-   -   Auto Tune (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/326388-auto-tune.html)

Frank Smith 02-15-2010 12:05 PM

Auto Tune

HI Matewont play on my system!
CheersBob

On 15 February 2010 12:42, Daniel James <daniel@64studio.com> wrote:

Hi all,

> The first time I got *really* angry about it was when I heard Cher's

> 'Believe'. Cher has a powerful voice and this is a great song, all

> totally ruined by stupid autotune. I can't bear to listen to it because

> it just grates on my nerves.

Ignore the add and skip to the last 25 seconds of this clip:

http://www.thejaylenoshow.com/video/clips/monologue-12-10/1184085

See also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z13AjI8n4I&feature=player_embedded

Cheers!

Daniel

Ralf Mardorf 02-15-2010 12:29 PM

Auto Tune

Frank Smith wrote:
> HI Mate
> wont play on my system!
>
> Cheers
> Bob

It's the same here, the Jay Leno Show wasn't played by my Firefox, but
YouTube was ok.

Time for a new signature.

--
Auto-Tune don't kills music, it's bad usage does.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.O.A._(Death_of_Auto-Tune)#Writing_and_inspiration

Daniel James 02-15-2010 12:30 PM

Auto Tune

Hi Bob,

> wont play on my system!

> Ignore the add and skip to the last 25 seconds of this clip:
>
> http://www.thejaylenoshow.com/video/clips/monologue-12-10/1184085
>
> See also:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z13AjI8n4I&feature=player_embedded

Sorry, I forgot to say you will need Adobe's Flash plugin installed.
Works for me on 3.0 beta3.

Cheers!

Daniel

Ralf Mardorf 02-15-2010 12:46 PM

Auto Tune

> Sorry, I forgot to say you will need Adobe's Flash plugin installed.
> Works for me on 3.0 beta3.

Doesn't work for my 3.0-beta3. Adobe's/Macromedia's Flashplayer 64-bit
version is installed.

Ralf Mardorf 02-15-2010 01:00 PM

Auto Tune

Daniel James wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to say you will need Adobe's Flash plugin installed.
> Works for me on 3.0 beta3.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Oops, after disabling the Flashblock Add-on it's here ok too.

--
Auto-Tune doesn't kill music, it's bad usage does.

"Mathias Krause" 02-15-2010 01:44 PM

Auto Tune

Hi list,

> Daniel James wrote:
>> Sorry, I forgot to say you will need Adobe's Flash plugin installed.
>> Works for me on 3.0 beta3.
> Oops, after disabling the Flashblock Add-on it's here ok too.

Flash works fine on my 64studio b3. But i did not try that videos (will do
that tonight...)

> Auto-Tune doesn't kill music, it's bad usage does.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.O.A._(Death_of_Auto-Tune)#Writing_and_inspiration
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z13AjI8n4I&feature=player_embedded

Does anybody of you use or know an autotune plugin/app for 64studio? I
don't like that autotuned songs in radio, but it's a nice effect to play
with. But i didn't find anything for linux...

So, what i did, was writing a small autotune dssi plugin, where you can
play notes with midi keyboard, and tune youre voice (or other samples) to
that note. The plugin is based on a ladspa plugin called autotalent. It is
not really finished, but maybe, I'll finish it, some day...

Regards,
Mathias

Jonathan Leonard 02-15-2010 05:15 PM

Auto Tune

Definitely my favorite use of autotune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNaCgXChvlw
Yeah!!!! * ;)

Hi list,

Ralf Mardorf 02-15-2010 08:24 PM

Auto Tune

Jonathan Leonard wrote:
> Definitely my favorite use of autotune:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNaCgXChvlw
>
> Yeah!!!! ;)

Very good, but also to much. It's the music of my generation :), born in
1966. Vocals here are similar to the guitar from Praxis sometimes. Btw.
Praxis are Bill Laswell, Buckethead, Bryan "Brain" Mantia, Bernie
Worrell. I like avant-garde and non-academic jazz mixed with grind core,
old punk, but also Fred Frith, Jon Zorn and of course Weather Report.
Naked City might be influenced by the Accüsed.
Naked City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KNx4UMDEPM
As a comparison Weather Report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F02mBkBoMQw&feature=related
I prefer both to your example, the similar hard Naked City without
Auto-Tune and the less hard Weather report without Auto-Tune. This
Auto-Tune is a nice effect, but it becomes annoying when I need to
listen to it to more then 10 seconds per hour.
Phew and the audio quality of YouTube also is hard to take after
listening to YouTube for an hour or more.

I guessed some Auto-Tune like effects were done by the Accüsed and Naked
City, by using the overdrive for the vocals similar to a kazzo and on
the other side there's the vocoder for Bands like Weather Report. I
couldn't find examples for both by YouTube.

Ralf Mardorf 02-15-2010 08:52 PM

Auto Tune

> Jonathan Leonard wrote:
>> Definitely my favorite use of autotune:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNaCgXChvlw
>>
>> Yeah!!!! ;)
>

> Very good, but also to much. It's the music of my generation :), born
> in 1966.

I wanted to say, that it's using the elements of the music of my
generation and that there are some people of my age doing something
similar. Btw. the term "Crunkcore" is knew to me. Also for mainstream
it's not unusual to do similar music, e.g. NIN sounds like a mix of Exit
13 and Ke$ha and similar to your crunkcore example.*
*

Frank Smith 02-15-2010 10:38 PM

Auto Tune

HiIs this why flash doesn't work on my 64 beta 3 system:
"Oops, after disabling the Flashblock Add-on it's here ok too."

How would I do that?

CheersBob