Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Frank Smith

Default Ardour Missing fileswhen backing up

Hi All
After backing up my ardour files to another drive, I Then took the files to another machine ( the keyboards players house) who is now running 64studio ( another convert!) All the files loaded in to Ardour apart from the drum tracks.

I note that this happened on all the 3 backups.
The tracks were imported from a Beta monkey DVD and then I copied the files to my desktop then changed them to fit the music.

Is there some permission error here? or does ardour not actually move the file into it's own folder and somehow link to the original file now on my desktop?

As you can see bit of* show stopper having 10 tracks with no drums.

Cheers Bob

Old 01-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Daniel James

Hi Bob,

> Is there some permission error here?

That's worth checking, but it shouldn't affect only some of the tracks.

> or does ardour not actually move
> the file into it's own folder and somehow link to the original file now
> on my desktop?

That's an option whenever you import audio material into an Ardour
session. See the checkbox 'Copy files to session' here:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/floss/publish/Ardour/rsrc/Ardour/ImportAudio/import_audio_04.png

> As you can see bit of show stopper having 10 tracks with no drums.

I'd recommend taking a look inside the session directory on the original
machine to make sure the drum track .wavs are actually there. If not,
inspect the Source tags of the .ardour session file in your text editor
of choice to see which path they were linked from. E.g. for files in the
session directory:

<Source name="Audio 1-1%L.wav" id="145" captured-for="Audio 1"
flags="" channel="0"/>
<Source name="Audio 1-1%R.wav" id="147" captured-for="Audio 1"
flags="" channel="0"/>

Cheers!

Daniel

Old 01-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Frank Smith

Hi DanielThank you for the info.I'll check these out now.I note that copy to session is indeed ticked, I didn't realise you can import to the regions, Nice one!
As I'm using a small SSD ( 30 Gig) I tend to use the larger IDE drive. It's my understanding that it's better to split the OS drive and the data.

On checking now it would seem that the drums files are in the session.I'll try the backups on my external drive.
Will let you know.CheersBob

That's worth checking, but it shouldn't affect only some of the tracks.

or does ardour not actually move the file into it's own folder and somehow link to the original file now on my desktop?

That's an option whenever you import audio material into an Ardour session. See the checkbox 'Copy files to session' here:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/floss/publish/Ardour/rsrc/Ardour/ImportAudio/import_audio_04.png

As you can see bit of *show stopper having 10 tracks with no drums.

I'd recommend taking a look inside the session directory on the original *machine to make sure the drum track .wavs are actually there. If not, inspect the Source tags of the .ardour session file in your text editor of choice to see which path they were linked from. E.g. for files in the session directory:

* *<Source name="Audio 1-1%L.wav" id="145" captured-for="" 1" flags="" channel="0"/>

* *<Source name="Audio 1-1%R.wav" id="147" captured-for="" 1" flags="" channel="0"/>

Cheers!

Daniel