Old 02-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Frank Smith

Default Music made with Linux only ( 64studio)

HI AllWell here it is.Money where your mouth is time!
Take a listen all produced in 64studio from start to finish.Rock music with a ballad for good measure.No need to login:

http://www.projectoverseer.biz/BluesLSD/

CheersBob

Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Frank Smith wrote:
> HI All
> Well here it is.
> Money where your mouth is time!
>
> Take a listen all produced in 64studio from start to finish.
> Rock music with a ballad for good measure.
> No need to login:
>
> http://www.projectoverseer.biz/BluesLSD/
>

> Cheers
> Bob

Hi Bob

good production , excepted of the very good song "Getting Free" . At
the beginning "Getting Free" is perfectly mixed, but when the vocals
start I'm not fine with it any more.

My first impression, when listening to it by two different pairs of
speakers was, that the vocals are very loud here and I had the
impression that a multi band compressor levels the vocals and in
addition that the same compressor levels down the volume of the
instruments or the volumes of the instruments are reduced manually.

Then I listened to it by headphones and I noticed that I was wrong
because of my first impression. There's something broken because of the
stereo mixing.

My second impression was, that when listening to it on mono the added
signals of the left and right vocals become more louder than the added
signals of the left and right instruments does, but I guess I'm wrong
with this too, any way especially the brass section is "covered" by the
vocals on mono. I guess changing the frequencies or making the vocals
less noisy and some instruments, especially the brass section louder,
might sound more pleasant.

However, "Street of Dreams" and "Hold back the Tide" IMO are good
produced 64 Studio Linux recordings .

Cheers!
Ralf

PS: Private I listen among others to music in a style similar to
"Getting Free".

Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Daniel James

Hi Bob,

> However, "Street of Dreams" and "Hold back the Tide" IMO are good
> produced 64 Studio Linux recordings .

Yes, 'Hold back the tide' is my favourite ;-)

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 02-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Enrico Rizzo

Hi there,
*
nice sounding guitars, music from the heart...
*
Keep on bluesin'!
*
Cheers
*
Enrico
*
*

*

Old 02-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Frank Smith

Hi All
Many many thanks for your time listening to this music.

Ralph you are right on the money and I will be using Jamin over the next few days to master all the tracks taking into accout what you have said ( you must have a very similair setup to me monitor wise)

It was with some trepidation that I sent the link to you all as I know the high standard of music you all listen to.

Again Many thanks for your time

Cheers
Bob

Old 02-22-2010, 05:32 PM
"Mathias Krause"

Hi Bob,

oh ... as soon as i got my system back working, i will also listen to the
songs ... and be sure, my ears are not the best ones here ...

Regards,
Mathias

Old 02-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Frank Smith wrote:
> Hi All
> Many many thanks for your time listening to this music.
>
> Ralph you are right on the money and I will be using Jamin over the
> next few days to master all the tracks taking into accout what you
> have said ( you must have a very similair setup to me monitor wise)
>
> It was with some trepidation that I sent the link to you all as I know
> the high standard of music you all listen to.
>
> Again Many thanks for your time
>
> Cheers
> Bob

Sorry because of my broken English.

What I wanted to say is, that listening to "Getting Free" on absolutely
perfect stereo by headphones, the mixing is ok. When listening to
monitors in a "normal" living room the vocals will cover the
instruments, especially the brass section is covered.

I try to avoid this by routing the subgroups on my mixing console to the
left and right channel, so that the signal becomes a mono signal. If
it's fine, I route the subgroups just to the wanted left or right bus.

Because of your trepidation: I very, very seldom heard any self-made
music that really was unpleasant. Just deliberately mainstream
pot-boiler ill-intentioned music is unpleasant.

If anybody, you or I ever should compose a less good song or do a less
good mixing, even if it's commercial, I guess I would be fine with it.
Most music of the charts is annoying, because if one song becomes a hit,
there will be 20 other songs similar to that song.

IMO this is the only "mistake" we could make, a song that sounds like 20
other current chart songs.

--
Auto-Tune doesn't kill music, it's bad usage does.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.O.A._(Death_of_Auto-Tune)#Writing_and_inspiration

Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Tapani Sysimets

Frank Smith wrote:
> HI All
> Well here it is.
> Money where your mouth is time!
>
> Take a listen all produced in 64studio from start to finish.
> Rock music with a ballad for good measure.
> No need to login:
>
> http://www.projectoverseer.biz/BluesLSD/
>

> Cheers
> Bob

Indeed, this is nice. Somehow reminds me of times when I was not born
yet, maybe Jefferson Airplane among others, with today's sounds and new
compositions though. I especially like the second song.

Thanks!

Tapani

Old 02-23-2010, 04:27 AM
Philippe Macaire

Hi Frank, really enjoyable indeed! Congratulations for the good work. I'm sure Getting Free could have been a bit longer (faded guitar solo... what a pity!).

Can you give us details about the setup and the programs used? I'd be curious to know what has been used for the synths and the organ, and in general if you used Ardour and the like for the production, the plugins for the effects, etc...

Cheers!

HI AllWell here it is.Money where your mouth is time!
Take a listen all produced in 64studio from start to finish.Rock music with a ballad for good measure.No need to login:

http://www.projectoverseer.biz/BluesLSD/

CheersBob

--
Best regards,
Philippe.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Frank Smith

Hi Philippe
Thank you for comments.

I was thinking of creating a setup webpage as I use 2 DDX mixers and two Pc's.
All reverbs and delays are from the mixers.

I tend to not use plugins at the moment as I like to have fingers on faders ( being a live sound engineer makes this important to me)

It's been a long learning curve with Digital mixing which is very different from the analogue way.

I'll also add some more guitar at the end! Yeah!! never a problem for me!!

Cheers
Bob

*