-   -   Any ideas as regards Firewire? (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/301335-any-ideas-regards-firewire.html)

Frank Smith 12-28-2009 11:48 AM

Any ideas as regards Firewire?

HI
All
I have 4 tapes on my camera that I need to get into 64studio.
It seems forewire is no longer an option.
Is there any Linux distro that now supports firewire?.
I really didn't see this one coming.

Cheers
Bob

Dave Phillips 12-28-2009 12:28 PM

Frank Smith wrote:

> I have 4 tapes on my camera that I need to get into 64studio.
> It seems forewire is no longer an option.
> Is there any Linux distro that now supports firewire?.
> I really didn't see this one coming.

I have Firewire ports available on both my desktop boxes. All the
distros in use here support IEEE1394, including Debian (64 Studio 2.1),
OpenSUSE (JAD 1.0), and Ubuntu (Jaunty and Karmic). The 2.6.32 kernel
has recoded the Firewire drivers for greater compatibility with the
FFADO project, and IIUC it seems that Apple has heeded its users' cries
of outrage and is putting the iLink ports back on their machines.

Two days ago I transferred an hour-long show from my miniDV camera to
Kino running in Jaunty. It worked perfectly.

Are you having a specific problem with connections or is there some
other problem ?

Best,

dp

Frank Smith 12-28-2009 12:36 PM

Any ideas as regards Firewire?

HI Dave
Thansk for the reply.

I cannot get the raw1394 to load at all.

Kino complains rightly that it is not loaded.

When I ran Kino as root I used to be able to use the camera ok.
But now I cannot.

After looking around there seem to be talk of FFado not working in the newer kernels.
maybe I got this wrong. What commamnds do I need to load the modules?

Cheers
Bob

Dave Phillips 12-28-2009 12:57 PM

Frank Smith wrote:

> I cannot get the raw1394 to load at all.
>
> Kino complains rightly that it is not loaded.
>
> When I ran Kino as root I used to be able to use the camera ok.
> But now I cannot.
> After looking around there seem to be talk of FFado not working in the
> newer kernels.
> maybe I got this wrong. What commamnds do I need to load the modules?
As root (or sudo) :

modprobe ieee1394

modprobe raw1394

modprobe ohci1394

I'm not sure in what order they should be loaded, so just try each one
until you get it right. Btw, I don't think the FFADO stuff is relevant
to your problem.

You didn't give enough information. What kernel are you using ? Which
distro & version ? What camera ? What version of Kino ? Can you use the
camera under any other distro ?

Best,

dp

Frank Smith 12-30-2009 05:54 PM

Any ideas as regards Firewire?

HI Dave
I'm using a Panasonic on beta 3 and whatever the latest kernel is.
This has always worked when I last used it.
Something has changed in the last year.

Now Kino tells me the camera is not switched on ( it is)

Is there anything in Kino I need to change.

Cheers
Bob

Frank Smith 12-30-2009 06:23 PM

Any ideas as regards Firewire?

HI Dave here is the errors:

studio@64studio:~$ sudo modprobe ieee1394
FATAL: Module ieee1394 not found.
studio@64studio:~$ sudo modprobe raw1394
FATAL: Module raw1394 not found.
studio@64studio:~$ modprobe ohci1394

Camera is on and working
Any ideas?

Cheers
Bob

Dave Phillips 12-30-2009 09:42 PM

Frank Smith wrote:
> HI Dave here is the errors:
>
> studio@64studio:~$ sudo modprobe ieee1394
> FATAL: Module ieee1394 not found.
> studio@64studio:~$ sudo modprobe raw1394
> FATAL: Module raw1394 not found.
> studio@64studio:~$ modprobe ohci1394

> Camera is on and working
> Any ideas?

I'll guess that the kernel modules weren't compiled or that you need to
install a kernel modules package that includes the IEEE1394 stack.

I had to work with the old Kino on 2.1 this afternoon, everything worked
perfectly with the AV/C controls for my camera. Like I say, I'll guess
that the required modules are in another package. If not, you'll need to
recompile a kernel yourself or see if the maintainers will add the modules.

Best,

dp

Quentin Harley 12-31-2009 10:10 AM

Dave Phillips wrote:
> I'll guess that the kernel modules weren't compiled or that you need to
> install a kernel modules package that includes the IEEE1394 stack.

I had to build a kernel for myself some time ago to re-enable the old
IEEE1394 stack. DV cameras do not like the experimental fire wire stack yet.

I added the kernel to my personal repository:
deb http://apt.harleystudio.co.za hardy main

2.6.29.3-rt13

Hope it helps,
Quentin

Frank Smith 12-31-2009 04:23 PM

Any ideas as regards Firewire?

HI QuentinNot sure I would try and compile a kernel as a user.It seems then that DV capture is not going to happen in beta 3.I can't install*the*old 2.1 as there is a problem with old software not installing ( tried it twice)
Any ideas on what Linux distro I can load that will still use the old firewire stack, just to get the stuff off the camera?
I hadn't used the DV camera for ages and didn't realise the changes
would bring me to a stop, getting a bit*embarrassing*this end with the windows crowd!
Thanks for the helpBob

*

Quentin Harley 12-31-2009 09:20 PM

Frank Smith wrote:
> HI Quentin
> Not sure I would try and compile a kernel as a user.

That's why I referred to my repository ;-)

> It seems then that DV capture is not going to happen in beta 3.

It is planned for 3.0 release

> I can't install the old 2.1 as there is a problem with old software
> not installing ( tried it twice)
> Any ideas on what Linux distro I can load that will still use the old
> firewire stack, just to get the stuff off the camera?

Check the forums:

http://www.64studio.com/node/1176

> I hadn't used the DV camera for ages and didn't realise the changes
> would bring me to a stop, getting a bit embarrassing this end with the
> windows crowd!

Had the same issue ;-)

To install the 2.6.31 kernel I am using at the moment (AMD64):

Add my repository to your sources.list
deb http://apt.harleystudio.co.za/ hardy main

using synaptic, deinstall the alsa-firmware package (included in the
kernel package)
and afterwards install the 2.6.31.6-rt kernel.

Is has the old fire wire stack enabled, and works with my Canon DV video
camera via firewire.

Regards,

Quentin
remove the alsa-firmware package