Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Folderol

Default Latest Distro

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 22:08:33 +0000
Folderol <folderol@ukfsn.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:03:02 +0000
> Daniel James <daniel@64studio.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > That's correct for the download distro, although we have made plenty of
> > releases on behalf of our customers since then, and there have been lots
> > of new packages in our backports repositories. I'm hoping we'll be able
> > to announce a new download soon, on the road to our 4.0 release series
> > later this year (after the release of Ubuntu Lucid LTS).
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Daniel
>
> Any idea of a timeline?
>
> The situation is getting pretty desperate. I have now had to add the
> debian squeeze repository to get sufficiently up-to-date libraries for
> compiling things like Rosegarden - thorn and Yoshimi (an absolutely
> brilliant semi-fork of ZynAddSubFX).
>
> I feel I'm walking on eggshells at the moment, and that the whole
> tottering edifice will come crashing down on me at any moment. I don't
> dare do any general, or even security updates on this machine

This has now become critical for me

Made the mistake of trying to update part of the Xserver in the hope
it would clear some graphics twitches and the whole lot collapsed. I now
seem to be unable to re-create exactly what I did before, and
performance is much poorer and less stable, almost down to the level of
ubuntu studio (which I never got to work reliably).

Have you started a build on the LTS yet? If so I'm desperate enough to
try it as it is, and report back!!!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Old 03-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Daniel James

Hi Will,

> Have you started a build on the LTS yet? If so I'm desperate enough to
> try it as it is, and report back!!!

There will be a new alpha available in the next couple of weeks,
although it is likely to be Karmic based, because Lucid LTS is still in
flux.

Hopefully Lucid will stabilise more quickly than earlier Ubuntu
releases, as I understand it is based on Debian testing rather than
Debian unstable. That would allow us to start a 4.x release cycle with
alphas in May rather than in June.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 03-12-2010, 07:59 PM