-   -   Flash-Player - was Auto Tune (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/326738-flash-player-auto-tune.html)

Ralf Mardorf 02-15-2010 11:05 PM

Flash-Player - was Auto Tune

Frank Smith wrote:
> Hi
> Is this why flash doesn't work on my 64 beta 3 system:
>
> "Oops, after disabling the Flashblock Add-on it's here ok too."
>

> How would I do that?
>
> Cheers
> Bob

I don't think so, anyway take a look at

Firefox menu "Tools" > Add-on > Tab: "Extensions"

it might be that you also did install some add-on that is able to block
Flash-stuff.

You can try the following too.

Launch synaptic and if needed remove "flashplugin-nonfree" and "gnash".
After that install "flashplugin-nonfree" (again).

If this doesn't work try to

1. Download and extract http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Internet/HTTP-WWW-/Adobe-Flash-Player-for-64-bit-Linux-42958.shtml
2. Close Firefox
3. Make directory /plugins in ~/.mozilla
4. Move libflashplayer.so to the ~/.mozilla/plugins directory

Ralf Mardorf 02-15-2010 11:13 PM

Flash-Player - was Auto Tune

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Frank Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Is this why flash doesn't work on my 64 beta 3 system:
>>
>> "Oops, after disabling the Flashblock Add-on it's here ok too."
>>

>> How would I do that?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Bob
>>

> I don't think so, anyway take a look at
>
> Firefox menu "Tools" > Add-on > Tab: "Extensions"
>
> it might be that you also did install some add-on that is able to block
> Flash-stuff.
>
> You can try the following too.
>
> Launch synaptic and if needed remove "flashplugin-nonfree" and "gnash".
> After that install "flashplugin-nonfree" (again).
>
> If this doesn't work

I've forgotten to add one step.
First remove the package "flashplugin-nonfree" again, resp. any lib it
has installed manually.

Then

Daniel James 02-19-2010 09:30 AM

Flash-Player - was Auto Tune

Hi Ralf,

> I've forgotten to add one step.
> First remove the package "flashplugin-nonfree" again, resp. any lib it
> has installed manually.

Also you should enable the security updates apt source when using 3.0
beta3. There is a new Firefox and a new Adobe Flash plugin in the Ubuntu
security archive today.

Cheers!

Daniel

Ralf Mardorf 02-20-2010 11:31 AM

Flash-Player - was Auto Tune

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
>> I've forgotten to add one step.
>> First remove the package "flashplugin-nonfree" again, resp. any lib it
>> has installed manually.
>
> Also you should enable the security updates apt source when using 3.0
> beta3. There is a new Firefox and a new Adobe Flash plugin in the Ubuntu
> security archive today.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Security updates are always enabled for my 64 Studio, so I already have
Firefox's current version for Hardy.
I'm not sure if I should add flashplugin-nonfree, because I once
installed a version manually and it's working ok, but maybe not secure
any more.

Hm, I guess I only add a directory
/home/spinymouse-sudo/.mozilla/*plugins* and copied libflashplayer.so to
this directory.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Anyhow, if somebody did add the 64-bit flashplayer manually it might be
important to take care about this, to avoid confusion between different
versions of flashplayer:

spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~$ cd .mozilla
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/.mozilla$ ls
appreg extensions firefox pluginreg.dat plugins
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/.mozilla$ mv plugins plugins.BAK
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/.mozilla$ ls
appreg extensions firefox pluginreg.dat plugins.BAK ### now FF can't
play http://www.thejaylenoshow.com/video/clips/monologue-12-10/1184085
any more ###
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/.mozilla$ sudo apt-get update
[snip]
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/.mozilla$ sudo apt-get install
flashplugin-nonfree
[snip]
nspluginwrapper
Suggested packages:
libflashsupport msttcorefonts ttf-xfree86-nonfree xfs
flashplugin-nonfree nspluginwrapper
[snip]
Setting up 64studio (3.0~pre10~hardy1) ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/64studio-config", line 24, in <module>
main()
File "/usr/sbin/64studio-config", line 21, in main
studio.save()
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/remix.py", line 88, in save
self._augeas.save()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/augeas.py", line 266, in save
raise IOError, "Unable to save to file!"
IOError: Unable to save to file!
dpkg: error processing 64studio (--configure):
Setting up nspluginwrapper (0.9.91.5-2ubuntu2) ...
Setting up flashplugin-nonfree (10.0.1.218+really9.0.262.0ubuntu1) ...
Downloading...
--12:59:47--
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/installers/current/9/install_flash_player_9.tar.gz
[snip]
Download done.
Flash Plugin installed.

