Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 PM
"mike clemow"

Default SuperCollider on 64Studio?

Marije,

Thanks, I think that this is basically good news.

> The problem with building from source on 64studio, is that you will
> need some dev packages, which you will need to get from Debian.

I can get these packages from the etch repos, I assume?

> btw, if you are actually on a 64-bit machine, check the SuperCollider
> swiki for building, since the language does not work natively on
> 64-bit. There are some hints on the swiki on how to install SC in that
> case.

No, we're still using 32-bit machines over here. ;-)

Thanks again,
Mike

Old 01-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Daniel James

Hi Mike,

>> The problem with building from source on 64studio, is that you will
>> need some dev packages, which you will need to get from Debian.
>
> I can get these packages from the etch repos, I assume?

Yes indeed. We originally left these out of the install image to fit the
iso on a 700MB CD-R. Now we're on DVD-R, there's a good case for
including the dev packages.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 01-15-2008, 11:47 AM
tim hall

mike clemow wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm curious whether anyone is using SuperCollider on 64Studio and, if
> they are, whether they installed it from source or used a .deb package
> somewhere. I know that there's one in Debian unstable, but I don't
> want to mix repos. Any hints?

I wish. :|

cheers,

tim

Old 01-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Michael Pacey

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 05:56:03PM -0500, mike clemow wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm curious whether anyone is using SuperCollider on 64Studio and, if
> they are, whether they installed it from source or used a .deb package
> somewhere. I know that there's one in Debian unstable, but I don't
> want to mix repos. Any hints?
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

Hi,

I seem to recall that the package in the debian/unstable repo was well
out of date and comments to the effect that it was going to be orphaned.

I built from source (svn) but it comes with the debian/rules stuff to
autobuild a .deb which worked nicely. Note that the sclang component
does not run in 64-bit so you have to build it 32-bit and run it from a
32-bit chroot. Or use the 32-bit version of 64 Studio.

I've stopped using it, for the time being, because of the learning
hurdles. A lot of the interesting material available on the net requires
GUI components which aren't implemented under Linux. It seems still to
be a fairly Mac centric world, I think. I decided PD and csound would
reward my time investment more productively. This is a shame because I
enjoyed the language, but just getting MIDI to work was quite painful.
The built-in MIDI primitives are fairly basic, and people seem to use
the dewdrop library which provides more sophisticated abstractions, but
I had problems with it because some of the classes required the GUI to
be functional. Maybe I'm missing something but I spent several days
getting nowhere. The documentation is Mac centric too. I hope this will
change, as I want to use it.

Is this your first time with supercollider on linux? If so, maybe I can
save you some time. The default interface is the emacs sclang mode. I
don't like emacs, I like vi. If you're the same look into scvim, it's
pretty good. If you don't like vi or emacs, then there's a gedit plugin
called sced, it's nice too.

Hope this helps.

Michael