Old 03-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default NVIDIA GFORCE 7200

GAINWARD BLISS 7200 GS GFORCE PCI Express, passive, looks like a 256 MB
one, original price around 35,- €, I could get it second hand for 15,- €.

The people from the list seems to know the 6200, 7600GS, 7300, 6200TC,
8500GT,
http://www.google.de/#hl=de&source=hp&q=[64studio-users]+GFORCE+7200+GS+&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= &fp=ee5ee57acdb47974

Referred to http://www.64studio.com/node/1119#comment-5374 someone had
bad luck using a 7200, resp. I still need to read the whole thread,
perhaps at the end everything went well.

Because of MIDI jitter issues, there shouldn't be a difference for
integrated graphics using main memory for the frame buffer and a PCI
Express with it's own memory was said on LAD. IIUC what Fons has written
after I used his jitter test applications, the jitter on my machine is
normal for Linux and it should be impossible that the jitter is audible.
Unfortunately it's horrible audible.

So because of audio I need to find a replacement for Linux IIUC what
Fons has written, the 7200 still is interesting for Linux video cut,
animation etc., because I never get 3D support for my integrated ATI
Radeon X1250-based graphics.

Has anybody experiences with a 7200 and is the price ok?

Cheers!
Ralf

Old 03-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Gustin Johnson

On 10-03-30 07:00 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> GAINWARD BLISS 7200 GS GFORCE PCI Express, passive, looks like a 256 MB
> one, original price around 35,- €, I could get it second hand for 15,- €.
>
> The people from the list seems to know the 6200, 7600GS, 7300, 6200TC,
> 8500GT,
> http://www.google.de/#hl=de&source=hp&q=[64studio-users]+GFORCE+7200+GS+&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= &fp=ee5ee57acdb47974
>
> Referred to http://www.64studio.com/node/1119#comment-5374 someone had
> bad luck using a 7200, resp. I still need to read the whole thread,
> perhaps at the end everything went well.
>
> Because of MIDI jitter issues, there shouldn't be a difference for
> integrated graphics using main memory for the frame buffer and a PCI
> Express with it's own memory was said on LAD. IIUC what Fons has written
> after I used his jitter test applications, the jitter on my machine is
> normal for Linux and it should be impossible that the jitter is audible.
> Unfortunately it's horrible audible.
>
> So because of audio I need to find a replacement for Linux IIUC what
> Fons has written, the 7200 still is interesting for Linux video cut,
> animation etc., because I never get 3D support for my integrated ATI
> Radeon X1250-based graphics.
>
> Has anybody experiences with a 7200 and is the price ok?

You mean apart from the usual nVidia binary driver problems? I have a
similar card but I chose to stick with the integrated ATI instead with
3d support due to RT kernel and nVidia drivers not playing nice together.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> On 10-03-30 07:00 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> GAINWARD BLISS 7200 GS GFORCE PCI Express, passive, looks like a 256 MB
>> one, original price around 35,- €, I could get it second hand for 15,- €.
>>
>> The people from the list seems to know the 6200, 7600GS, 7300, 6200TC,
>> 8500GT,
>> http://www.google.de/#hl=de&source=hp&q=[64studio-users]+GFORCE+7200+GS+&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= &fp=ee5ee57acdb47974
>>
>> Referred to http://www.64studio.com/node/1119#comment-5374 someone had
>> bad luck using a 7200, resp. I still need to read the whole thread,
>> perhaps at the end everything went well.
>>
>> Because of MIDI jitter issues, there shouldn't be a difference for
>> integrated graphics using main memory for the frame buffer and a PCI
>> Express with it's own memory was said on LAD. IIUC what Fons has written
>> after I used his jitter test applications, the jitter on my machine is
>> normal for Linux and it should be impossible that the jitter is audible.
>> Unfortunately it's horrible audible.
>>
>> So because of audio I need to find a replacement for Linux IIUC what
>> Fons has written, the 7200 still is interesting for Linux video cut,
>> animation etc., because I never get 3D support for my integrated ATI
>> Radeon X1250-based graphics.
>>
>> Has anybody experiences with a 7200 and is the price ok?
>>

> You mean apart from the usual nVidia binary driver problems?

Yes. For my old board I had a NVIDIA AGP and I didn't like it, because
sometimes it wasn't easy to add the proprietary 3D driver.
OTOH I always was able to get the proprietary driver running and the
card also was good without using the 3D driver, excepted of speed limits
for 3D applications.

> I have a similar card but I chose to stick with the integrated ATI instead with
> 3d support due to RT kernel and nVidia drivers not playing nice together.

