-   -   Proprietary NVIDIA installer is asking for kernel source path (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/351418-proprietary-nvidia-installer-asking-kernel-source-path.html)

Ralf Mardorf 04-04-2010 10:07 AM

Proprietary NVIDIA installer is asking for kernel source path

Hi :)

the proprietary NVIDIA installer can't build the driver for a self build
kernel-rt, because it doesn't know the kernel source path, btw. it seems
to be that the needed kernel source is provided by the package
linux-headers and not by the package kernel-source.
For the self-build kernel-rt on Suse there isn't such an issue, the
installer was able to build the proprietary driver. I can't say if the
driver is completely ok, at least a session started. I zero in on
getting it working for 64 Studio, so at the moment I won't make tests
running Suse.
During the feasts I don't have much time for the computer, e.g. to
extensively search the web.

Any ideas?

64 Studio 3.0-beta3 64-bit

$ sudo -i
# cd /lib/modules/$(uname -r)
# ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r) build
# ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r) source
# /etc/init.d/gdm stop
$ sudo -i
# cd /usr/src
# export SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)
# echo $SYSSRC
# sh ./NVIDIA-Linux* -q --kernel-source=/usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname
-r)
# sh ./NVIDIA-Linux* -q

Both times the NVIDIA installer was missing something.

Suse 11.2/11.3 64-bit

> su
# init3
# cd /usr/src
# sh ./NVIDIA-Linux* -q

For Suse there was no problem for the proprietary installer.

Happy Easter!
Ralf