Old 12-20-2009, 04:36 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default To less communication at the forums and at the mailing list

Does anybody read the forums?

I did today.

First, there are some important discussions from this month.
Second, there are some old, but unsolved threads about serious issues,
e.g. this one http://www.64studio.com/node/1283.

For sure, I won't be the one "capturing" the forums, after being dissed
for "capturing" the mailing list .

I would like to see some more traffic on the forums and the mailing
list. Please users, reply to people having issues and save them from
migrating to other distros.

Btw. again I'll post the way I pseudo-solved this
"http://www.64studio.com/node/1283"-issue, if anybody else should run
into the same trouble like mick.ca does in August:

spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~$ ls -al /usr/local/bin/fix64
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 814 2009-10-22 00:06 /usr/local/bin/fix64
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~$ cat /usr/local/bin/fix64
#!/bin/sh
# /usr/local/bin/fix64
# 2009 Ralf Mardorf

echo $0

# hda-intel
diff /usr/local/share/fix64/etc/modprobe.d/hda-intel
/etc/modprobe.d/hda-intel
if [ $? = 0 ]
then echo NO DIFF /etc/modprobe.d/hda-intel IS EQUAL TO THE BACKUP
else cp -p /usr/local/share/fix64/etc/modprobe.d/hda-intel
/etc/modprobe.d/hda-intel
fi

# gdm.conf-custom
diff /usr/local/share/fix64/etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom
if [ $? = 0 ]
then echo NO DIFF /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom" "IS EQUAL TO THE BACKUP
else cp -p /usr/local/share/fix64/etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom
fi

# sources.list
diff -r /usr/local/share/fix64/etc/apt/ /etc/apt/
if [ $? = 0 ]
then echo NO DIFF /etc/apt/"* "ARE EQUAL TO THE BACKUP
else cp -pr /usr/local/share/fix64/etc/apt/* /etc/apt
fi

exit 0
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~$

Unfortunately there's the need to have a backup to repair 64 Studio once
it has this bug and having this bug, people always needs to run fix64
after doing upgrades, installs or removals. Seemingly I run into this
trouble in Oktober.

By the way, I don't think it makes much sense to test an outdated
kernel-rt. IMO it's better to stay with the default kernel or to build
and test the latest kernel.
The other thing is, that people who still follow this list, but who are
already migrated to another distro should write about the reasons soon
to the list and/ or the forums.

I prefer 64 Studio and don't have any purpose to migrate , but I do
understand the arguments some people have to migrate.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 12-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Hugh Lovette

I'm new to this distro, and am setting up a box for a friend, not
myself (though I'll be supporting this non-linux person). I have been
bothered by the poor forum system when there are so many decent forum
apps out there to choose from. No proper searching makes it barely
useful and that really does impact the usability of the distro. I've
seen a lot of unanswered posts - there must be more people using this!
Then again, it looks like linuxmusicians.com forum has more activity
in general. Either a link to that forum should be added to the distro
website or this forum should be fixed.

Otherwise I'm thrilled to find the distro - wish it had existed back
in the 80s when I was using 8track real-to-real tascams. I remember
reading about peter gabriel producing albums on computer and looked
into what it would take... the largest HDD I could afford at the time
was 80MB, not GB! We have a lot to be happy about here.