What exactly is a similar card?

Searching the web,
http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&q=linux+gforce+7200+gs&btnG=Search
[1], the GFORCE 7200 GS wasn't supported in 2007,
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/evga-e-geforce-7200-gs-wont-work-nvidia-drivers-567849/
OTOH it's listed for the "NVIDIA GeForce Driver for Linux 190.42",
http://www.brothersoft.com/nvidia-geforce-driver-for-linux-269081.html.

While it always worked for my old AGP NVIDIA with the proprietary
driver, it doesn't work now for my integrated ATI Radeon X1250-based,
even though it's listed for the proprietary Linux driver too. I had the
same with a Fax modem that was listed by the community as working with
Linux, but even though this modem has the needed chip set, there was one
revision that doesn't work with Linux and this wasn't mentioned, while
it was known by those community hardware guys. I had the same with a PCI
to ATA converter etc., but because of wrong information by the vendor,
that's why I don't believe community hardware lists and claims of
vendors. I only believe in other users reports of experiences.

Because of the RT issue I wish to know if a PCI express graphics would
cause less MIDI jitter as an integrated graphics, because of the access
to the shared RAM. For knowing this I need the long overdue graphics and
I would test it with 2D too. On LAD they said that this won't make any
difference, but they also said, that the MIDI jitter I've got now
shouldn't be audible. If it's true that there would be no improvement
and the MIDI jitter I've got is normal for Linux and the developers
aren't able to hear it, so that they also won't do anything against it,
than I don't need RT support for Linux audio any more. If so I only
would use Linux for video cut, authoring, internet access, graphic and
animation applications etc., but not for music any more.

Btw. Ctrl + F "7200" for http://www.64studio.com/node/69,
http://www.64studio.com/node/1454 and http://www.64studio.com/node/1085
was without success.

Because the one who sells the card is a friend of an old acquaintance I
could ask him, if I could test the card. Doing this would be strange for
most Germans, that's why I prefer not to ask.

Best,
Ralf

--
[1] Generally I try to avoid using Google when ever it's possible,
especially since Google is allowed to do their showmanship in the news

Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Ralf Mardorf

It's said that the current proprietary drivers
http://www.nvidia.de/object/linux_display_amd64_195.36.15_de.html and
http://www.nvidia.de/object/linux_display_ia32_195.36.15_de.html do
support the GeForce 7200 GS and that the xorg driver generally supports
GeForce graphics.

Are there any general issues with NVIDIA GeForce I might have forgotten.
Now I'm curios because of

Old 03-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Ralf Mardorf

spinymouse-sudo@64studio:/etc/X11$ sudo cp -p xorg.conf xorg.conf_radeon
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:/etc/X11$ sudo gedit xorg.conf

changed Driver "radeon"
to Driver "vesa"

Ctrl + Alt + Backspace

Oops, but after a login as user and a startx I now do have a mammoth
screen resolution and a stroboscope monitor , so I'm ready to test the
NVIDIA GFORCE 7200 GS I'm now going to buy.

The seller sceptical agreed to take it back, if the drivers shouldn't work.

If I shouldn't report what happened until some hours ago, then ...

Cu,
Ralf

Old 03-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Gustin Johnson

On 10-03-31 03:20 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Gustin Johnson wrote:
>> On 10-03-30 07:00 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>>> GAINWARD BLISS 7200 GS GFORCE PCI Express, passive, looks like a 256 MB
>>> one, original price around 35,- €, I could get it second hand for 15,- €.
>>>
>>> The people from the list seems to know the 6200, 7600GS, 7300, 6200TC,
>>> 8500GT,
>>> http://www.google.de/#hl=de&source=hp&q=[64studio-users]+GFORCE+7200+GS+&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= &fp=ee5ee57acdb47974
>>>
>>> Referred to http://www.64studio.com/node/1119#comment-5374 someone had
>>> bad luck using a 7200, resp. I still need to read the whole thread,
>>> perhaps at the end everything went well.
>>>
>>> Because of MIDI jitter issues, there shouldn't be a difference for
>>> integrated graphics using main memory for the frame buffer and a PCI
>>> Express with it's own memory was said on LAD. IIUC what Fons has written
>>> after I used his jitter test applications, the jitter on my machine is
>>> normal for Linux and it should be impossible that the jitter is audible.
>>> Unfortunately it's horrible audible.
>>>
>>> So because of audio I need to find a replacement for Linux IIUC what
>>> Fons has written, the 7200 still is interesting for Linux video cut,
>>> animation etc., because I never get 3D support for my integrated ATI
>>> Radeon X1250-based graphics.
>>>
>>> Has anybody experiences with a 7200 and is the price ok?
>>>

