find a driver for my card.
> I have a Gforce 9400 GT which has always worked in 64studio before Bete 3.
>
> Is this card no longer supported by Linux in general?
>
> Cheers
> Bob

I'm unable to build the driver for my GeForce 7200 GS for 64 Studio 3.0
beta, but for 3.3 alpha I could build the driver.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Frank Smith wrote:
>> Hi All
>> How is the Nvidia driver coming along?
>> I still cannot play any Avi's as I don't have the proper driver.
>> I tried installing EnvyNG but it cannot find a driver for my card.
>> I have a Gforce 9400 GT which has always worked in 64studio before
>> Bete 3.
>>
>> Is this card no longer supported by Linux in general?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Bob
>
> I'm unable to build the driver for my GeForce 7200 GS for 64 Studio
> 3.0 beta, but for 3.3 alpha I could build the driver.

The proprietary driver, the FLOSS driver is ok for both.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Frank Smith wrote:
> Hi Ralph
> I'm not sure what driver I'm using!
> Seems ok now though.
> I had a few avi's that didn't seem to play but I think they maybe in
> wide screen format and this is causing a problem.
>
> Cheers
> Bob

Hi Frank

no, some AVIs and WMVs sometimes don't play regarding to versions of
codec packages for Linux or because of the used media player. I
sometimes try different media players. Btw. those Windows codecs or
containers sometimes even can't be played on Windows PCs, especially
those from 'permissive artwork pages'. I wonder if those videos are
really videos all the time. High definition formats are ok, I only had
issues when I try to convert from wide screen to 4:3, people became
Coneheads, Mickey Mouse voices and video and audio were completely out
of sync.

I don't suspect the X driver or your graphics, but codec libs,
applications and malicious non-videos.

Cheers!

Ralf

Old 06-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Gustin Johnson

On 10-06-19 07:17 AM, Frank Smith wrote:
> Hi All
> How is the Nvidia driver coming along?
> I still cannot play any Avi's as I don't have the proper driver.
> I tried installing EnvyNG but it cannot find a driver for my card.

The Envy driver is for a very old nVidia line. It will not work with
your particular device.

> I have a Gforce 9400 GT which has always worked in 64studio before Bete 3.
>
> Is this card no longer supported by Linux in general?

There are problems shipping nVidia "drivers" by default. Your best bet
is to go to nvidia.com and download the driver from there. For that to
work, you need to install the "build-essential" and "kernel-headers"
packages.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Frank Smith

Hi Gustin
Thanks for that,* I think the* avi I was using was corrupted* as the others play fine now.
I'll stick with the normal driver as I don't need 3d and stuff.

Cheers
Bob

Old 06-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> Hi Gustin
> Thanks for that, I think the avi I was using was corrupted as the
> others play fine now.
> I'll stick with the normal driver as I don't need 3d and stuff.
>
> Cheers
> Bob

Good choice, unfortunately I wish to use 3D stuff, but if you don't need
it, don't try to get the proprietary driver. I'm 99,999999999999% sure
that those AVIs were 'corrupted'.

2 cents,
Ralf