Old 01-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Michael Jarosch

Default Fw: where is: linux-headers-2.6.29-1-common-multimedia

Am Sonntag, den 31.01.2010, 13:02 +0100 schrieb Mathias Krause:
> Hi list,
>
> in the meantime, i did some more extensive searches through the web.
> That leads me to that thread:
> http://www.64studio.com/node/1047?page=1
>
> So, i installed
> linux-image-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103 and linux-source-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103
>
> I booted into that kernel, but still NVIDIA installer says:
> ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running
> kernel

Unfortunately, I haven't got a nvidia card, but I'm trying to remember
my experiences some time ago:
I _guess_, you can tell the nvidia-installer to take a certain path as
the source tree. You can find out, how it's done, by using the --help
option.

Otherwise: Why not just using the "nv" or "nouveau" driver by editing
xorg.conf? Generally, the opensource-drivers are causing less problems -
at least the "nv" one. Unfortunately, "nv" doesn't support 3D-hardware
acceleration.

Ich habe gerade keine nvidia-Karte, aber ich versuche, mich an meine
Erfahrungen von früher zu erinnern:
Ich _glaube_, Du kannst dem Nvidia-Installer einen bestimmten Pfad
mitteilen, den er als Source-Tree benutzen soll. Wie das gemacht wird,
findest Du heraus, indem Du die --help Option benutzt.

Andererseits wäre es möglich, die Treiber "nv" oder "nouveau" zu
benutzen. Die Open-Source-Treiber verursachen normalerweise weniger
Ärger - zumindest der "nv". Dummerweise unterstützt "nv" keine
3D-Hardwarebeschleunigung.

Greetings!
Grüße!

Mitsch

Old 02-03-2010, 04:39 PM
"Mathias Krause"

Hi,

>>> The linux headers where installes in
>>> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103 and not in an archive
>>> that
>>> i have to unpack. I tried to install nvidia, but still the error
>>> message
>>> is, that it didn't find the kernel sources.
>>>
>>> So i tried to set the kernel-source path with option. But then i get:
>>>
>>> Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
>>> -> License accepted.
>>> -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 190.53.
>>> -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
>>> -> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
>>> -> Using the kernel source path
>>> '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/' as specified by the
>>> '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
>>> -> Kernel source path: '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/'
>>> -> Kernel output path: '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/'
>>> ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
>>> you either have configured kernel sources matching your
>>> kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
>>> on your system.
>>>
>>> If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
>>> you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
>>> installed on your system. If you specified a separate
>>> output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
>>> the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
>>> directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
>>> the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.
>>>
>>> Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
>>> kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
>>> their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
>>> the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.
>>>
>>> Any hints?
>

> Perhaps the exported variables path is /usr/src and not
> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103/? Did you try "export
> SYSOUT=/path..." and "export SYSSRC=/path..." without changing the
> terminal or user after doing this?
>
> What are the outputs of "echo $SYSOUT" and "echo $SYSSRC"?
>
> Perhaps the headers don't match to the running kernel? Does "uname -r"
> fit to the path for the headers? It might be that
> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.6-rt19-20100103 is the right path, but
> maybe you were running the multimedia kernel. Btw. someone asked if
> there's a difference between "multimedia" and "rt", the multimedia
> kernel is a rt patched kernel too, but it might be that the version of
> the rt patch differs, even for equal vanilla kernel versions.

the headers DID match the running kernel, i checked that.

> The latest mail says that the original problem now is solved, but that
> there still is no explanation because of the error. My read is, that the
> variables were not set correctly.
>
> I would try it manually ...
> VARINAME=xyz
> export VARINAME=xyz
> ... and check if it's set as wanted by ...
> echo $VARINAME

i will try that. But at the moment, i have a very stable system with older
multimedia kernel ...

> And because of the sources, I run Synaptic and saw that there aren't the
> common headers in the amd64 repository. In any case I guess it is good
> to compile the latest kernel and to add latest rtirq, when there's the
> need to build the graphics module ... not generally, but at the moment
> there seems to be a big step for the real-time kernel (and rtirq).

That's an important thing i did not yet understand. What is the difference
between the kernel-multimedia-amd64 and rt19-20100103? When looking at the
naming of that kernels, the last one seems that rt19 has nothing todo with
multimedia ... and the rt kernel seems to be to be more a snapshot, then a
tested version.... (and remember, i got that rt19 kernel from a privat
repository, not from the official one...)

Regards,
Mathias