Old 02-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Ryan

Default system mysteriously freezes at random

I don't know what to do about this... I dual boot Debian Lenny and Debian seems to be running without a hitch.

When 64studio freezes i can't Alt+Ctrl+Del or Alt+Ctrl+Backspace, nor does any combination of Alt+SysRq do anything.

It happens seemingly at random. Sometimes it happens right after logging into gnome. Sometimes it's fine for a while, but it's quite frequent.

IIRC it started happening after I installed wineasio and a few various
DLL's last week...What is the likelyhood of contracting a windows virus in wine?
But that would not explain why it crashes after gdm login...

Need to get back to making music...anyone?

Old 03-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Daniel James

Hi Ryan,

> It happens seemingly at random. Sometimes it happens right after logging
> into gnome. Sometimes it's fine for a while, but it's quite frequent.

Are there any clues in /var/log/syslog at the time of the freeze? Also
you should check your hardware health - temperatures, fan speeds, any
warnings from the BIOS.

> What is the likelyhood of contracting a windows virus
> in wine?

I suppose that's possible, but it seems unlikely.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Enrico Rizzo

It happened only once to me, I just started Ardour and configured the audio card, then the system lock definitely...

Few days ago I changed the order in which alsa modules are loaded to get my terratec phase 22 card as first one.

Hope this helps

Anyway I'm not concerned as far as this doesn't happen too often...

The overall impression of the system is very good.

Cheers

Old 03-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Ryan

Are there any clues in /var/log/syslog at the time of the freeze?
Yes, a bunch of stuff...*

*http://pastebin.com/7Y08kWVg - syslog of crash on feb 28

*http://pastebin.com/z8DSq7Ua - syslog of crash on feb 22
*
Also
you should check your hardware health - temperatures, fan speeds, any

warnings from the BIOS.

Well, Debian runs fine and i just installed Fedora 12 on a separate partition
which is also running nicely.

Thanks for the help Daniel.

I *almost* trashed 64Studio for Fedora12+ CCRMA. Luckily, I had a spare partition so I was able to keep 64Studio. Well, Fedora12+CCRMA is great so far but it's not the same. 64Studio was home to me, I come from Debian background.

With Fedora I have a few complaints. I can't listen to music or audio in firefox while jack is running. Pulseaudio comes installed and theres only two parameters in gnome-volume-manager so I can't get my mic levels right to work with jack and ladspa effects. The main capture is played on top of the effected vocals. The capture is being played back in the speaker. However, you say it...I think you get the point.

It figures that as soon as I get internet and get wineasio working my system breaks. :P

I'm in 64Studio now, better hit send. Quick!

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 03-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Daniel James

Hi Ryan,

> Are there any clues in /var/log/syslog at the time of the freeze?
>

> Yes, a bunch of stuff...
>
> http://pastebin.com/7Y08kWVg - syslog of crash on feb 28
> http://pastebin.com/z8DSq7Ua - syslog of crash on feb 22

I see the message Tainted: P which indicates a proprietary driver. I'd
look for the cause of the freeze-up there first.

> With Fedora I have a few complaints. I can't listen to music or audio in
> firefox while jack is running. Pulseaudio comes installed and theres
> only two parameters in gnome-volume-manager so I can't get my mic levels
> right to work with jack and ladspa effects.

I'd recommend that you remove pulseaudio and install the pre-pulseaudio
version of the Gnome mixer applet. In Ubuntu this is called...

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/gnome-alsamixer

Cheers!

Daniel