64studio
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) ### When will
this be fixed? ###
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/.mozilla$ sudo fix64 ### At the
moment I always restore broken files from a backup, by running a script ###
/usr/local/bin/fix64
1c1
< options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1
---
> options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1 probe_mask=1
52,53c52,53
< GraphicalThemeRand=true
< GraphicalTheme=happygnome-list
---
> GraphicalThemeRand=false
> GraphicalTheme=64studio
diff -r /usr/local/share/fix64/etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list
6,7d5
< deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-security restricted main
multiverse universe
< deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-backports restricted main
multiverse universe
9,10d6
< deb http://apt.harleystudio.co.za hardy main
< deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/shutter/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/.mozilla$ sudo fix64
/usr/local/bin/fix64
NO DIFF /etc/modprobe.d/hda-intel IS EQUAL TO THE BACKUP
NO DIFF /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom IS EQUAL TO THE BACKUP
NO DIFF /etc/apt/* ARE EQUAL TO THE BACKUP
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/.mozilla$ ls
appreg extensions firefox pluginreg.dat plugins.BAK
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/.mozilla$ cat pluginreg.dat
Generated File. Do not edit.

[HEADER]
Version:0.08:$

[PLUGINS]
/home/spinymouse-sudo/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so:$
:$
1233633833000:1:1:$
Shockwave Flash 10.0 r22:$
Shockwave Flash:$
2
0:application/x-shockwave-flash:Shockwave Flash:swf:$
1:application/futuresplash:FutureSplash Player:spl:$
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/.mozilla$ ls -l
total 20
-rw-r--r-- 1 spinymouse-sudo spinymouse-sudo 335 2009-04-29 13:53 appreg
drwx------ 4 spinymouse-sudo spinymouse-sudo 4096 2009-05-26 11:58
extensions
drwx------ 4 spinymouse-sudo spinymouse-sudo 4096 2009-05-01 15:00 firefox
-rw------- 1 spinymouse-sudo spinymouse-sudo 301 2009-12-18 14:47
pluginreg.dat
drwxr-xr-x 2 spinymouse-sudo spinymouse-sudo 4096 2009-05-26 04:10
plugins.BAK
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/.mozilla$ mv pluginreg.dat pluginreg.dat.BAK
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/.mozilla$ ls
appreg extensions firefox pluginreg.dat.BAK plugins.BAK
### now I again can play
http://www.thejaylenoshow.com/video/clips/monologue-12-10/1184085 ###
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/.mozilla$ ls -l /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree
total 7984
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8159372 2010-02-20 12:59 libflashplayer.so

I'm not sure if pluginreg.dat isn't needed for anything else, but the
upgraded falshplayer is ok. However, the version installed by the
package is in /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree, while howtos for manually
installation refer to ~/.mozilla/plugins.

Thank you for the information that the package version now is ok.

Cheers!
Ralf

Ralf Mardorf 02-20-2010 11:39 AM

Flash-Player - was Auto Tune

Half OT: I'm sharing one profile for 64 Studio's Firefox with a profile
for Suse 11.2, it's ok for browsing, but 64 Studio isn't able to play
flash videos when using this profile. For another profile, that isn't
shared it was and is ok.

Frank Smith 09-18-2010 12:42 PM

Flash-Player - was Auto Tune

Hi All
I have now re-installed 64studio beta 3
Cannot get HDSPcinf to run at all The card is now a RME 9632.
Also I have treid to get flash running:

Launch synaptic and if needed remove "flashplugin-nonfree" and "gnash".

After that install "flashplugin-nonfree" (again).

I get an error now saying nsplugin not found and cannot be installed.

Any ideas for now

Gustin Johnson 09-18-2010 07:42 PM

Flash-Player - was Auto Tune

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Frank Smith <frsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
> I have now re-installed 64studio beta 3
> Cannot get HDSPcinf to run at all The card is now a RME 9632.

I have never used this particular card. I only have experience with
the 9652s, and they have always just worked. Does the card show up in
lspci?

What about an entry in /proc/interrupts

Does the 9632 use the same driver as the 9652 (hdsp)? If so, is the
module loaded (lsmod |grep hdsp)? Anything interesting in the logs?
Try "grep hdsp /var/log/messages" or "grep hdsp /var/log/syslog" or
"grep /var/log/udev".

