Old 06-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Auto connect (via Jack ALSA tab) for Qysynth and Brisol

Regarding to the audio connections
http://tapas.affenbande.org/wordpress/?page_id=14 is a useful
application. Note that when writing scripts so start an audio session +
doing connections e.g. by jack_snapshot or by |jack_connect|, you need
to start some apps with a switch not to use the PID in the JACK client name.

Some apps are able to store connections, e.g. Qtractor does store JACK
audio and ALSA MIDI connections, but only when they are connected to
Qtractor. For some apps you can set up the preferences to auto connect
or not to auto connect.

When you don't run all-in-one apps (all -in-on apps are usual on MacOS
and Windows), but launch several apps (common for Linux), a shell script
seems to be the best way to handle such audio sessions, if you won't
launch all apps manually. I didn't experienced that Linux audio session
handlers are ok until today.

Writing shell scripts for this usage is self-explaining. Btw the '-X
seq' switch for the jackd ALSA audio-driver will add a bridge between
JACK MIDI and ALSA MIDI.

Ignore the

### CPU ferquency scaling
echo "
Setting up CPU frequency scaling for 64 Studio 3.0-beta3"
cpufreq-selector -g performance
if [ $? = 0 ] ; then echo "Done" ; fi

for the script, this is just for my customized 64 Studio.

#!/bin/sh
# sh start-session

song_path=`pwd`
song_name="devoid_of_meaning"
song_version="09"
song_date="Feb/27/2010"
song_info="

############################

# Project: $song_name

# Version: $song_version

# $song_date Ralf Mardorf

############################
"

if [ $USER = "root" ] ; then
echo "
Only a user is allowed to run this script
"
else
echo $song_info

### CPU ferquency scaling
echo "
Setting up CPU frequency scaling for 64 Studio 3.0-beta3"
cpufreq-selector -g performance
if [ $? = 0 ] ; then echo "Done" ; fi

### Killall
apps="jack_snapshot qtractor sr-2a jackd"
echo "
killall -9 -w $apps"
killall -9 -w $apps

### Restore session
echo "
Restoring session "
sample_rate=96000
frames_period=512
echo "
jackd -Rdalsa -dhw:0 -r$sample_rate -p$frames_period -n2 -Xseq"
jackd -Rdalsa -dhw:0 -r$sample_rate -p$frames_period -n2 -Xseq & sleep 2
sr-2a & sleep 2
qtractor "$song_path/qtr/$song_name-$song_version.qtr" & sleep 2
jack_snapshot restore "$song_path/$song_name-$song_version.jsnap"
echo
fi
exit 0

Old 06-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Pablo Fernandez wrote:

> This script calls the command line tools jack_connect and aconnect to
> make JACK audio and ALSA MIDI connections, respectively.
>

> Also, you may find this writing useful:
>
> http://digitaldub.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/linux-audio-session-scripting/
>
> Cheers! Pablo

'kill script
It is handy to have a little kill script for terminating the session. An
example:

#!/bin/bash
echo === attentione ===
echo "really quit? you have 3 seconds..."
sleep 3
echo "...killing session..."
killall -w seq24
killall -w yoshimi
killall -w ardour-2.8.4
echo "...session dead."'

IMO it's useful to start the script that will restore your session with
a killall command. I experienced that 'killall -9 -w application_name'
is needed. I guess instead of the '-9' you also could write '-SIGKILL',
I never tested it. But by default kill all does a
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGTERM instead of a
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGKILL.