Old 02-23-2010, 05:35 PM
"Mathias Krause"

Default Damn! I think i killed my grub installation

Hi Ralf,

>> damn! I think I killed my GRUB and MBR with installing a windows version
>> (I know, i shouldn't do that, but i had to try some thing with windows).
>> Unfortunately even that windows install did not succeed... now, i am up
>> without a bootloader. I think, windows changed the MBR, so only windows
>> has been tried to start. So i inserted a knoppix and did a grub-install.
>>
>> Now, grub is back... and it has got the old entries in it ... fine ...
>> but
>> it won't start. The error is:
>>
>> - Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>> - The boot entry (kernel /boot/vmlinuz... root=UID=...
>> - Error 15: File not found
>>
>> Any ideas to fix that? Maybe the grub-install command from Knoppix has
>> been too old? (Knoppix detected my hd as hda instead of sda (when
>> boooting
>> 64studio). I also tried the 64studio installer to get me to the shell.
>> But
>> that doesn't work as the 64studio didn't include the grub installer
>> commands.
>>
>> Any hints Or am I lost? (If yes, i think i should try to get the okay
>> for
>> a investment into a mac... as that might be a linux, just more
>> userfriendly, and therefore much too expensive)
>>
>> regards,
>> Mathias
>
> Grub doesn't care about the hda-sda-module-issue, it just cares about
> the sequence, e.g. one Linux call it hda and sda, but for another Linux
> the same disks are sda and sdb, that's the way you could correct it, but
> it's just important that "root (hdx,y)" is set to the correct number of
> the disk sequence, 0 for the first disk, 1 for the second one etc..
> Because you're using "root=UUID", it should be the same like it's for
> "root=/dev/disk/by-label/", you only need to take care because of "root
> (hdx,y)".
>
> There still could be some other issues, but I guess you could fix your
> problem by correcting "root (hdx,y)".

the line says "root (hd0,2)"
so ... in my view: this is correct, as it should be the second partition
on hda... or is this entry zero-based? Then it might be (hd0,1), as the
root partition should be mapped to /dev/sda2

when i change the settings in menu.lst, i do not need to do a update-grub
or anything?

Regards,
Mathias

Old 02-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Mathias Krause wrote:
> the line says "root (hd0,2)"
> so ... in my view: this is correct, as it should be the second partition
> on hda... or is this entry zero-based? Then it might be (hd0,1), as the
> root partition should be mapped to /dev/sda2

(hd0,2) means /dev/sda3

Now you found the mistake .

Correct, it's zero-based and has to be (hd0,1).

> when i change the settings in menu.lst, i do not need to do a update-grub
> or anything?

No, you are allowed to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst when ever you wish to do
it, you don't need to update grub or do any other additional thing.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:33 PM
"Mathias Krause"

Hi list,

still .. no running system back ...

> Mathias Krause wrote:
>> the line says "root (hd0,2)"
>> so ... in my view: this is correct, as it should be the second partition
>> on hda... or is this entry zero-based? Then it might be (hd0,1), as the
>> root partition should be mapped to /dev/sda2
>>

> (hd0,2) means /dev/sda3
>
> Now you found the mistake .
>
> Correct, it's zero-based and has to be (hd0,1).

okay ... i corrected that with knoppic in /boot/grub/menu.lst

but still, i cannot install grub back

when i do
grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/hda2 /dev/hda
it says:
cannot create folder /mnt/hda2/boot/grub, is already existing

when i want to check it in /boot
cd grub
i get i/o error (with knoppix, but this has not happened before, when i
managed to edit menu.lst ...
all the other directories are still fine, when mounted ...

now ... what to do ???

Regards and thanks for your help, so long
Mathias

Old 02-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 02-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> Mathias Krause wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> still .. no running system back ...

>>> (hd0,2) means /dev/sda3
>>>
>>> Now you found the mistake .
>>>
>>> Correct, it's zero-based and has to be (hd0,1).
>>>
>> okay ... i corrected that with knoppic in /boot/grub/menu.lst
>>
>> but still, i cannot install grub back
>>
>> when i do
>> grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/hda2 /dev/hda
>> it says:
>> cannot create folder /mnt/hda2/boot/grub, is already existing
>>

> Did you use a root account or sudo? The default knoppix user should not
> have permission to do this. I have not used grub in a while, I prefer
> the systemrescuecd but it is not as friendly as knoppix.

And please give us more information: