-   -   Damn! I think i killed my grub installation (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/330359-damn-i-think-i-killed-my-grub-installation.html)

guerrier 02-22-2010 08:14 PM

Damn! I think i killed my grub installation

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Mathias Krause <mathias.sam@web.de> wrote:

Hi list,

damn! I think I killed my GRUB and MBR with installing a windows version

(I know, i shouldn't do that, but i had to try some thing with windows).

Unfortunately even that windows install did not succeed... now, i am up

without a bootloader. I think, windows changed the MBR, so only windows

has been tried to start. So i inserted a knoppix and did a grub-install.

Now, grub is back... and it has got the old entries in it ... fine ... but

it won't start. The error is:

- Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

- The boot entry (kernel /boot/vmlinuz... root=UID=...

- Error 15: File not found

Any ideas to fix that? Maybe the grub-install command from Knoppix has

been too old? (Knoppix detected my hd as hda instead of sda (when boooting

64studio). I also tried the 64studio installer to get me to the shell. But

that doesn't work as the 64studio didn't include the grub installer

commands.

Any hints Or am I lost? (If yes, i think i should try to get the okay for

a investment into a mac... as that might be a linux, just more

userfriendly, and therefore much too expensive)

regards,

Mathias

Hello,

This bit of help
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=117829&postcount=2) has
worked for me in the past.

And grub error 15 is kind of a mild problem
(http://stringofthoughts.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/grub-error-15-debianubuntu/).
I think the partition number has changed.

guerrier

Gustin Johnson 02-22-2010 09:59 PM

Mathias Krause wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> damn! I think I killed my GRUB and MBR with installing a windows version
> (I know, i shouldn't do that, but i had to try some thing with windows).
> Unfortunately even that windows install did not succeed... now, i am up
> without a bootloader. I think, windows changed the MBR, so only windows

Yes Windows uses its own bootloader, and it does not ask you about it.

> has been tried to start. So i inserted a knoppix and did a grub-install.

OK, right idea, but not quite there. Did Knoppix automatically mount
your Linux partitions? If so, use grub-install with the
- --root-directory=DIR option, where DIR is the path to the mounted
partition.

> Now, grub is back... and it has got the old entries in it ... fine ... but
> it won't start. The error is:
>
> - Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
> - The boot entry (kernel /boot/vmlinuz... root=UID=...
> - Error 15: File not found

It is not pulling the info from your menu.lst file. See above.

> Any ideas to fix that? Maybe the grub-install command from Knoppix has
> been too old? (Knoppix detected my hd as hda instead of sda (when boooting
> 64studio). I also tried the 64studio installer to get me to the shell. But
> that doesn't work as the 64studio didn't include the grub installer
> commands.

Should not matter.

> Any hints Or am I lost? (If yes, i think i should try to get the okay for

You are not lost. This is a common problem. The links to the Ubuntu
forums by guerrier are a good start.

> a investment into a mac... as that might be a linux, just more
> userfriendly, and therefore much too expensive)

I have very strong, negative feelings towards Apple. The short short
version is that I trust them the least of all of the vendors. I would
buy a PC with Windows before buying a Mac. Having said that I have
friends who use Macs and PCs for media production, so ultimately the
choice should be one that is appropriate for you. It is nice to have
this choice.

I do hope you stick with Linux as the basis for your DAW. Best of luck!

"Mathias Krause" 02-23-2010 10:20 AM

Damn! I think i killed my grub installation

Hi Ralf,

>> damn! I think I killed my GRUB and MBR with installing a windows version
>> (I know, i shouldn't do that, but i had to try some thing with windows).
>> Unfortunately even that windows install did not succeed... now, i am up
>> without a bootloader. I think, windows changed the MBR, so only windows
>> has been tried to start. So i inserted a knoppix and did a grub-install.
>>
>> Now, grub is back... and it has got the old entries in it ... fine ...
>> but
>> it won't start. The error is:
>>
>> - Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>> - The boot entry (kernel /boot/vmlinuz... root=UID=...
>> - Error 15: File not found
>>
>> Any ideas to fix that? Maybe the grub-install command from Knoppix has
>> been too old? (Knoppix detected my hd as hda instead of sda (when
>> boooting
>> 64studio). I also tried the 64studio installer to get me to the shell.
>> But
>> that doesn't work as the 64studio didn't include the grub installer
>> commands.
>>
>> Any hints Or am I lost? (If yes, i think i should try to get the okay
>> for
>> a investment into a mac... as that might be a linux, just more
>> userfriendly, and therefore much too expensive)
>>

> Grub doesn't care about the hda-sda-module-issue, it just cares about
> the sequence, e.g. one Linux call it hda and sda, but for another Linux
> the same disks are sda and sdb, that's the way you could correct it, but
> it's just important that "root (hdx,y)" is set to the correct number of
> the disk sequence, 0 for the first disk, 1 for the second one etc..
> Because you're using "root=UUID", it should be the same like it's for
> "root=/dev/disk/by-label/", you only need to take care because of "root
> (hdx,y)".