> Also I have treid to get flash running:
>>
>> Launch synaptic and if needed remove "flashplugin-nonfree" and "gnash".
>> After that install "flashplugin-nonfree" (again).
>>
> I get an error now saying nsplugin not found and cannot be installed.
>
> Any ideas for now

I would not bother using apt for flash. I now get flash directly from adobe:
http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Ralf Mardorf 09-22-2010 08:41 AM

Flash-Player - was Auto Tune

On Sat, 2010-09-18 at 13:42 -0600, Gustin Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Frank Smith <frsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All
> > I have now re-installed 64studio beta 3
> > Cannot get HDSPcinf to run at all The card is now a RME 9632.
>
> I have never used this particular card. I only have experience with
> the 9652s, and they have always just worked. Does the card show up in
> lspci?
>
> What about an entry in /proc/interrupts
>
> Does the 9632 use the same driver as the 9652 (hdsp)? If so, is the
> module loaded (lsmod |grep hdsp)? Anything interesting in the logs?
> Try "grep hdsp /var/log/messages" or "grep hdsp /var/log/syslog" or
> "grep /var/log/udev".
>
> > Also I have treid to get flash running:
> >>
> >> Launch synaptic and if needed remove "flashplugin-nonfree" and "gnash".
> >> After that install "flashplugin-nonfree" (again).
> >>
> > I get an error now saying nsplugin not found and cannot be installed.
> >
> > Any ideas for now
>
> I would not bother using apt for flash. I now get flash directly from adobe:
> http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

1. gnash is complete bull shit, if you wist to use the Internet
2. take care to get an amd64 version of flash, if your 64 Studio is at
this architecture
3. Do you use a 'clean' 64 Studio regarding to pulseaudio?
As soon as pulseaudio is included to a Linux, you need to become a
Voodoo priest to fix all the issues and note that you can't become a
Voodoo priest just by reading a Wiki, you need to slaughter chickens for
several years, eat puffer fishs completely etc.

But lets imagine you'll fix your issues regarding to rt audio (and I'm
sure you'll be able to do it), while flash still might not work, perhaps
you could use your good sound card for rt audio only, but use an
elcheapo onboard sound card for desktop sound, such as sound for flash.

Did you read the messages while the proprietary flash seems to be
installed by apt or synaptic? Take care of the messages, sometimes you
just install the package that should install the proprietary flash, but
even if the package is installed, this is no guarantee that also the
proprietary flash is installed, because very often this packages tries
to get the proprietary flash from an outdated URL.

Ralf Mardorf 09-22-2010 08:46 AM

Flash-Player - was Auto Tune

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 10:41 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-09-18 at 13:42 -0600, Gustin Johnson wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Frank Smith <frsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi All
> > > I have now re-installed 64studio beta 3
> > > Cannot get HDSPcinf to run at all The card is now a RME 9632.
> >
> > I have never used this particular card. I only have experience with
> > the 9652s, and they have always just worked. Does the card show up in
> > lspci?
> >
> > What about an entry in /proc/interrupts
> >
> > Does the 9632 use the same driver as the 9652 (hdsp)? If so, is the
> > module loaded (lsmod |grep hdsp)? Anything interesting in the logs?
> > Try "grep hdsp /var/log/messages" or "grep hdsp /var/log/syslog" or
> > "grep /var/log/udev".
> >
> > > Also I have treid to get flash running:

> > > I get an error now saying nsplugin not found and cannot be installed.
> > >
> > > Any ideas for now
> >
> > I would not bother using apt for flash. I now get flash directly from adobe:
> > http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
>
> 1. gnash is complete bull shit, if you wist to use the Internet
> 2. take care to get an amd64 version of flash, if your 64 Studio is at
> this architecture
> 3. Do you use a 'clean' 64 Studio regarding to pulseaudio?
> As soon as pulseaudio is included to a Linux, you need to become a
> Voodoo priest to fix all the issues and note that you can't become a
> Voodoo priest just by reading a Wiki, you need to slaughter chickens for
> several years, eat puffer fishs completely etc.
>
> But lets imagine you'll fix your issues regarding to rt audio (and I'm
> sure you'll be able to do it), while flash still might not work, perhaps
> you could use your good sound card for rt audio only, but use an
> elcheapo onboard sound card for desktop sound, such as sound for flash.
>
> Did you read the messages while the proprietary flash seems to be
> installed by apt or synaptic? Take care of the messages, sometimes you
> just install the package that should install the proprietary flash, but
> even if the package is installed, this is no guarantee that also the
> proprietary flash is installed, because very often this packages tries
> to get the proprietary flash from an outdated URL.

PS:

If you shouldn't find the current flash, I can send you the 64-bit file
from my install.

Daniel James 09-22-2010 02:23 PM

Flash-Player - was Auto Tune

Hi Bob,

> I get an error now saying nsplugin not found and cannot be installed.

As Ralf mentioned, the download URL gets broken every time Adobe changes
their website. Instead, I would recommend you try either the native
64-bit beta of Adobe's 10.1 plugin:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

or to compile your own Gnash, because the Ubuntu version of Gnash is too
far behind upstream to be useful.

Cheers!

Daniel