Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Gustin Johnson

Default Questions about getting smallest archives and overburning

Old 02-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> when trying to backup a "large" Linux near to the limit that can be
>> burned to a DVD-R or DVD+R the internet leaves many questions unanswered.
>>
>> It's essential to keep permissions for owner and group and the dates. I
>> guess only tar complies to this requirement, but I didn't do research
>> about this issue.
>> I noticed that a .tar.bz2 isn't much smaller than a .tar.gz, but it
>> could be a help when near to the limit of a DVD. First creating a
>> .tar.bz2 and then compressing the .tar.bz2 by 7z, resp. lzma2 will save
>> some bytes.
>>

> I would skip the bz2 part. Compressing directly with 7zip will be more
> efficient.

I missed testing if 7z will preserve, resp. store permissions. Does it
also store permissions?

Argh, I'm an idiot, now I do understand, instead of using "tar czf" or
"tar cjf" I simply can create an archive by "tar cf" and then use 7z to
compress this archive.

Thank you, I didn't see the forest for the trees.

Btw. I did some tests. As expected making a tar.bz2 from an existing
tar.bz2 will increase the archive and not compress it.
When I asked because of 4GB I was mistaken, I was thinking of 2GB ...
will it be better to keep files under the need to use UDF, because of
the bytes that can be used for data on a DVD?

I noticed that it's possible to overburn DVDs by using K3b too, but I'm
not sure if it's able to gauge realistic values. I didn't use
simulation, but I once overburned a DVD successfully.

Ralf