Old 02-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Brian Bergstrom

Default Debug shutdown delay

I recently install 64 Studio 3.0b3 on my Thinkpad T22. Everything works
great except for shutting down. I click the menu and select the item to
shutdown/logout/reboot and it just sits there for 30-60 seconds. It
isn't frozen as I can't still manipulate the gui. Then finally the
dialog pops up for me to choose logout/shutdown/reboot.

I didn't see anything in the log that was causing this.

How would I go about debugging this to find out what is causing the stall?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 02-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Brian Bergstrom wrote:
> I recently install 64 Studio 3.0b3 on my Thinkpad T22. Everything works
> great except for shutting down. I click the menu and select the item to
> shutdown/logout/reboot and it just sits there for 30-60 seconds. It
> isn't frozen as I can't still manipulate the gui. Then finally the
> dialog pops up for me to choose logout/shutdown/reboot.
>
> I didn't see anything in the log that was causing this.
>
> How would I go about debugging this to find out what is causing the stall?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Phew, did you try a stacktrace? It's weird, but OTOH, if there are no
additional issues, it might be something acceptable.
Did you compile a lot of applications without adding those applications
to the package management, so that the package management is detecting
putatively unneeded packages (dependencies for the installed
applications, that were installed, but not by a package)? I'm able to
imagine that detecting issues similar to putatively unneeded packages
could take some time.

Another thought, when you end a session, will it store running
applications and restore them for the next session? Perhaps there will
be 100 instances of jackd, that needs to be killed for each shut down.

It might be something very simple. Did you run top to see if there are
unwanted threads etc.?

If everything is fine, but just logout, shutdown and reboot is delayed
for less than 2 minutes (but unfortunately for a minute), I also would
ask the list, but accept it, if nobody should know how to fix this
unusual behaviour.

Does this appear since you installed 64 Studio, or was 64 Studio ok for
a while and does it appear after using 64 Studio for a while?

I guess a stacktrace would be impossible, because your system seems to
be ok, but just annoying, when you end a session.

*?*
Ralf

Old 02-09-2010, 02:15 AM
Brian Bergstrom

Success! I started killing items in htop and requesting the shutdown
menu until I got the culprit. WICD. I am not sure why, but that daemon
was causing the minute delay. I use the internet on it pretty rarely so
I'll just remove that from the startup list.

I am usually a patient person and would deal with this, but I use this
laptop on stage and and when the sound dude and next act wants to setup,
I usually like to expidite my equipment takedown. Also, there was no
delay when I ran 64 Studio 2.1 on this same machine which gave me hope
for solving it.

Thanks for the shove in the right direction Ralf.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 02-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Brian Bergstrom wrote:
> WICD

I don't know WICD. Anyway, we do a shutdown to enable that all running
processes can store useful data and settings. It's conceivably that a
network manager needs to manage and store a lot on shutdown.
If you like this network manager you should contact the coder(s). Maybe
this is a solvable issue.

I remember my C64 and Atari ST. No shutdown, just a switch to turn it
off .

IMO killing WICD before the shutdown seems not to be a good solution, as
long as the reason for the stall is unknown.

Ralf

Old 02-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Brian Bergstrom wrote:
> I use the internet on it pretty rarely so I'll just remove that from the startup list.

You used it just for the internet? Depending to the kind of connection,
there should be an alternative application able to do the same job.
Maybe WICD stalled, because it tries to detect, if there are any other
network connections done by other applications that need the information
that they have to log out.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Brian Bergstrom

I think I got a bit excited. It turns out that after the first attempt
to get the shutdown dialog, it pops up instantly after that. WICD was
the first thing I killed, so I thought it was the culprit. I removed it
from startup and uninstalled it from the system, but the shutdown delay
still happens. Herm, back to step one.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Daniel James

Hi Brian,

> I think I got a bit excited. It turns out that after the first attempt
> to get the shutdown dialog, it pops up instantly after that. WICD was
> the first thing I killed, so I thought it was the culprit. I removed it
> from startup and uninstalled it from the system, but the shutdown delay
> still happens.

I've seen something similar on 3.0 beta3, only for certain users of the
system though. Hopefully this will have been fixed upstream by the time
of our next beta.

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM