Old 02-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Remastersys

Tapani Sysimetsä wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Folderol wrote:
>
>> The situation is getting pretty desperate. I have now had to add the
>> debian squeeze repository to get sufficiently up-to-date libraries for
>> compiling things like Rosegarden - thorn and Yoshimi (an absolutely
>> brilliant semi-fork of ZynAddSubFX).
>>
>> I feel I'm walking on eggshells at the moment, and that the whole
>> tottering edifice will come crashing down on me at any moment. I don't
>> dare do any general, or even security updates on this machine :
>>

> I have used Remastersys to successfully backup a working system on a
> DVD, and then made experiments like compiling new packages and adding
> odd sources. If things come crashing down I've simply and quickly
> re-installed the latest snapshot of the working system. I've been doing
> this with a Debian based system that has packages from 64 Studio repos
> and elsewhere. I haven't tried it with 64 Studio 3.0 beta, but it should
> work with Ubuntu based systems too. I have to boot with the custom
> kernel (+ squashfs-modules and either the aufs-modules or
> unionfs-modules) when making the backup, but rt-kernels and all other
> stuff will be there after re-install, Remastersys can make a backup of
> the complete system. This tool has really saved my day, more than once!
>
> http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys
> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/remastersys.html
>
> Greetings,
>
> Tapani

This answers my question about 3.0-beta3.

Btw. Remastersys is included to AVLinux by default, never tested it,
because I don't have AVLinux installed. I'm doing backups for my 64
Studio 3.0-beta3 by just tar.gz the file system using another Linux
installation.

--
Bert from Sesame Street in Taxi Driver scene "You Talkin' Me?":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IXmHqPWxUw&feature=related