>> You mean apart from the usual nVidia binary driver problems?
>
> Yes. For my old board I had a NVIDIA AGP and I didn't like it, because
> sometimes it wasn't easy to add the proprietary 3D driver.
> OTOH I always was able to get the proprietary driver running and the
> card also was good without using the 3D driver, excepted of speed limits
> for 3D applications.
>
>> I have a similar card but I chose to stick with the integrated ATI instead with
>> 3d support due to RT kernel and nVidia drivers not playing nice together.
>
> What exactly is a similar card?x

A GForce 7x00 PCIe with passive cooling. I have it kicking around
somewhere in my bin of parts, so I am not sure exactly which model it is.

> Searching the web,
> http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&q=linux+gforce+7200+gs&btnG=Search
> [1], the GFORCE 7200 GS wasn't supported in 2007,
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/evga-e-geforce-7200-gs-wont-work-nvidia-drivers-567849/
> OTOH it's listed for the "NVIDIA GeForce Driver for Linux 190.42",
> http://www.brothersoft.com/nvidia-geforce-driver-for-linux-269081.html.

Ans what does the nVidia web site have for drivers for this card? I
would try the latest version directly from nVidia.

> While it always worked for my old AGP NVIDIA with the proprietary
> driver, it doesn't work now for my integrated ATI Radeon X1250-based,
> even though it's listed for the proprietary Linux driver too. I had the
> same with a Fax modem that was listed by the community as working with
> Linux, but even though this modem has the needed chip set, there was one
> revision that doesn't work with Linux and this wasn't mentioned, while
> it was known by those community hardware guys. I had the same with a PCI
> to ATA converter etc., but because of wrong information by the vendor,
> that's why I don't believe community hardware lists and claims of
> vendors. I only believe in other users reports of experiences.
>
> Because of the RT issue I wish to know if a PCI express graphics would
> cause less MIDI jitter as an integrated graphics, because of the access
> to the shared RAM. For knowing this I need the long overdue graphics and
> I would test it with 2D too. On LAD they said that this won't make any
> difference, but they also said, that the MIDI jitter I've got now
> shouldn't be audible. If it's true that there would be no improvement

No idea.

> and the MIDI jitter I've got is normal for Linux and the developers
> aren't able to hear it, so that they also won't do anything against it,
> than I don't need RT support for Linux audio any more. If so I only
> would use Linux for video cut, authoring, internet access, graphic and
> animation applications etc., but not for music any more.

I never was able to reproduce your jitter experiences.

> Btw. Ctrl + F "7200" for http://www.64studio.com/node/69,
> http://www.64studio.com/node/1454 and http://www.64studio.com/node/1085
> was without success.
>
> Because the one who sells the card is a friend of an old acquaintance I
> could ask him, if I could test the card. Doing this would be strange for
> most Germans, that's why I prefer not to ask.

Again, check the nVidia site for drivers. Of course I would avoid
nVidia if I had the choice. I have heard good things about the RadeonHD
series of devices, and I have personally been well served by Intel GPUs.
Other than that best of luck.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> [...]
>> than I don't need RT support for Linux audio any more. If so I only
>> would use Linux for video cut, authoring, internet access, graphic and
>> animation applications etc., but not for music any more.
>>

> I never was able to reproduce your jitter experiences.
>
>> Btw. Ctrl + F "7200" for http://www.64studio.com/node/69,
>> http://www.64studio.com/node/1454 and http://www.64studio.com/node/1085
>> was without success.
>>
>> Because the one who sells the card is a friend of an old acquaintance I
>> could ask him, if I could test the card. Doing this would be strange for
>> most Germans, that's why I prefer not to ask.
>>

> Again, check the nVidia site for drivers. Of course I would avoid
> nVidia if I had the choice. I have heard good things about the RadeonHD
> series of devices, and I have personally been well served by Intel GPUs.

First I'll try the xorg "nv" driver and then the one directly from the
NVIDIA homepage.
Actually there's an issue, hwinfo is detecting the wrong card, while it
isn't the wrong card and perhaps the xorg.conf that was ok for my Radeon
and Lifetec monitor completely needs to be changed. Even if I get access
to GDM, there first are messages because of KDE4 session manager. KDE4
isn't installed. Btw. some ours ago I got the links to the current
proprietary Linux drivers, 64-bit and 32-bit.