Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Hugh Lovette

Default qjackctl: Confused about patchbay vs. connections

Moments after opening the link you sent I read the following:
"When it is setup correctly, the patchbay provides automatic
connection setup for jack-aware applications, maintains connections
persistently through application stops (or crashes) and restarts, and
allows for easy switching between different setups (eg from one
instrument setup to another between songs in a live performance)."

Thank you David I quite possibly would have never discovered that
functionality on my own. That by itself makes a large difference to
me.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:28 AM
David Adler

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:05 AM, Hugh Lovette wrote:
> Moments after opening the link you sent I read the following:
> "When it is setup correctly, the patchbay provides automatic
> connection setup for jack-aware applications, maintains connections
> persistently through application stops (or crashes) and restarts, and
> allows for easy switching between different setups (eg from one
> instrument setup to another between songs in a live performance)."
>
> Thank you David I quite possibly would have never discovered that
> functionality on my own. That by itself makes a large difference to
> me.

I never actuallyused the patchbay, just remembered that
this article existed.
What I use is jack_snapshot, it integrates nicely into scripts.
However, persistant connections are a nice feature, one
day I should take the time to exploe the patchbay.

greetings,

Old 01-16-2010, 08:55 PM
David Adler

[...]
> The problem with jack_snapshot is, that it's not for ALSA
> MIDI and JACK MIDI connections.
[...]

No. Jack_snapshot does take care of all Jack connections,
i.e. Jack audio and Jack Midi. No Alsa Midi.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Tapani Sysimetsä

David Adler wrote:
> google comes up with this:
> http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/76
>
> best,
Nice tutorial. I use patchbay constantly, it's very handy. After setting
the connections in patchbay (through snapshot function or otherwise),
remember to save and click Activate. If you have several setups, or want
take the settings to another system, just load the .xml file and activate.

Cheers,

Tapani

Old 01-17-2010, 05:19 PM
David Adler

Tapani Sysimetsä wrote:
> Tapani Sysimetsä wrote:
>> David Adler wrote:
>>
>>> google comes up with this:
>>> http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/76
>>>
>>> best,
>>>
>> Nice tutorial. I use patchbay constantly, it's very handy. After setting
>> the connections in patchbay (through snapshot function or otherwise),
>> remember to save and click Activate. If you have several setups, or want
>> take the settings to another system, just load the .xml file and activate.
>>

> Just to make it clearer: By using patchbay you can, for instance, have
> your midi keyboard connected automatically to whatever midi-jack audio
> application(s) you wish.

I looked into the patchbay a bit more and I do like it.
On top of an existing session, I can add

qjackctl -a /path/to/patchbaydefenition.xml

to a session script to have persistance and the
auto-connecting feature.

This requires that qjackctl isn't running, so the
full version for scripted pseudo-on-the-fly
pachbay change is:

TEST=`ps ax | grep qjackctl | grep -v grep | wc -l`
if [ $TEST = 0 ]
then
killall qjackctl
fi
qjackctl -a /path/to/patchbaydefenition.xml

I dislike the idea of manually creating sockets and plugs
but the automatic snapshots have worked so far.

Probably I'll stick to my old workflow involving jack_snapshot
and aconnect, using the patchbay just on top if required.

-- uuuh -- thats four applications involved in making
connections, as soon as Ardour is part of the session.
I could add jack.plumbing and patchage and...

greetings,

Old 01-17-2010, 06:37 PM
David Adler

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> David Adler wrote:
>> This requires that qjackctl isn't running, so the
>> full version for scripted pseudo-on-the-fly
>> pachbay change is:
>>

>> TEST=`ps ax | grep qjackctl | grep -v grep | wc -l`
>> *if [ $TEST = 0 ]
>> *then
>> * * *killall qjackctl
>> *fi
>> qjackctl -a /path/to/patchbaydefenition.xml
>
> I can't speak for this example, but for my actual start-session script
> "killall" sometimes isn't okay. I added "-9 -w" and now it seems to be
> okay all the time. I kill all apps before I launch them, even if they
> aren't running, to avoid that there are unwanted processes running after
> a crash.

you're right, the whole test is obsolete. It just avoids a
potentially irritating error message.

I never had issues with SIGTERM (the killall default, -15).
Not too sure, but -w seems to be a good thing when
restarting the application immediately afterwards,
no problems yet without it, though.

best,

Old 01-17-2010, 07:29 PM
David Adler

> TEST=`ps ax | grep qjackctl | grep -v grep | wc -l`
> *if [ $TEST = 0 ]
> *then
> * * killall qjackctl
> *fi
> qjackctl -a /path/to/patchbaydefenition.xml

oops, it must certainly be:

if [ $TEST = 1 ]

sorry for this kind of off-by-one error.