Old 02-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Tapani Sysimetsä

Default Remastersys (was: Crafting Digital Media now available direct from 64 Studio)

Hello,

Folderol wrote:
> The situation is getting pretty desperate. I have now had to add the
> debian squeeze repository to get sufficiently up-to-date libraries for
> compiling things like Rosegarden - thorn and Yoshimi (an absolutely
> brilliant semi-fork of ZynAddSubFX).
>
> I feel I'm walking on eggshells at the moment, and that the whole
> tottering edifice will come crashing down on me at any moment. I don't
> dare do any general, or even security updates on this machine :

I have used Remastersys to successfully backup a working system on a
DVD, and then made experiments like compiling new packages and adding
odd sources. If things come crashing down I've simply and quickly
re-installed the latest snapshot of the working system. I've been doing
this with a Debian based system that has packages from 64 Studio repos
and elsewhere. I haven't tried it with 64 Studio 3.0 beta, but it should
work with Ubuntu based systems too. I have to boot with the custom
kernel (+ squashfs-modules and either the aufs-modules or
unionfs-modules) when making the backup, but rt-kernels and all other
stuff will be there after re-install, Remastersys can make a backup of
the complete system. This tool has really saved my day, more than once!

http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/remastersys.html

Greetings,

Tapani

Old 02-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Folderol

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 10:33:16 +0200
Tapani Sysimetsä <tapani.sysimetsa@welho.com> wrote:
> I have used Remastersys to successfully backup a working system on a
> DVD, and then made experiments like compiling new packages and adding
> odd sources. If things come crashing down I've simply and quickly
> re-installed the latest snapshot of the working system. I've been doing
> this with a Debian based system that has packages from 64 Studio repos
> and elsewhere. I haven't tried it with 64 Studio 3.0 beta, but it should
> work with Ubuntu based systems too. I have to boot with the custom
> kernel (+ squashfs-modules and either the aufs-modules or
> unionfs-modules) when making the backup, but rt-kernels and all other
> stuff will be there after re-install, Remastersys can make a backup of
> the complete system. This tool has really saved my day, more than once!
>
> http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys
> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/remastersys.html
>
> Greetings,
>
> Tapani