Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Gustin Johnson

Default Proprietary NVIDIA installer is asking for kernel source path

On 10-04-04 04:07 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi
>
> the proprietary NVIDIA installer can't build the driver for a self build
> kernel-rt, because it doesn't know the kernel source path, btw. it seems

Did you use the kernel from kernel.org or one that was packaged?

> to be that the needed kernel source is provided by the package
> linux-headers and not by the package kernel-source.

Both will actually work. The kernel source package leaves a compressed
file /usr/src that you will need to untar. Then the easiest thing to do
is to sym link /usr/src/linux to
/usrc/src/linux-<version-that-you-dempressed>/

> For the self-build kernel-rt on Suse there isn't such an issue, the
> installer was able to build the proprietary driver. I can't say if the
> driver is completely ok, at least a session started. I zero in on
> getting it working for 64 Studio, so at the moment I won't make tests
> running Suse.
> During the feasts I don't have much time for the computer, e.g. to
> extensively search the web.
>
> Any ideas?

You may wish to review the Debian documentation on the topic.
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/

A more concise document might be this one:
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu

Hth,

Old 04-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Thanks Gustin

at Eastern and the last day after Eastern I had no time to focus the
trouble.

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> On 10-04-04 04:07 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> the proprietary NVIDIA installer can't build the driver for a self build
>> kernel-rt, because it doesn't know the kernel source path, btw. it seems
>>

> Did you use the kernel from kernel.org or one that was packaged?

Yep! Kernel and RT patch are from kernel.org.

>> to be that the needed kernel source is provided by the package
>> linux-headers and not by the package kernel-source.
>>

> Both will actually work. The kernel source package leaves a compressed
> file /usr/src that you will need to untar. Then the easiest thing to do
> is to sym link /usr/src/linux to
> /usrc/src/linux-<version-that-you-dempressed>/

No, linux-source (a typo, I called it "kernel source") doesn't include
version.h and .config and perhaps some other headers or configurations
too, while linux-headers do include version.h, .config and perhaps
something additional too.

>> For the self-build kernel-rt on Suse there isn't such an issue, the
>> installer was able to build the proprietary driver. I can't say if the
>> driver is completely ok, at least a session started. I zero in on
>> getting it working for 64 Studio, so at the moment I won't make tests
>> running Suse.
>> During the feasts I don't have much time for the computer, e.g. to
>> extensively search the web.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> You may wish to review the Debian documentation on the topic.
> http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/
>
> A more concise document might be this one:
> http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu

I didn't verified it jet, but I guess I did build my kernels exactly
that way.

There's a note by the NVIDIA coders ...

*"Please note:* unfortunately, it has become difficult to keep track of
the pre-/post-installation steps required for [K]Ubuntu, and the above
instructions may be incomplete. If in doubt, it is recommended that you
use your distributor's NVIDIA Linux graphics driver packages,
exclusively." (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490)

Even if I should use the onboard ATI again, I decided not to give back
the NVIDIA card, because I'm curious about this problem.

Btw. ASAP I'll try a packaged kernel + restricted-modules + nvidia-glx
or what ever is pre-build to use NVIDIA's proprietary driver.

Cheers!
Ralf