Old 01-08-2010, 01:35 PM
"Rick Bolen (GM)"

Default Success! failure compiling Matrox Parhelia video driver...

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> kernel-package in now installed, and linux-source-2.6.29,
>> build-essential, et al.
>>
>> 1) Do I need apply the patches that came with linux-source, or they
>> "pre-applied" and there only if needing to "unroll"?
>>
>> 2) What ".config" file do I use to build the stock 64Studio rt-kernel?
>>

> Just copy the /boot/config-[snip] for the default kernel to the
> directory were you compile the new kernel.
> If you build another kernel version you should run "$ make oldconfig"
> after doing the copy, this is an easy way to configure a new kernel
> with a configuration, that is outdated, because of new functions. If
> you only want to compile the default kernel, you only need to copy the
> configuration from /boot, you don't need to change any thing. If you
> like to change something, e.g. to optimize to your CPU, you need to
> run "$ make menuconfig".
>
> As an example take a look at
> http://www.mail-archive.com/64studio-users@lists.64studio.com/msg01569.html.

The above example is what I used. It's very comprehensive and detailed.
I now have a 2.6.31-rt kernelheaderssource, and the Matrox driver
compiled against it without error.

Question:

The kernel reports that CONFIG_FTRACE debugging is enabled and may slow
the system down. Would you recommend that I recompile with it turned off
or just leave it?

Many thanks,

Rick

Old 01-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Martin Horn wrote:
> [snip]
>
> The kernel reports that CONFIG_FTRACE debugging is enabled and may
> slow
> the system down. Would you recommend that I recompile with it
> turned off
> or just leave it?
>

> You should change that, see this mail from Ralf a few messages later
> on the list:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/64studio-users@lists.64studio.com/msg01589.html
>
> Thanks again here to Ralf for his outstanding easy step-by-step how-to
> on compiling a kernel.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

To be honest, I never tested if ftrace would slow down the system, but I
do believe the kernel's message . Ftrace will include a system
monitoring and debugging tool and it sounds plausible to me, that this
will slow down real-time actions.