Old 12-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default To less communication at the forums and at the mailing list

Brian Bergstrom wrote:
> Does anyone else find the forum hard to use?

I don't like the forum, but in general I'm not fine with forums.

> While there has been a decline of activity on this list and the forum, I
> have been seeing Free's name appear a lot more on the debian multimedia
> packagers list a lot more. That is a good sign that progress is being
> made to get us(and other debian based media distros) newer packages.

I didn't know this and I'm happy to hear about it.

My intention for this thread is, that people should stay at one distro,
even if it might cause trouble for some versions, while some other
distros might be fine. IMO always changing the audio distro is
counterproductive. Instead of randomly using the distro, that might be
the best at one time, we should stay at one distro and work together. If
we won't do it, I fear Linux audio will go the BSD way and one day we'll
have each minute a new audio distro, but not a huge community working at
a hand full of audio distros.

Thank you for the reply
Ralf

Old 12-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hugh Lovette wrote:
> I'm new to this distro, and am setting up a box for a friend, not
> myself (though I'll be supporting this non-linux person). I have been
> bothered by the poor forum system when there are so many decent forum
> apps out there to choose from. No proper searching makes it barely
> useful and that really does impact the usability of the distro. I've
> seen a lot of unanswered posts - there must be more people using this!
> Then again, it looks like linuxmusicians.com forum has more activity
> in general. Either a link to that forum should be added to the distro
> website or this forum should be fixed.
>
> Otherwise I'm thrilled to find the distro - wish it had existed back
> in the 80s when I was using 8track real-to-real tascams. I remember
> reading about peter gabriel producing albums on computer and looked
> into what it would take... the largest HDD I could afford at the time
> was 80MB, not GB! We have a lot to be happy about here.

The 64 Studio Community is amazing tolerant, something that is seldom
for Linux communities . I don't know linuxmusicians.com, but I do know
some German Linux forums and there's no tolerance and especially
real-time audio is a PITA at those forums. Anyway, I agree that there's
the need to breath new life into the 64 Studio forums and users mailing
list.

Btw. it seems to be, that you and I have a similar history regarding to
music and computers. I've got a 40MB (in words "forty mega bytes") SCSI
hard disk with a LACOM controller for my Atari ST . There's something
unbelievable, this Seablade HD sometimes needs several starts before
it's fine, but it's still fine, while a lot of modern hard disks I had
are junk within 2 or 3 years. For my C64 I never had a hard disk and
I used it for producing music without SMPTE, just with an interface that
produced a click for sync, without any position code.

Please report if your friend is fine with 64 Studio.

AND ask him to join this mailing list .

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 AM
tim hall

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 11:43 -0600, Brian Bergstrom wrote:
> Does anyone else find the forum hard to use?

Heh, Yes.

I have noted that you want:
To be able to mark things as read without opening each topic.
To have a feed of new posts.

I'll have a look at what is possible with drupal and we should have a
chat with Daniel in the new year about improving the usability of the
forums.

I too read more than I post here, mostly due to being rather busy. I'd
like to express some appreciation for people like Ralph keeping the
conversation going, even if I do find it a little verbose sometimes. ;-)

Happy Solstice & Season's greetings one and all!

tim

Old 12-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Ralf Mardorf

tim hall wrote:
> even if I do find it a little verbose sometimes. ;-)

spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~$ ralf --verbose=less
The verbose less option still is experimental
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~$