Okay .... i will check that.
What i don't understand at the moment. Where does grub get the list of
kernels and partitions from? Is it stored in MBR and installed with
update-grub or is it read from /boot/...? So, if i change the menu enries,
i think i have to do a update-grub afterwards?

> There still could be some other issues, but I guess you could fix your
> problem by correcting "root (hdx,y)".
>
> You should have copied the MBR by the dd command, but don't panic, even
> if Windows should have partitioned something there are tools to restore
> the old partition table.

no panic yet. When i run knoppix i can mount both partitions (/ and /home)
so i could a least do a backup ... for a fresh install...

Regards,
Mathias

"Mathias Krause" 02-23-2010 10:22 AM

Damn! I think i killed my grub installation

Hi Ralf,

> Pardon a last PS.
>
> I guess you know how to mount 64 Studio by Knoppix, if it shouldn't
> mount it automatically?

yeah ... no problem so long ...

>> (If yes, i think i should try to get the okay for
>> a investment into a mac... as that might be a linux, just more
>> userfriendly, and therefore much too expensive)
>>

> It's UNIX/ POSIX too, but not LINUX and the different MacOS versions
> ship with different issues. IMO Apple is less user friendly than
> Microsoft is, just the reputation is better, because of ancient times.

okay .. no linux ... sorry for that mistake. I knew that you would say
that. And i knew that a lot of list users will follow up my comment. I
also don't like the Apple way of life ... but i like Logic Pro ... and
that's it ...

regards,
Mathias

"Mathias Krause" 02-23-2010 10:31 AM

Damn! I think i killed my grub installation

HI,

>> damn! I think I killed my GRUB and MBR with installing a windows version
>> (I know, i shouldn't do that, but i had to try some thing with windows).
>> Unfortunately even that windows install did not succeed... now, i am up
>> without a bootloader. I think, windows changed the MBR, so only windows
>
> Yes Windows uses its own bootloader, and it does not ask you about it.

Is there a way to tell Windows, not to do that?

>> has been tried to start. So i inserted a knoppix and did a grub-install.
>
> OK, right idea, but not quite there. Did Knoppix automatically mount
> your Linux partitions? If so, use grub-install with the
> - --root-directory=DIR option, where DIR is the path to the mounted
> partition.

oh .. i forgot to mention. Of course, i did mount the 64studio partitions,
and i used --root-directory option. After that, grub came up again, with
the right entries, but with this error message...

>> Now, grub is back... and it has got the old entries in it ... fine ...
>> but
>> it won't start. The error is:
>>
>> - Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>> - The boot entry (kernel /boot/vmlinuz... root=UID=...
>> - Error 15: File not found
>>
> It is not pulling the info from your menu.lst file. See above.

But from where?

>> Any ideas to fix that? Maybe the grub-install command from Knoppix has
>> been too old? (Knoppix detected my hd as hda instead of sda (when
>> boooting
>> 64studio). I also tried the 64studio installer to get me to the shell.
>> But
>> that doesn't work as the 64studio didn't include the grub installer
>> commands.
>
> Should not matter.

so i CAN use knoppix for upadting grub?

>> Any hints Or am I lost? (If yes, i think i should try to get the okay
>> for
>
> You are not lost. This is a common problem. The links to the Ubuntu
> forums by guerrier are a good start.

Yeah ... i will try that out later on ...

Thank you all for your help !!!

>> a investment into a mac... as that might be a linux, just more
>> userfriendly, and therefore much too expensive)
>>
> I have very strong, negative feelings towards Apple. The short short
> version is that I trust them the least of all of the vendors. I would
> buy a PC with Windows before buying a Mac. Having said that I have
> friends who use Macs and PCs for media production, so ultimately the
> choice should be one that is appropriate for you. It is nice to have
> this choice.

