Old 04-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Daniel James

Default 3.3-alpha2 - a slightly less bleeding release

Hi all,

Here's an update fixing some of the worst bugs in 3.3-alpha1. Grub and
cdd-config bugs are fixed, for a smoother installation experience.

Features:

Real-time Linux kernel 2.6.31 (or 2.6.33 later)
JACK 1.9.5 or later
FFADO 2.0 or later
LXDE in place of GNOME
EXT4 file system by default
GRUB 2 prerelease by default
wicd in place of gnome-network-manager
The return of Debian-style root user accounts!

Iso images (379MB) for CD-R or DVD-R installation are available here:

http://pdk.64studio.com/projects/64studio/karmic/images/

There is also documentation for installing from a USB memory stick here:

http://pdk.64studio.com/projects/64studio/karmic/install_from_usb_stick.txt

As this is an alpha release, expect breakage - this version is not for
production use. Here are some of the known bugs you will encounter:

0. The amd64 version has not been tested yet (for a change). i386
version is now tested and known to work.

1. The installer asks a question about setting up jackd for realtime
use. Answer yes here, of course. You may also see a question about
downloading extra language packages.

2. After install, the gdm session defaults to xterm - select lxde from
the drop-down menu on the lower right instead.

3. Your user account must be added to the audio group in /etc/group
manually, before you log in and start JACK. For example, open an xterm
with a right click on the LXDE desktop, su to root and enter the command:

adduser myusername audio

Otherwise you won't be able to lock memory or get real-time scheduling.

4. A 64 Studio apt repo is set up on the distro, but of course there is
no stable source yet, so apt-get update will result in a 404 error
unless you comment out this source.

5. amSynth is installed but shows up on the Other menu instead of the
Sound & Video menu.

6. amSynth has a menu item under Utils -> Virtual Keyboard which does
not seem compatible with vmpk, the replacement for vkeybd.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 04-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Daniel

> EXT4 file system by default

When Suse made it default a long time ago I avoided to use ext4after
make inquiries. I can't remember the reasons anymore, but there were
some issues not to use ext4. Is ext4 without any disadvantages now and
is it ok for hard disk recording too?

> 0. The amd64 version has not been tested yet (for a change).

I guess I'll try to install it later today. Did you test the installing
process?

Are there packages for proprietary NVIDIA drivers or is the
linux-headers package available?

Cheers!

Ralf

Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Robin Gareus

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi Daniel
>
>> EXT4 file system by default
>>

> When Suse made it default a long time ago I avoided to use ext4after
> make inquiries. I can't remember the reasons anymore, but there were
> some issues not to use ext4. Is ext4 without any disadvantages now

yes, the last ones were fixed in 2.6.30 and after that even back-ported
to older versions by some distributors. see the "Delayed allocation and
potential data loss" section at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4

> and is it ok for hard disk recording too?
yes.

The delayed allocation and multiblock-alloc feature even increase
performance compared to ext3.
However in case the system goes down unexpectedly you *may* loose a
longer time-span of data compared to ext3. (The aforementioned 2.6.30
patch only takes care of leaving the filesystem in a consistent stage.)

Anyway if there's a power-outage during a recording session, all other
audio-equipment will also shut down and *usually* one has to worry about
more than the last 5 seconds on the tape. YMMV

>> 0. The amd64 version has not been tested yet (for a change).
>
> I guess I'll try to install it later today. Did you test the installing
> process?
>
> Are there packages for proprietary NVIDIA drivers

I did not follow recent discussions to on that subject too closely, but
IIRC 64studio won't provide _any_ packages with proprietary software.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Robin Gareus wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel
>>

>>> EXT4 file system by default
>>>

>> When Suse made it default a long time ago I avoided to use ext4after
>> make inquiries. I can't remember the reasons anymore, but there were
>> some issues not to use ext4. Is ext4 without any disadvantages now
>>

> yes, the last ones were fixed in 2.6.30 and after that even back-ported
> to older versions by some distributors. see the "Delayed allocation and
> potential data loss" section at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4
>

>> and is it ok for hard disk recording too?
>>
> yes.
>
> The delayed allocation and multiblock-alloc feature even increase
> performance compared to ext3.
> However in case the system goes down unexpectedly you *may* loose a
> longer time-span of data compared to ext3. (The aforementioned 2.6.30
> patch only takes care of leaving the filesystem in a consistent stage.)
>
> Anyway if there's a power-outage during a recording session, all other
> audio-equipment will also shut down and *usually* one has to worry about
> more than the last 5 seconds on the tape. YMMV

Thank you

Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Old 04-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Daniel James

Hi Ralf, hi Robin,

>> Are there packages for proprietary NVIDIA drivers
>
> I did not follow recent discussions to on that subject too closely, but
> IIRC 64studio won't provide _any_ packages with proprietary software.

Proprietary drivers are just too much trouble. We do ship some non-free
firmware so that people can use the hardware they have, though. If there
was a high quality multichannel audio interface that had DFSG-compliant
firmware, I would love to know about it.

>> or is the
>> linux-headers package available?

Yes, as usual they are in the backports repository:

http://apt.64studio.com/backports/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/

When we get closer to an official release, we will include the headers
in the distro. For FFADO support to work out of the box we may need to
go to 2.6.33 rather than the 2.6.31 we are currently using, let's see.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 04-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Daniel James

Hi Ralf, hi Robin,

Old 04-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Robin Gareus

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Ralf, hi Robin,
>
>>> Are there packages for proprietary NVIDIA drivers
>> I did not follow recent discussions to on that subject too closely, but
>> IIRC 64studio won't provide _any_ packages with proprietary software.
>
> Proprietary drivers are just too much trouble. We do ship some non-free
> firmware so that people can use the hardware they have, though. If there
> was a high quality multichannel audio interface that had DFSG-compliant
> firmware, I would love to know about it.
>
>>> or is the
>>> linux-headers package available?
>
> Yes, as usual they are in the backports repository:
>
> http://apt.64studio.com/backports/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/
>
> When we get closer to an official release, we will include the headers
> in the distro. For FFADO support to work out of the box we may need to
> go to 2.6.33 rather than the 2.6.31 we are currently using, let's see.

I've started to package 2.6.33.2-rt13 - which runs just fine - however
there a are a few loose ends which I won't be able to tie up before
LAC2010.

robin

Old 04-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Robin Gareus wrote:
> Daniel James wrote:
>
>> Hi Ralf, hi Robin,

>>> I did not follow recent discussions to on that subject too closely, but
>>> IIRC 64studio won't provide _any_ packages with proprietary software.
>>>
>> Proprietary drivers are just too much trouble. We do ship some non-free
>> firmware so that people can use the hardware they have, though. If there
>> was a high quality multichannel audio interface that had DFSG-compliant
>> firmware, I would love to know about it.

>> Yes, as usual they are in the backports repository:
>>
>> http://apt.64studio.com/backports/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/
>>
>> When we get closer to an official release, we will include the headers
>> in the distro. For FFADO support to work out of the box we may need to
>> go to 2.6.33 rather than the 2.6.31 we are currently using, let's see.
>>

> I've started to package 2.6.33.2-rt13 - which runs just fine - however
> there a are a few loose ends which I won't be able to tie up before
> LAC2010.
>
> robin

I'm downloading the alpha's ISO right now. Should I upgrade to 2.6.33
after the installation is finished or are there any bad issues?

Ralf