-   -   Damn! I think i killed my grub installation (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/330284-damn-i-think-i-killed-my-grub-installation.html)

"Mathias Krause" 02-22-2010 05:31 PM

Damn! I think i killed my grub installation

Hi list,

damn! I think I killed my GRUB and MBR with installing a windows version
(I know, i shouldn't do that, but i had to try some thing with windows).
Unfortunately even that windows install did not succeed... now, i am up
without a bootloader. I think, windows changed the MBR, so only windows
has been tried to start. So i inserted a knoppix and did a grub-install.

Now, grub is back... and it has got the old entries in it ... fine ... but
it won't start. The error is:

- Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
- The boot entry (kernel /boot/vmlinuz... root=UID=...
- Error 15: File not found

Any ideas to fix that? Maybe the grub-install command from Knoppix has
been too old? (Knoppix detected my hd as hda instead of sda (when boooting
64studio). I also tried the 64studio installer to get me to the shell. But
that doesn't work as the 64studio didn't include the grub installer
commands.

Any hints Or am I lost? (If yes, i think i should try to get the okay for
a investment into a mac... as that might be a linux, just more
userfriendly, and therefore much too expensive)

regards,
Mathias

Ralf Mardorf 02-22-2010 06:05 PM

Mathias Krause wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> damn! I think I killed my GRUB and MBR with installing a windows version
> (I know, i shouldn't do that, but i had to try some thing with windows).
> Unfortunately even that windows install did not succeed... now, i am up
> without a bootloader. I think, windows changed the MBR, so only windows
> has been tried to start. So i inserted a knoppix and did a grub-install.
>
> Now, grub is back... and it has got the old entries in it ... fine ... but
> it won't start. The error is:
>
> - Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
> - The boot entry (kernel /boot/vmlinuz... root=UID=...
> - Error 15: File not found
>
> Any ideas to fix that? Maybe the grub-install command from Knoppix has
> been too old? (Knoppix detected my hd as hda instead of sda (when boooting
> 64studio). I also tried the 64studio installer to get me to the shell. But
> that doesn't work as the 64studio didn't include the grub installer
> commands.
>
> Any hints Or am I lost? (If yes, i think i should try to get the okay for
> a investment into a mac... as that might be a linux, just more
> userfriendly, and therefore much too expensive)
>
> regards,
> Mathias

Grub doesn't care about the hda-sda-module-issue, it just cares about
the sequence, e.g. one Linux call it hda and sda, but for another Linux
the same disks are sda and sdb, that's the way you could correct it, but
it's just important that "root (hdx,y)" is set to the correct number of
the disk sequence, 0 for the first disk, 1 for the second one etc..
Because you're using "root=UUID", it should be the same like it's for
"root=/dev/disk/by-label/", you only need to take care because of "root
(hdx,y)".

There still could be some other issues, but I guess you could fix your
problem by correcting "root (hdx,y)".

You should have copied the MBR by the dd command, but don't panic, even
if Windows should have partitioned something there are tools to restore
the old partition table.

Ralf Mardorf 02-22-2010 06:26 PM

Damn! I think i killed my grub installation

If you need help you should do

sudo parted /dev/hda print > part_hda.txt

resp. sda, sdb etc. for all disks and post the part_xxx.txt files and
also post /boot/grub/menu.lst

Ralf Mardorf 02-22-2010 06:38 PM

Damn! I think i killed my grub installation

Pardon a last PS.

I guess you know how to mount 64 Studio by Knoppix, if it shouldn't
mount it automatically?

> Any hints Or am I lost?

It's not an serious issue.

> (If yes, i think i should try to get the okay for
> a investment into a mac... as that might be a linux, just more
> userfriendly, and therefore much too expensive)

It's UNIX/ POSIX too, but not LINUX and the different MacOS versions
ship with different issues. IMO Apple is less user friendly than
Microsoft is, just the reputation is better, because of ancient times.