Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Daniel James

Default Crafting Digital Media now available direct from 64 Studio

Hi all,

My book 'Crafting Digital Media: Audacity, Blender, Drupal, GIMP,
Scribus, and other Open Source Tools' is now available direct from 64
Studio Ltd. at a price of 20 including surface postage to anywhere in
the world:

http://www.freesoftwarecreative.com/crafting_digital_media_available_now

If you are in North America you may get a better price and faster
shipping via Amazon.com or your local bookstore. Shipping to the USA
from our office takes approximately two weeks.

The table of contents for the book is pasted below. I had to limit
myself to covering just a few applications per chapter, but I do mention
alternative programs in each section.

Cheers!

Daniel

Part 1, Introduction

1. Working with Free Software
A general introduction.

2. Getting Started
with Ubuntu installation.

Part 2, Tools

3. Photography
with the Gimp, F-Spot, gThumb, and XSane.

4. Illustration and Font Design
with Inkscape and FontForge.

5. Animation
with Synfig and KToon.

6. 3D Modelling
with Blender.

7. Publishing
with Scribus.

8. Making Music
with Mixxx, Seq24 and Hydrogen.

9. Recording Audio
with Audacity and Ardour.

10. Mixing and Mastering
with LADSPA and Jamin.

11. Video Editing
with Avidemux and Open Movie Editor.

12. Web Content
with Drupal CMS and Icecast.

Part 3, Appendixes

Appendix 1: GNU/Linux command-line quick reference.

Appendix 2: GNU Free Documentation License.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Mathias Krause

Hi Daniel,

one small question:
Is qtractor also mentioned? I know, it's in a kind of alpha stage. But
it's really amazing, what can already be done in qtractor and it is my
favorite for upcoming standard all-in-one sequencers.

Regards
Mathias Krause

Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Daniel James

Hi Mathias,

> Is qtractor also mentioned?

I'm afraid I didn't cover qtractor in any detail. I chose Seq24 to
introduce MIDI concepts because it's simple, cross-platform and can be
used for live performance.

> I know, it's in a kind of alpha stage. But
> it's really amazing, what can already be done in qtractor and it is my
> favorite for upcoming standard all-in-one sequencers.

I am keeping a close eye on it for a future release of 64 Studio. If
there's ever a second edition of the book then it might be covered
there, let's see :-)

Cheers!

Daniel