Yeah ... not very different from my point of view ... all i like in the
MAC world is "Logic" ... and in Windows World its "Cubase" ... but as all
my sutdio and musician collegues use apples, i am always put to the point,
that i have to buy a mac for making serious mixes ...

Maybe I'll proove that even linux is a way ...

> I do hope you stick with Linux as the basis for your DAW. Best of luck!

Yeah ... i hope, too ;-) But what i heard from 64studio community is that
it's not sure, that it will continue? But in fact. It's the best
distribution (in linux world) for creating DAWs at the moment and i would
do what i could to help the community.

Regards,
Mathias

Ralf Mardorf 02-23-2010 10:32 AM

Damn! I think i killed my grub installation

> Hi Ralf,
>

>>> damn! I think I killed my GRUB and MBR with installing a windows version
>>> (I know, i shouldn't do that, but i had to try some thing with windows).
>>> Unfortunately even that windows install did not succeed... now, i am up
>>> without a bootloader. I think, windows changed the MBR, so only windows
>>> has been tried to start. So i inserted a knoppix and did a grub-install.
>>>
>>> Now, grub is back... and it has got the old entries in it ... fine ...
>>> but
>>> it won't start. The error is:
>>>
>>> - Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>>> - The boot entry (kernel /boot/vmlinuz... root=UID=...
>>> - Error 15: File not found
>>>
>>> Any ideas to fix that? Maybe the grub-install command from Knoppix has
>>> been too old? (Knoppix detected my hd as hda instead of sda (when
>>> boooting
>>> 64studio). I also tried the 64studio installer to get me to the shell.
>>> But
>>> that doesn't work as the 64studio didn't include the grub installer
>>> commands.
>>>
>>> Any hints Or am I lost? (If yes, i think i should try to get the okay
>>> for
>>> a investment into a mac... as that might be a linux, just more
>>> userfriendly, and therefore much too expensive)
>>>

>> Grub doesn't care about the hda-sda-module-issue, it just cares about
>> the sequence, e.g. one Linux call it hda and sda, but for another Linux
>> the same disks are sda and sdb, that's the way you could correct it, but
>> it's just important that "root (hdx,y)" is set to the correct number of
>> the disk sequence, 0 for the first disk, 1 for the second one etc..
>> Because you're using "root=UUID", it should be the same like it's for
>> "root=/dev/disk/by-label/", you only need to take care because of "root
>> (hdx,y)".
>>

> Okay .... i will check that.
> What i don't understand at the moment. Where does grub get the list of
> kernels and partitions from? Is it stored in MBR and installed with
> update-grub or is it read from /boot/...? So, if i change the menu enries,
> i think i have to do a update-grub afterwards?

It's not stored in the MBR. It might be, that the GRUB installer takes a
look at existing file systems.
Maybe it just takes a look at directories called /boot to see what
kernels there are, in addition there somewhere is a place were the Linux
version is stored and it also takes a look to this file.
Maybe it takes a look at all /boot/grub/menu.lst files.
Maybe it also takes a look at all /etc/fstab files.
But it's not written to the MBR and it's not GRUB doing this, but the
GRUB installer.

>> There still could be some other issues, but I guess you could fix your
>> problem by correcting "root (hdx,y)".
>>
>> You should have copied the MBR by the dd command, but don't panic, even
>> if Windows should have partitioned something there are tools to restore
>> the old partition table.
>>

> no panic yet. When i run knoppix i can mount both partitions (/ and /home)
> so i could a least do a backup ... for a fresh install...

After doing a backup there still would be no working GRUB ;). But the
error you get is harmless, this will be fixed very easy.

Tapani Sysimetsä 02-23-2010 10:40 AM

Damn! I think i killed my grub installation

Hi,

I don't know if this helps anymore, but I've often succesfully restored
Grub with this:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Tapani

Ralf Mardorf 02-23-2010 10:42 AM

Mathias Krause wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>

>> Pardon a last PS.
>>
>> I guess you know how to mount 64 Studio by Knoppix, if it shouldn't
>> mount it automatically?
>>

> yeah ... no problem so long ...
>

>>> (If yes, i think i should try to get the okay for
>>> a investment into a mac... as that might be a linux, just more
>>> userfriendly, and therefore much too expensive)
>>>

>> It's UNIX/ POSIX too, but not LINUX and the different MacOS versions
>> ship with different issues. IMO Apple is less user friendly than
>> Microsoft is, just the reputation is better, because of ancient times.
>>

