Old 05-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Daniel James

Default Backing up Ardour Files

Hi Bob,

See also the tips at:

http://www.jrigg.co.uk/linuxaudio/audio-backup-dvd.txt

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 05-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Frank Smith

HI
*Love all the 'zeplin'* file names in that link!!
The writer must be my age!!!

Cheers
All

Old 05-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Gustin Johnson

On 10-05-16 01:34 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Gustin Johnson wrote:
<snip>
> I wasn't at LAC, but I guess they were talking about a lack of
> documentation too. Your opinion seems to be an exceptional opinion.

There may be a lack of centralised documentation, but I have found that
in the past 15 years the answer was almost always out there. Since
google came along I ususally don't have to work very hard to find it.

> Yes a good idea, every musician using Linux should read the advanced
> bash guides, sounds close to reality for the dash issue and the file
> name issue in general:

Actually every OS has similar limitations and problems. Every single
one of my friends with a Windows DAW has run in to something similar.
Most often an invalid character or a path that is 256 characters long
(including directories).

The point is that people should take responsibility for the tools they
use. Something like invalid characters is extremely well documented for
just about every system out there. I do not have a problem with someone
not knowing about this limitation, but I do have a problem with someone
just shooting their mouth off about something which he or she obviously
did no research about.

To be clear, the OP did the right thing and asked a question in very
good way, and provided some pretty good data to help resolve the
problem. You on the other hand just made an off the cuff statement
about something not being well documented. Please do your research.

<snip>

> 'Are Linux users lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of reliable, well-engineered commercial software?'
> -- Matt Welsh

That is a funny quote. Can you find the rest of it so that we can put
it into context? This snippet seems like it is the punch line to a joke
(reliable, well-engineered commercial software is a punch line more
often than it is not).

> Linux is the most worse documented OS (of the OSs that have a "bigger"
> user community) regarding to what users do need. A good documentation
> needs a good index + enough hits by search engines. Users often, e.g.
> musicians often aren't nerds who wish to learn how to use a terminal and
> other stuff that is completely irrelevant for a musician and btw. I know

Yup, just like I believe that no musician or artist needs to mess with
the registry. Like it, love it, or hate, it simply is what it is.
Fortunatly the solution is easy. Pick a platform or series of tools
which suits one's own workflow. I know youngish people in their 20's
who are far more comfortable with analogue gear. It all depends on what
kind of work flow that you want.

<snip>
> If your hobby is the computer the Linux documentation is fine. If you're
> a typist you would visit a desktop and openoffice class. If you are a
> musician? How many on this list do use Linux at home, but Pro Tools &
> Co. at work?

Music is a hobby, and I regularly use Sonar and Cubase along with a lot
Native Instruments and Propeller Heads software. You should see all the
problems we have had with Windows 7. Right now, out of 5 DAWs, mine is
the only one running natively in 64bit with all 8 GiB of RAM being
addressable. Some of the other DAWs have better hardware but are being
crippled by their OS. It may suck but there is not a lot that can be
done about it.

This is not to say that I don't ever have problems with Linux, in fact I
do run into issues and annoyances on a regular basis. Every time I do
though, I remember that I choose what to run on my computer. I also
usually find a work around or a fix after a few minutes of googling.

No system is as yet perfect perfect, we make do with what we have.

> Regarding to the problem of the original post, it's possible to get a
> lot of links that nearly say the same about the signs that are allowed
> for file names, but OTOH there's somebody having an issue seemingly
> because he used the < and > signs for track names. The application
> allowed him to do this and now he has got trouble. It's not only that
> for Linux < and > are allowed signs for file names, but also that even
> the poster child of Linux audio apps seems to fail.

Like I said before, all OSs have similar issues.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Gustin Johnson

On 10-05-16 03:01 PM, Andre Majorel wrote:
> On 2010-05-16 16:02 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:
>
>> HI it's fat32 according to G parted!
>> I remember this was for a windoze laptop I had years ago,
>> could this be the problem?
>
> You bet. FAT is not nearly as liberal as Unix when it comes to
> file names.
>
> As Ralf said, you can work around that by using an archiver like
> tar or cpio.

One thing to keep an eye out for is that a large .tar file will cause
you issues. FAT32 supports 4GiB file sizes IIRC, though in practice the
Windows Explorer seems to die at 2Gib.

If you are backing up to a FAT32 drive, try to split the archive in to
something less than 2 GiB.

> Or reformat the partition as ext3 or some such. Then you'll be
> able to do incremental backups with rsync.

This is in fact how I/we do it (cygwin + rsync to sync with a linux
machine, then rdiff-backup from that machine to a long term storage
array).

Old 05-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Daniel James

Hi Gustin,

> You should see all the
> problems we have had with Windows 7. Right now, out of 5 DAWs, mine is
> the only one running natively in 64bit with all 8 GiB of RAM being
> addressable.

Wooohooo! I'm glad to hear we're still in the lead on that one :-)

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 05-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Ralf Mardorf

>> 'Are Linux users lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of reliable, well-engineered commercial software?'
>> -- Matt Welsh
>>

> That is a funny quote. Can you find the rest of it so that we can put
> it into context? This snippet seems like it is the punch line to a joke
> (reliable, well-engineered commercial software is a punch line more
> often than it is not).

I don't know the context, but Matt Welsh should be pro Linux . No
doubt, it's an ironically statement pro Linux.
Btw. I'm using several search engines, but unfortunately the best hits
regarding to searches about Linux issues are given by the original Google.

> I know youngish people in their 20's
> who are far more comfortable with analogue gear. It all depends on what
> kind of work flow that you want.

A friend writing the http://www.cosmiclava.de/ ezine some days ago
confirmed that lot of bands he's in touch with only use analog equipment.

>> It's not only that
>> for Linux < and > are allowed signs for file names, but also that even
>> the poster child of Linux audio apps seems to fail.
>>

> Like I said before, all OSs have similar issues.

Fortunately it wasn't Ardour, but because Bob did the backup to a FAT32
partition.

-Ralf