Old 04-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default A request at the hands of the persons responsible for 64 Studio

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Daniel James wrote:
>> Hi Ralf,
>>

>>> Here the installation failed at campcaster-station. FWIW it's not
>>> 3.3 alpha1, but alpha2.
>>>

>> That's actually a test build on the way to alpha2 that you've
>> downloaded, it's not quite ready :-)
>>
>> The inclusion of campcaster (a radio station automation application)
>> was just for testing purposes.
>>

>>> When there was the question regarding to the boot device I didn't
>>> check a box, but continued, because I won't install a new
>>> bootloader. Perhaps it has to do with this? I know
>>> campcaster-station has nothing to do with it, but maybe the step
>>> after campcaster-station?
>>>

>> Yes, that should be towards the end of the install - it's a grub2
>> thing. Gustin is quite right that dual booting this alpha on a
>> production machine is probably not worth the hassle.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Daniel
>
> Hi Daniel
>
> it was just for testing purpose regarding to my new second hand NVIDIA.
>
> A friend, a musician, who won't use the computer for music, but for
> emailing etc. will get a 3.0-beta3 install done by me. I tried it some
> days ago, when we thought his Vista was broken, but it wasn't the
> fault of Vista. I need the whole day to repair his hardware, so I
> still need to install a Linux, 64 Studio, on his machine. He is
> willing to try Linux, not only because of me, but also because people
> from his family are Linux users, who can't belief that he is using
> Windows. He was already thinking of paying for Windows 7, but I gave
> him a verbal slap in the face. I offered him any Linux plus XP
> instead. 64 Studio 3.0-beta3 won the race .
>
> The long and the short of it, I do know that 3.0-beta3 is the only
> valid version, I'll use it, I'll install it for other people. I only
> wish to know if my NVIDIA would work perfectly, like it does for Suse,
> when using the current alpha.
>
> For music, excepted of the old issue MIDI jitter for external devices,
> 64 Studio is ok when using the FLOSS "nv" driver. Just GDM is broken,
> but I don't care about this.
>
> Everything is ok here, when using 3.0-beta3, anyway it would be
> interesting to test the alpha version. To be honest, I already have an
> unused Karmic install and could test it by revivifying this install
> again.
>
> Thank you for the reply. No problem, I'm able to wait until an alpha
> or beta version is more stable.
>
> Cheers!
> Ralf

For the devel list only.

The musician I was talking about is one of the most sophisticated people
I know and one of Germany's most gifted and wanted jazz musicians, but
he is a completely idiot regarding to technical issues. I wish that
software and distro developers would know people like him, to understand
what musicians do need and to understand what technical bullshit,
regarding to musicians, does mean.

Every idiot is able to use recording hardware, but even (some)
sophisticated people are unable to use audio apps for any OS.

I hope that some day there would be some audio computer solutions that
could be used by the averaged musician.

Take care of this when doing 64 Studio OEM stuff. Not everybody is an
engineer.

2 Cents,
Ralf