Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Jürgen Schöneberg

Default IRQ for soundcard

Hej!

because of I get xruns on my machine

64studio
2.6.21-1-multimedia-486 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Fri Jun 22 19:13:23 UTC 2007 i686
GNU/Linux

I wonder if my soundcard is positioned in the best PCI slot:

a 'cat /proc/interrupts' shows:
CPU0
0: 769 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 656 IO-APIC-edge i8042
6: 5 IO-APIC-edge floppy
7: 0 IO-APIC-edge parport0
8: 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
10: 0 IO-APIC-edge MPU401 UART
12: 199075 IO-APIC-edge i8042
14: 20983 IO-APIC-edge ide0
15: 68316 IO-APIC-edge ide1
16: 18937 IO-APIC-fasteoi eth1
17: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1
18: 242882 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci1394, radeon@pci:0000:01:00.0
19: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb2
20: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb3
21: 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb4
22: 16527 IO-APIC-fasteoi Ensoniq AudioPCI
NMI: 0
LOC: 1085882
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

is '22: 16527 IO-APIC-fasteoi Ensoniq AudioPCI' ok or should
I try another slot to 'move' to another IRQ ?

thanks
Juergen

Old 01-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Daniel James

Hi Jürgen,

> is '22: 16527 IO-APIC-fasteoi Ensoniq AudioPCI' ok or should
> I try another slot to 'move' to another IRQ ?

Possibly - this is more complicated than it used to be, because with an
APIC it's the vector of the number that counts:

http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2004/01/0367.html

If you don't have dual processors or a dual-core processor, you can try
booting with noapic on the Grub command line, and checking the
interrupts again. Then, you just move the soundcard slot or change
assignment in the BIOS until it sits on IRQ 9, 10 or 11:

http://lowlatency.linuxaudio.org/#irq

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Jürgen Schöneberg

Thanks for your help!

I tried it with jackd -R -P70 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2
but I still get ca 3-4 xruns per hour. But I can live with that.

I also just have a cheap Creative Labs Soundblaster PCI 128, maybe I
will by a better one. (maybe a m-audio Audiophile 2496 )

I also tried to change the IRQ for the soundcard, first by setting
IRQ 9 in the BIOS, end rhen also by setting the card into different PCI
slot, but with no succes. The /proc/interrupts is always showing
something like
22: 16527 IO-APIC-fasteoi Ensoniq AudioPCI

but maybe this is the best solution

I also read
Troubleshooting Linux Audio, Part 3a
August 18th, 2007 by Dave Phillips
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000262

but for me it's not clear if "22: 16527 IO-APIC-fasteoi Ensoniq
AudioPCI" is a good interruppt assignemnet or not, and if it's possible to
change this.)

IRQ 11 seems not to be used at all on my machine (btw a old and noisy one):

cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 770 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 1689 IO-APIC-edge i8042