> okay .. no linux ... sorry for that mistake. I knew that you would say
> that. And i knew that a lot of list users will follow up my comment. I
> also don't like the Apple way of life ... but i like Logic Pro ... and
> that's it ...
>
> regards,
> Mathias

Oh, the German Wiki says that Apple take over Emagic in 2002 and stopped
further stage for the Windows version. I didn't know that. This is a
very good reason not to use Apple, but FLOSS. There is better software
for minorities by proprietary companies today, but they try to make us
addicted and Apple all the time was the more evil company. Better use
Windows and Cubase or Nuendo, if you should need something in addition
to Linux. Apple sucks more than Microsoft. For the software Microsoft
tries the same as Apple does, but still for the hardware Microsoft is
more user friendly.

Daniel James 02-23-2010 11:07 AM

Damn! I think i killed my grub installation

Hi Mathias,

> But what i heard from 64studio community is that
> it's not sure, that it will continue?

I should clarify that point. Development has continued on the commercial
products, but we have altered the roadmap for the free download distro.
Other distros have now implemented similar designs to our free 2.x
releases and have made them available for amd64. This factor enables us
to return to our original vision, that the free distro would support the
commercial projects and therefore help sustain development.

The 3.0 beta releases are actually not bad - I use 3.0 beta3 daily - but
lacked the polish we would put into a commercial product. Our future
free downloads will be similar betas. This is because if we spend too
much time on the free download versions, not only will we be poor, but
we'll be providing very tough competition for our future commercial
products :-)

> i would
> do what i could to help the community.

You're very welcome :-) I have been working on making the development
infrastructure more open and multi-user, but that's actually a lot
harder than it sounds. It's very easy to break other people's packages,
for instance. But I'm still working on that ;-)

Cheers!

Daniel

Ralf Mardorf 02-23-2010 11:53 AM

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Mathias,
>

>> But what i heard from 64studio community is that
>> it's not sure, that it will continue?
>>

> I should clarify that point. Development has continued on the commercial
> products, but we have altered the roadmap for the free download distro.
> Other distros have now implemented similar designs to our free 2.x
> releases and have made them available for amd64. This factor enables us
> to return to our original vision, that the free distro would support the
> commercial projects and therefore help sustain development.
>
> The 3.0 beta releases are actually not bad - I use 3.0 beta3 daily - but
> lacked the polish we would put into a commercial product. Our future
> free downloads will be similar betas. This is because if we spend too
> much time on the free download versions, not only will we be poor, but
> we'll be providing very tough competition for our future commercial
> products :-)

Hi Daniel :)

that is bad news :(.

You'll have a community of testers for the free version, so this would
help the OEM versions.

And by now there's tough competition to 64 Studio, perhaps that will get
around.
I tested "Musix" and it's not able to compete, I'm not using it. I've
got an openartist installation, I'm using it, but it's not able by
default to compete for audio, but for drawing, animation and video it is
able to compete and even if it's not able to compete for audio by
default, it's anyway interesting for audio too, because it comes with a
lot of VSTs, but just as a 32-bit Linux and because it's based on Karmic
people can compile current Linux audio software, something that isn't
possible using the Hardy based beta, anyway I do agree that 3.0-beta3 is
actually not bad, it's my daily used Linux too and still my preferred
Linux for audio.
The tough competitive Linux distro is AV Linux, I'm not using it, but I
tested the Live DVD, at least I know one from this mailing list who
changed to this distro, because of issues with current 64 Studio. He
resolved to use 64 Studio again, when this issues are solved, e.g. by
being based on something more up to date but Hardy.

Hi Mathias :)

at the moment 64 Studio is fine :). Should it ever happen that it
wouldn't be fine any more, there are other multimedia distros, that are
good too. I just mentioned some relative new distros here, but there are
some established distros, e.g. planet ccrma, I never used it, but it's
used a lot, I guess more people do use this distro, than people do use
64 Studio. If you're fine with Linux now, you don't need to use Apple or
Microsoft in the future, even if 64 Studio should stall upgrades much to
long.
Even the pulseaudio issue is solved the same way it's solved for 64
Studio for e.g. openartist and there still is the possibility to use
distros like Suse, that have issues when using GNOME, to use with KDE
instead.

Daniel, Mathias, cu (on that list ;),
Ralf