Old 06-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Help needed regarding to the mastering - WAV conversion / resampling (and some additional notes, regarding to serious problems)

Hi

I experienced trouble when I wish to get a stereo WAV at 44.1 kHz 16-bit
signed. Basis is a Qtractor multi-track recording at 96 kHz 32-bit float.

In theory I could use any software as the mastering recorder, but I
would prefer to use something like jack_capture, just in case that a
production needs all the resources of the computer.

So far I didn't checked out how to master + directly do the conversion /
resampling when using jack_capture.
While the stereo mastering at 96 kHz 32-bit float is ok [1], I wasn't
able to do a converson / resampling that is suitable. I'm not talking
about a loss for the sound quality being on the cards, but about added
noise that is extremely loud, while the original mastering at 96 kHz
32-bit float is free of that kind of audible noise.

I also noticed that the 44.1 kHz 16-bit signed WAV need more MiB as the
original 96 kHz 32-bit float WAV does, mathematically nonsense.

To cut the matter short. I tested different apps. What apps did you
experienced as the best apps for doing the mastering and what apps for
doing conversion / resampling? How do you master + convert?

TIA!

Cheers!

Ralf

[1] by the way, for comparison of the sound quality with the multi-track
recording I needed to import the stereo master by Qtractor, because
Linux media players tend to reduced the sound quality and I always do
take care of the settings

PS regarding to Qtractor: There's something bad with the offset for
audio clips. While it's fine that the offset will add negative delay,
there are issues because of the values, when I try to compensate the
latency. The offset will change at different BPMs. And it's impossible
to e.g. compensate 5.3 ms, because I couldn't choose 5 ms, but I guess
just 3 ms and 7 ms or something similar, regarding to the BPM. Yesterday
I received an email from a friend who is a prestigious Jazz musician:
"[snip] bitte ohne Computer!!!!!!! [snip]", on English "please without
computer!!!!!!!". When prestigious Linux audio coders say that ms for
jitter and latency are inaudible, they please should get more contact to
prestigious musicians.
Regarding to
http://lists.64studio.com/pipermail/64studio-devel/2010-June/006847.html,
I noticed inaudible "JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync Process error
JackEngine::XRun: client = Qtractor was not run: state = 2" when using
Qtractor alone (without Rakarrack). I don't get this messages all the
time, but I do get those messages.
Btw. recording audio tracks by Qtractor will cause a loss of the audio
quality, while there seems to be no loss, when I record audio signals by
using jack_capture.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:12:40 +0200, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
>> Btw. recording audio tracks by Qtractor will cause a loss of the audio
>> quality, while there seems to be no loss, when I record audio signals by
>>

>> using jack_capture.
>>

> care to share some evidences?
>
> after all, sure you have some, haven't you? like the plain audio files you
> recorded from the very same source? if i can assume that, both qtractor and
> jack_capture does it through libsndfile.
>
> now, are the audio file sample formats equivalent? on your premises,
> sample-rate is 96khz on either way, so no problem about that.
>
> in order to make any kind of an apples-to-apples comparison, make sure you
> set Qtractor/View/Options.../Audio/Capture&Export/Format in sync with what
> jack_capture does (iirc, default used to be wav float, ymmv)
>
> cheers

I'm able to reproduce the evidences, but I'm short in time and if
possible I prefer to test JACK 1 instead of JACK 2 ASAP, because I wish
to be able to use Qtractor + Rakarrack, while top displays that the
computer has got enough resources. Because at the moment I'm fighting
against the problem, that I can't record my guitar on any sound quality .

To be continued.

Ralf