Old 01-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Mathias Krause

Default Fw: where is: linux-headers-2.6.29-1-common-multimedia

Hi Quentin,

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Mathias Krause wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> in the meantime, i did some more extensive searches through the web.
>> That leads me to that thread:
>> http://www.64studio.com/node/1047?page=1
>>
>> So, i installed
>> linux-image-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103 and linux-source-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103
>>
>> I booted into that kernel, but still NVIDIA installer says:
>> ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running
>> kernel
>>

> You need to install the "linux-headers" package. The souce is installed
> in the /usr/src folder, but as an archive that you need to unpack before
> you compile your own kernel (You don't need to...)
>
> This worked on my system that I had to reinstall recently to get rid of
> an odd state I put it in while testing all different kinds of unstable
> software.
>
> Cheers,
> Quentin

Okay. I tried to install the linux-headers for the installed kernel.
That gives me the error:

linux-headers-2.6.29-1-multimedia-amd64:
Hängt ab: linux-headers-2.6.29-1-common-multimedia (=2.6.29-2) but it
is not installable

so i installed kernel 2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103 (Btw: Whats the difference
between rt kernel and multimedia kernel? Isn't that something completely
different?) and the linux-headers 2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103.

The linux headers where installes in
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103 and not in an archive that
i have to unpack. I tried to install nvidia, but still the error message
is, that it didn't find the kernel sources.

So i tried to set the kernel-source path with option. But then i get:

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> License accepted.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 190.53.
-> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
-> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
-> Using the kernel source path
'/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/' as specified by the
'--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
-> Kernel source path: '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/'
-> Kernel output path: '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/'
ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
you either have configured kernel sources matching your
kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
installed on your system. If you specified a separate
output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Any hints?

Regards
Mathias

Old 01-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Quentin Harley

Mathias Krause wrote:
> The linux headers where installes in
> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103 and not in an archive that
> i have to unpack. I tried to install nvidia, but still the error message
> is, that it didn't find the kernel sources.
>
> So i tried to set the kernel-source path with option. But then i get:
>
> Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
> -> License accepted.
> -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 190.53.
> -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
> -> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
> -> Using the kernel source path
> '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/' as specified by the
> '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
> -> Kernel source path: '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/'
> -> Kernel output path: '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/'
> ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
> you either have configured kernel sources matching your
> kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
> on your system.
>
> If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
> you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
> installed on your system. If you specified a separate
> output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
> the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
> directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
> the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.
>
> Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
> kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
> their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
> the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.
>
> Any hints?

Sounds like you are being blocked around every obstacle...

I thinks I'll do a reinstall to see what is needed to get it going
without tearing your hair out ;-)

I'll report back later,
Cheers

Old 02-03-2010, 05:52 AM
Ralf Mardorf

>> The linux headers where installes in
>> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103 and not in an archive that
>> i have to unpack. I tried to install nvidia, but still the error message
>> is, that it didn't find the kernel sources.
>>
>> So i tried to set the kernel-source path with option. But then i get:
>>
>> Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
>> -> License accepted.
>> -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 190.53.
>> -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
>> -> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
>> -> Using the kernel source path
>> '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/' as specified by the
>> '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
>> -> Kernel source path: '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/'
>> -> Kernel output path: '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/'
>> ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
>> you either have configured kernel sources matching your
>> kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
>> on your system.
>>
>> If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
>> you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
>> installed on your system. If you specified a separate
>> output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
>> the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
>> directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
>> the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.
>>
>> Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
>> kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
>> their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
>> the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.
>>
>> Any hints?

Perhaps the exported variables path is /usr/src and not
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/? Did you try "export
SYSOUT=/path..." and "export SYSSRC=/path..." without changing the
terminal or user after doing this?

What are the outputs of "echo $SYSOUT" and "echo $SYSSRC"?

Perhaps the headers don't match to the running kernel? Does "uname -r"
fit to the path for the headers? It might be that
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103 is the right path, but
maybe you were running the multimedia kernel. Btw. someone asked if
there's a difference between "multimedia" and "rt", the multimedia
kernel is a rt patched kernel too, but it might be that the version of
the rt patch differs, even for equal vanilla kernel versions.

The latest mail says that the original problem now is solved, but that
there still is no explanation because of the error. My read is, that the
variables were not set correctly.

I would try it manually ...
VARINAME=xyz
export VARINAME=xyz
... and check if it's set as wanted by ...
echo $VARINAME

And because of the sources, I run Synaptic and saw that there aren't the
common headers in the amd64 repository. In any case I guess it is good
to compile the latest kernel and to add latest rtirq, when there's the
need to build the graphics module ... not generally, but at the moment
there seems to be a big step for the real-time kernel (and rtirq).