Old 03-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Frank Smith

Default Ardour selection problem

HI All
It seems I cannot use the select move/ranges to remove a small error in a guitar piece
Was fine the other day.
I assume I have set some global thing and it seems to want to snap to the guides only.
As you guitarists will know the Telecaster is a buetiful osund but very noisy, so I usally remove

any noise before the guitar solo.

This time I cannot, any ideas please.

Cheers
Bob

Old 03-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Frank Smith wrote:
> HI All
> It seems I cannot use the select move/ranges to remove a small error
> in a guitar piece
> Was fine the other day.
> I assume I have set some global thing and it seems to want to snap to
> the guides only.
> As you guitarists will know the Telecaster is a buetiful osund but
> very noisy, so I usally remove
> any noise before the guitar solo.
>
> This time I cannot, any ideas please.
>
> Cheers
> Bob

Your "regular" telecaster has single coils? If so, I'm using single
coils on my Ibanez Stratocaster like guitar too ... you need to avoid
any electric smog. Use your body to shield electro smog by your monitor
and any power supplies. You also could toggle 2 single coil pick ups
phase-shifted, but this would cancel the quality of the bass sound.

Is ground connected to the strings? For my guitar ground is connected to
the strings, this enables that the your buddy is able to shield.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Old 03-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Ralf Mardorf

I wrote:
> Frank Smith wrote:
>> HI All
>> It seems I cannot use the select move/ranges to remove a small error
>> in a guitar piece
>> Was fine the other day.
>> I assume I have set some global thing and it seems to want to snap to
>> the guides only.
>> As you guitarists will know the Telecaster is a buetiful osund but
>> very noisy, so I usally remove
>> any noise before the guitar solo.
>>
>> This time I cannot, any ideas please.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Bob
>
> Your "regular" telecaster has single coils? If so, I'm using single
> coils on my Ibanez Stratocaster like guitar too ... you need to avoid
> any electric smog. Use your body to shield electro smog by your
> monitor and any power supplies. You also could toggle 2 single coil
> pick ups phase-shifted, but this would cancel the quality of the bass
> sound.
>
> Is ground connected to the strings? For my guitar ground is connected
> to the strings, this enables that the your buddy is able to shield.

PS: There are some issues, while the strings are connected to ground
(usually single coil guitars do connect the strings to ground), the most
important issue is, that you never ever should touch the strings of your
guitar and at the same time any equipment having a opposite polarity!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Old 03-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Tapani Sysimetsä

On 28/03/10 16:03, Frank Smith wrote:
> HI All
> It seems I cannot use the select move/ranges to remove a small error
> in a guitar piece
> Was fine the other day.
> I assume I have set some global thing and it seems to want to snap to
> the guides only.

Select "No Grid" from the menu under the primary clock?

Tapani

Old 03-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Tapani Sysimetsä wrote:
> On 28/03/10 16:03, Frank Smith wrote:
>
>> HI All
>> It seems I cannot use the select move/ranges to remove a small error
>> in a guitar piece
>> Was fine the other day.
>> I assume I have set some global thing and it seems to want to snap to
>> the guides only.
>>

> Select "No Grid" from the menu under the primary clock?
>
> Tapani

Pardon, I just replied because of how to avoid noise for single coil
guitars. Because of the topic this is my opinion: I wouldn't delete
noise at passages were the guitar isn't played, if I have this problem I
just fade out the noise a little bit. Noise could be too loud, but
removing noise in passages were the guitar isn't played completely IMO
isn't good. I do make noise in passages were the guitar isn't played
less loud, but I don't cancel it completely, to avoid that there is a
audible blending. Keep in mind that the noise also is audible when the
guitar is played. Noise isn't bad at all cost. IMO it's better to keep
some decreased noise also in passages were the guitar isn't played.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Tapani Sysimetsä

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Tapani Sysimetsä wrote:
>
>> On 28/03/10 16:03, Frank Smith wrote:
>>

>>> HI All
>>> It seems I cannot use the select move/ranges to remove a small error
>>> in a guitar piece
>>> Was fine the other day.
>>> I assume I have set some global thing and it seems to want to snap to
>>> the guides only.
>>>

>> Select "No Grid" from the menu under the primary clock?
>>
>> Tapani
>>

> Pardon, I just replied because of how to avoid noise for single coil
> guitars. Because of the topic this is my opinion: I wouldn't delete
> noise at passages were the guitar isn't played, if I have this problem I
> just fade out the noise a little bit. Noise could be too loud, but
> removing noise in passages were the guitar isn't played completely IMO
> isn't good. I do make noise in passages were the guitar isn't played
> less loud, but I don't cancel it completely, to avoid that there is a
> audible blending. Keep in mind that the noise also is audible when the
> guitar is played. Noise isn't bad at all cost. IMO it's better to keep
> some decreased noise also in passages were the guitar isn't played.

Hi Ralf, you may well be right regarding the noise. Depends on the case
and what one wants. I just offered my 2 cents for the snapping problem,
no offense.

Greetings,

Tapani

Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Frank Smith

Hi AllThanks for the helpI*eventually* found the setting in*ViewSnap to gridthis seems to have been set.All done now!!
As regards noise I always leave whatever noise is in the file when the solo starts but always remove noise*before*the start
As I have to sit quite close to the two DDX desks there is always a bit of noise.
Once*the guitar is*under*way its left alone with no EQ just volume.This I find allows the natural sound of the Tele to shine through.

Again many thanks for your help
CheersBobBlueslsd