Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Daniel James

Default Auto Tune

Hi Mathias,

> So, what i did, was writing a small autotune dssi plugin, where you can
> play notes with midi keyboard, and tune youre voice (or other samples) to
> that note. The plugin is based on a ladspa plugin called autotalent. It is
> not really finished, but maybe, I'll finish it, some day...

If you post the source online you might get some help with that. Release
early - release often :-)

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Mathias Krause

Hi Daniel,

Daniel James schrieb:
> Hi Mathias,
>
>> So, what i did, was writing a small autotune dssi plugin, where you can
>> play notes with midi keyboard, and tune youre voice (or other
>> samples) to
>> that note. The plugin is based on a ladspa plugin called autotalent.
>> It is
>> not really finished, but maybe, I'll finish it, some day...
>
> If you post the source online you might get some help with that.
> Release early - release often :-)
you're right! That's what I planned to do. But I tried to contact the
author of autotalent if i am allowed to do that, as there's a lot of
code based on that autotalent thing, but i did not get an answer, since
3 months now.

Regards,
Mathias

Old 02-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Daniel James

Hi Mathias,

> I tried to contact the
> author of autotalent if i am allowed to do that, as there's a lot of
> code based on that autotalent thing, but i did not get an answer, since
> 3 months now.

Autotalent is released under GNU GPL 2 'or later', so while it's polite
to ask, you don't actually require specific permission to release your
own derivative version under the GPL:

/* autotalent.c
An auto-tuning LADSPA plugin.

Free software by Thomas A. Baran.
http://web.mit.edu/tbaran/www/autotalent.html
VERSION 0.1
May 31, 2009

(at your option) any later version.

I'm looking forward to trying your version :-)

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 02-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> Hi Mathias,
>

>> I tried to contact the
>> author of autotalent if i am allowed to do that, as there's a lot of
>> code based on that autotalent thing, but i did not get an answer, since
>> 3 months now.
>>

> Autotalent is released under GNU GPL 2 'or later', so while it's polite
> to ask, you don't actually require specific permission to release your
> own derivative version under the GPL:
>
> /* autotalent.c
> An auto-tuning LADSPA plugin.
>
> Free software by Thomas A. Baran.
> http://web.mit.edu/tbaran/www/autotalent.html
> VERSION 0.1
> May 31, 2009
>
> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
>
> it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>
> the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
>
> (at your option) any later version.
>
> I'm looking forward to trying your version :-)
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Mathias

this is the advantage of FLOSS. In the long run there will be something
similar to biological evolution. Today proprietary software for
minorities often has a better quality, because the evolution for FLOSS
still is in the opening stage. In the long run there will be real
evolution, money won't matter, while for proprietary software progress
always will depend on money and robbery.
You aren't a robber if you will make your FLOSS source code public,
because it depends on FLOSS source code. This is the idea of FLOSS, it's
wanted.
Discussions on LMMS devel and LAD were because of people using FLOSS
code for their own software, while they released the software without
the changed source code and this in combination with commercial
interests. Not only straight for money, if a professor does it for his
own reputation, it implied an money issue.
Even if they unmeant violated the GPL, because of their commercial
backrounds a lot of people were pissed.
If you ever should unmeant violate the GPL nobody will damn you.
Hopefully you don't be afraid of this. And btw. I don't think that you
even would unmeant violate the GPL by anything you will do.
There very seldom is trouble because of GPL issues on audio lists and I
never heard of trouble, because someone like you just used open source
code and published changed code to audio lists. To the contrary those
coders always were welcome.

Post it to the list, if you like to do that!
Ralf

Old 02-22-2010, 05:10 PM
"Mathias Krause"

Hi Daniel,

>> I tried to contact the
>> author of autotalent if i am allowed to do that, as there's a lot of
>> code based on that autotalent thing, but i did not get an answer, since
>> 3 months now.
>
> Autotalent is released under GNU GPL 2 'or later', so while it's polite
> to ask, you don't actually require specific permission to release your
> own derivative version under the GPL:
>
> /* autotalent.c
> An auto-tuning LADSPA plugin.
>
> Free software by Thomas A. Baran.
> http://web.mit.edu/tbaran/www/autotalent.html
> VERSION 0.1
> May 31, 2009
>
> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
>
> it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>
> the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
>
> (at your option) any later version.
>
> I'm looking forward to trying your version :-)

You got me *g* ... in fact ... code is not stable enough, yet.

Actually, today i got contacted by Tom Baran who created Autotalend. And,
what suprise, he had the same feature, which i was trying to create
already in his mind... Let's see what comes...

Regards,
Mathias