FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > 64 Studio > 64 Studio User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Frank Smith
 
Default Backing up Ardour Files

I copied the whole ardour session file to an external drive.
Then started getting invalid file name errors

Cheers
Bob


On 16 May 2010 15:13, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 14:59 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:

> HI All

> This is now what I get after copying the interchange files back to the

> Ardour session ( note I had to remove a space in the File name of

> lately as it gave an error) [snip]



How did you do the backup?



This is still the correct path;

"/media/disk/All-Multitrack/lately/interchange/lately /audiofiles"?

It didn't change to something similar to;

"/media/backup/All-Multitrack/lately/interchange/lately /audiofiles" ?



Btw. there are no < and > here:

"cannot find required file (Lately Choir 180410-L.wav)"





_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 05-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Frank Smith
 
Default Backing up Ardour Files

Hi All

Just found this as I go:

*******************************

*<Sources>
*** <Source name="Audio 2-2.wav" id="1015" captured-for="" 2" flags="" channel="0"/>

*** <Source name="&lt;F2&gt;vox 5-0-bounce-1.wav" id="46263" flags="Writable,CanRename,Removable,RemovableIfEmp ty" channel="0"/>
*** <Source name="ax tele-0-bounce-1.wav" id="46279" flags="Writable,CanRename,Removable,RemovableIfEmp ty" channel="0"/>

*** <Source name="&lt;F2&gt;vox-0-bounce-1.wav" id="46295" flags="Writable,CanRename,Removable,RemovableIfEmp ty" channel="0"/>
*** <Source name="&lt;F1&gt;vox bob-0-bounce-1.wav" id="46311" flags="Writable,CanRename,Removable,RemovableIfEmp ty" channel="0"/>

*** <Source name="&lt;F2&gt;new vox-0-bounce-1.wav" id="46327" flags="Writable,CanRename,Removable,RemovableIfEmp ty" channel="0"/>
*** <Source name="&lt;F1&gt;taylor 1-0-bounce-1.wav" id="46359" flags="Writable,CanRename,Removable,RemovableIfEmp ty" channel="0"/>

*** <Source name="&lt;F1&gt;kit -2-0-bounce-1.wav" id="46384" flags="Writable,CanRename,Removable,RemovableIfEmp ty" channel="0"/>
*** <Source name="&lt;F1&gt;Kit slow-0-bounce-1.wav" id="46400" flags="Writable,CanRename,Removable,RemovableIfEmp ty" channel="0"/>

*** <Source name="&lt;F1&gt;Kit slow-1-bounce-1.wav" id="46402" flags="Writable,CanRename,Removable,RemovableIfEmp ty" channel="0"/>
*** <Source name="Audio 1.1-0-bounce-1.wav" id="47598" flags="Writable,CanRename,Removable,RemovableIfEmp ty" channel="0"/>

*** <Source name="Audio 1-2.wav" id="59103" captured-for="" 1" flags="" channel="0"/>
*** <Source name="taylor 5-1.wav" id="59124" captured-for="" 5" flags="" channel="0"/>

*** <Source name="Audio 3-2.wav" id="59282" captured-for="" 3" flags="" channel="0"/>
*** <Source name="taylor 4-4.wav" id="59596" captured-for="" 4" flags="" channel="0"/>

* </Sources>
*********************************************


IS this file corrupted? as These seem to be the missing files?

Cheers
Bob





On 16 May 2010 15:20, Frank Smith <frsmith@gmail.com> wrote:

I copied the whole ardour session file to an external drive.
Then started getting invalid file name errors


Cheers
Bob


On 16 May 2010 15:13, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:


On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 14:59 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:

> HI All

> This is now what I get after copying the interchange files back to the

> Ardour session ( note I had to remove a space in the File name of

> lately as it gave an error) [snip]



How did you do the backup?



This is still the correct path;

"/media/disk/All-Multitrack/lately/interchange/lately /audiofiles"?

It didn't change to something similar to;

"/media/backup/All-Multitrack/lately/interchange/lately /audiofiles" ?



Btw. there are no < and > here:

"cannot find required file (Lately Choir 180410-L.wav)"







_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 05-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Backing up Ardour Files

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 15:27 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:
> "&lt;F2&gt;

There's a character set conversion for GNOME just to translate file
names, e.g. to get the signs instead of the unicode.

Search synaptic for "file name conversion" or "encoding" etc. ... I did
find "convmv" but I'm sure at least there will be another tool by GNOME
also available.

Did you mix FAT, NTFS and Linux file systems?

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 05-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Frank Smith
 
Default Backing up Ardour Files

HI Ralph
I think the external is Linux I'll try find out,* Could be fat come to think of it.

