-   -   The old Google thread: Google vs Clusty (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/323649-old-google-thread-google-vs-clusty.html)

Ralf Mardorf 02-10-2010 09:06 AM

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
>> Btw. I don't know if Clusty don't do political censorship
>
> See the claims here:
>
> http://clusty.com/censorship
> http://clusty.com/privacy
>
> This is what got me started using Clusty in the first place, after
> Google caved into the Internet Police in China. I don't think we built
> a free and open Internet to let it be abused in that way.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Shelved censorship, but taking care about privacy. I seldom use Clusty
or Ixquick and I'm not using the CustomizeGoogle add-on, that only is
available for Firefox, but perhaps this is a compromise:
http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

Btw. for openArtist's Firefox it always comes with a NSA logo ;),
generally the ironic remarks change, e.g.
http://www.scroogle.org/gifs/g2press.gif :D. The real NSA-Google seems
to be still in development, I couldn't find a link of this mega-evil
joint venture. Referring to the China issue such a joint venture is
praised as an advantage,
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/151605?rdf, but I don't trust
the NSA.

Maybe Scroogle could be included to the list of search engines, if
Google should be banned by the next release, even if Scroogle won't
solve the censorship issue.

0,02€
Ralf

Daniel James 02-10-2010 09:25 AM

The old Google thread: Google vs Clusty

Hi Ralf,

> Shelved censorship, but taking care about privacy.

What was interesting about recent developments was that Google only
announced the end of its collaboration with the Chinese government after
its own servers came under attack. So I don't think they can claim the
moral high ground.

> Maybe Scroogle could be included to the list of search engines

I'll have to check it out more closely.

Cheers!

Daniel

Ralf Mardorf 02-10-2010 09:36 AM

The old Google thread: Google vs Clusty

Hi Daniel,

> What was interesting about recent developments was that Google only
> announced the end of its collaboration with the Chinese government after
> its own servers came under attack. So I don't think they can claim the
> moral high ground.

Full ACK!

>> Maybe Scroogle could be included to the list of search engines
>>

> I'll have to check it out more closely.

http://www.scroogle.org/
http://www.scroogle.org/staffsc.html

I've to admit that I don't know Scroogle and that I'll do some
additional inquiries, but it seems to be that they aren't crooks.
Sorry, I just did inquiries on German, but there are links on English at
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scroogle, among other things it's source code.

Btw. there's a https (SSL) version: https://ssl.scroogle.org/

Best,
Ralf

Ralf Mardorf 02-10-2010 09:47 AM

The old Google thread: Google vs Clusty

The opening comment of the source code is interesting:
http://fravia.com/nbbw.c