Old 01-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default qjackctl: Confused about patchbay vs. connections

David Adler wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:05 AM, Hugh Lovette wrote:
>
>> Moments after opening the link you sent I read the following:
>> "When it is setup correctly, the patchbay provides automatic
>> connection setup for jack-aware applications, maintains connections
>> persistently through application stops (or crashes) and restarts, and
>> allows for easy switching between different setups (eg from one
>> instrument setup to another between songs in a live performance)."
>>
>> Thank you David I quite possibly would have never discovered that
>> functionality on my own. That by itself makes a large difference to
>> me.
>>

> I never actuallyused the patchbay, just remembered that
> this article existed.
> What I use is jack_snapshot, it integrates nicely into scripts.
> However, persistant connections are a nice feature, one
> day I should take the time to exploe the patchbay.
>
> greetings,

I'm using jack_snapshot for JACK audio too, because the patchbay never
worked for me. The problem with jack_snapshot is, that it's not for ALSA
MIDI and JACK MIDI connections. I also have got a2jmidid + patchage
installed, but never tested it.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Tapani Sysimetsä

Tapani Sysimetsä wrote:
> David Adler wrote:
>
>> google comes up with this:
>> http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/76
>>
>> best,
>>
> Nice tutorial. I use patchbay constantly, it's very handy. After setting
> the connections in patchbay (through snapshot function or otherwise),
> remember to save and click Activate. If you have several setups, or want
> take the settings to another system, just load the .xml file and activate.

Just to make it clearer: By using patchbay you can, for instance, have
your midi keyboard connected automatically to whatever midi-jack audio
application(s) you wish.

Tapani

Old 01-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Ralf Mardorf

David Adler wrote:
> This requires that qjackctl isn't running, so the
> full version for scripted pseudo-on-the-fly
> pachbay change is:
>

> TEST=`ps ax | grep qjackctl | grep -v grep | wc -l`
> if [ $TEST = 0 ]
> then
> killall qjackctl
> fi
> qjackctl -a /path/to/patchbaydefenition.xml

I can't speak for this example, but for my actual start-session script
"killall" sometimes isn't okay. I added "-9 -w" and now it seems to be
okay all the time. I kill all apps before I launch them, even if they
aren't running, to avoid that there are unwanted processes running after
a crash.

#!/bin/sh
# sh start-session

song_path=`pwd`
song_name="devoid_of_meaning"
song_version="06"
song_date="Jan/17/2010"
song_info="

############################

# Project: $song_name

# Version: $song_version

# $song_date Ralf Mardorf

############################
"

if [ $USER = "root" ] ; then
echo "
Only a user is allowed to run this script
"
else
echo $song_info

### CPU ferquency scaling
echo "
Setting up CPU frequency scaling for 64 Studio 3.0-beta3"
cpufreq-selector -g performance
if [ $? = 0 ] ; then echo "Done" ; fi

### Killall
apps="jack_snapshot qtractor sr-2a jackd"
echo "
killall -9 -w $apps"
killall -9 -w $apps

### Restore session
echo "
Restoring session "
sample_rate=96000
frames_period=512
echo "
jackd -Rdalsa -dhw:0 -r$sample_rate -p$frames_period -n2 -Xseq"
jackd -Rdalsa -dhw:0 -r$sample_rate -p$frames_period -n2 -Xseq & sleep 2
sr-2a & sleep 2
qtractor "$song_path/qtr/$song_name-$song_version.qtr" & sleep 2
jack_snapshot restore "$song_path/$song_name-$song_version.jsnap"
echo
fi
exit 0

Old 01-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Ralf Mardorf

David Adler wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
>> David Adler wrote:
>>
>>> This requires that qjackctl isn't running, so the
>>> full version for scripted pseudo-on-the-fly
>>> pachbay change is:
>>>

>>> TEST=`ps ax | grep qjackctl | grep -v grep | wc -l`
>>> if [ $TEST = 0 ]
>>> then
>>> killall qjackctl
>>> fi
>>> qjackctl -a /path/to/patchbaydefenition.xml
>>>
>> I can't speak for this example, but for my actual start-session script
>> "killall" sometimes isn't okay. I added "-9 -w" and now it seems to be
>> okay all the time. I kill all apps before I launch them, even if they
>> aren't running, to avoid that there are unwanted processes running after
>> a crash.
>>

> you're right, the whole test is obsolete. It just avoids a
> potentially irritating error message.
>
> I never had issues with SIGTERM (the killall default, -15).
> Not too sure, but -w seems to be a good thing when
> restarting the application immediately afterwards,
> no problems yet without it, though.

And I guess here you are right. I had trouble especially when restarting
applications immediately after a crash or after closing them manually,
jackd sometimes needs time to finish and because I don't run QjackCtl,
jackd won't be closed automatically.

"On POSIX-compliant platforms, SIGKILL is the signal sent to a process
to cause it to terminate immediately." (Wiki)
"On POSIX-compliant platforms, SIGTERM is the signal sent to a process
to request its termination." (Wiki)

Dunno, I didn't tested --wait without SIGKILL. It "feels" as if it's
more safe to chose SIGKILL and --wait together.

Did you pointed out that for QjackCtl "Options > Execute script after
Shutdown: killall jackd" has to be unchecked?! IIUC "pseudo-on-the-fly"
should mean that jackd shouldn't be terminated, to avoid trouble with
running audio applications.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to recommend to store and restore ALSA MIDI
connections, but for JACK audio (and JACK MIDI, didn't know that JACK
MIDI can be handled too by jack_snapshot), I still prefer jack_snapshot,
even if QjackCtl's patchbay should be okay now, most times I don't need
QjackCtl, because I'm using Qtractor with it's own "Connect"-window.

@ hughlovette gmail.com:
http://tapas.affenbande.org/wordpress/?page_id=14