Cheers
Bob


On 16 May 2010 15:49, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 15:27 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:

> "&lt;F2&gt;



There's a character set conversion for GNOME just to translate file

names, e.g. to get the signs instead of the unicode.



Search synaptic for "file name conversion" or "encoding" etc. ... I did

find "convmv" but I'm sure at least there will be another tool by GNOME

also available.



Did you mix FAT, NTFS and Linux file systems?





_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 05-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Frank Smith
 
Default Backing up Ardour Files

HI it's fat32 according to G parted!
*I remember this was for a windoze laptop I had years ago,
could this be the problem?

Cheers
Bob


On 16 May 2010 15:56, Frank Smith <frsmith@gmail.com> wrote:

HI Ralph
I think the external is Linux I'll try find out,* Could be fat come to think of it.


Cheers
Bob


On 16 May 2010 15:49, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:


On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 15:27 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:

> "&lt;F2&gt;



There's a character set conversion for GNOME just to translate file

names, e.g. to get the signs instead of the unicode.



Search synaptic for "file name conversion" or "encoding" etc. ... I did

find "convmv" but I'm sure at least there will be another tool by GNOME

also available.



Did you mix FAT, NTFS and Linux file systems?







_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 05-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Backing up Ardour Files

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 16:02 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:
> HI it's fat32 according to G parted!
> I remember this was for a windoze laptop I had years ago,
> could this be the problem?
>
> Cheers
> Bob

Yes Bob, I guess we got it:

spinymouse@64studio:/media/INTENSO$ touch <test>
touch: setting times of `<test>': No such file or directory
spinymouse@64studio:/media/INTENSO$ touch ~/Desktop/<test>

/media/INTENSO is a FAT32 USB stick ~/Desktop is a ext4 hard disk
partition. Writing the file name '<test>' to the USB stick didn't work,
writing to ext4 and ext3 did work.

_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 05-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Backing up Ardour Files

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 17:44 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 16:02 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:
> > HI it's fat32 according to G parted!
> > I remember this was for a windoze laptop I had years ago,
> > could this be the problem?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Bob
>
> Yes Bob, I guess we got it:
>
> spinymouse@64studio:/media/INTENSO$ touch <test>
> touch: setting times of `<test>': No such file or directory
> spinymouse@64studio:/media/INTENSO$ touch ~/Desktop/<test>
>
> /media/INTENSO is a FAT32 USB stick ~/Desktop is a ext4 hard disk
> partition. Writing the file name '<test>' to the USB stick didn't work,
> writing to ext4 and ext3 did work.


You should do a backup of Linux files to a FAT32 partition by creating
an archive, this won't cause any issue.


_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Backing up Ardour Files

Frank Smith wrote:
> HI Ralf
> Many thanks I think this is the problem.
> I'll have to backup the external disk and format it to Linux as I have
> no windows here now!
>
> Cheers
> Bob

Note that you could use a TAR archive to preserve permissions and file
names or that for the future you only use 8 international "normal"
letters and numbers + a dot and again 3 international "normal" letters
and numbers .

If you like to share files with the computer of a friend, it might be an
advantage to keep FAT32. I keep FAT32 for my USB stick also to be able
to update the BIOS using the USB stick.
_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 05-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Andre Majorel
 
Default Backing up Ardour Files

On 2010-05-16 16:02 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:

> HI it's fat32 according to G parted!
> I remember this was for a windoze laptop I had years ago,
> could this be the problem?

You bet. FAT is not nearly as liberal as Unix when it comes to
file names.

As Ralf said, you can work around that by using an archiver like
tar or cpio.

Or reformat the partition as ext3 or some such. Then you'll be
able to do incremental backups with rsync.

--
André Majorel http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 
Old 05-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Backing up Ardour Files

Andre Majorel wrote:
> On 2010-05-16 16:02 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:
>
>
>> HI it's fat32 according to G parted!
>> I remember this was for a windoze laptop I had years ago,
>> could this be the problem?
>>
>
> You bet. FAT is not nearly as liberal as Unix when it comes to
> file names.
>
> As Ralf said, you can work around that by using an archiver like
> tar or cpio.
>
> Or reformat the partition as ext3 or some such. Then you'll be
> able to do incremental backups with rsync.
>

Because it's an external hard disk I at least would format a small
primary partition using FAT32 and one or more extended using ext3 or
ext4 and perhaps a Linux swap too. OTOH it depends to the usage
having just one partition formatted as extFS also could be a wise decision.
_______________________________________________
64studio-users mailing list
64studio-users@lists.64studio.com
http://lists.64studio.com/mailman/listinfo/64studio-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:15 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org