Old 12-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default X Configuration - Episode 1 "xrandr semms to be useless for my problem"

Hugh Lovette wrote:
> First post here, hope this helps but note I've only recently tried
> xrandr myself - it's worked wonders for me after years of xorg.conf
> frustrations (I frequently switch between monitors and drivers for
> arcane reasons like my girlfriend wanting to watch tv on her
> widescreen tv when I'm using it as a monitor... she wins, of course).
>
> I found this page to be the most informative in figuring this out for myself:
> http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12
>
> Before using
> $ xrandr --addmode ...
>
> you need to first run
> $ xrandr --newmode <ModeLine>
>
> Only you have to come up with the proper modeline filler gunk. I was
> lucky and found it in an old xorg.conf file from a different
> distro/same monitor but you can download modeline calculators such as
> http://amlc.berlios.de/
> (have not tried it myself)
>
> -Fitzhugh

Thank you very much

I figured out something myself, but I'll "reset" my xorg.conf to the
default and then try to use the modeline calculator, followed by xrandr
--newmode. Maybe not this month, but at the latest in January.

If it should work, I recommend to add a modeline calculator to 64 Studio
default installations and a howto to the homepage.

Maybe it's possible to add a script for setting up graphics and any kind
of display. Suse's Sax2 imo is comfortable, btw. I flip through the
modeline calculator link, I reckon it will be painful, because I don't
have a manual for any of my monitors .

I'm missing the old X with the old xorg.conf for any Linux distro, even
Suse isn't perfect today. Once it was possible to figure out settings
manually, but today this doesn't work any more. I wonder why Windows
always is able to set up frequencies so easy.

I guess this isn't an issue for most people, because they don't use tube
monitors any more, but when doing graphical arts tube monitors still are
the better choice.

Thanks again .

Cheers,
Ralf

--
How to keep us all safe

Hi,

I just joined over 11 million people in the world's largest-ever campaign to keep us all safe.

There has never been a more important time to add your name - our message is being delivered to leaders at the Copenhagen climate summit later this week.

Please add your voice now at

http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_copenhagen/98.php?CLICK_TF_TRACK

Thanks!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hugh Lovette wrote:
> I'm still not sure my advice pointed to the best route... It worked
> for me but after posting I remembered I'd also found another way which
> involved bringing up the dialog for choosing display and video card
> hardware. I think the command was displayconfig-gtk - can't be sure
> since I'm not booted into kubuntu at the moment (I apt-get installed
> it, though, and it looks like what I remember.)
>
> That allowed me to choose the hardware from a substantial list

It's the same for Suse's Sax2. In the hardware list for Sax2 there was a
Monitor called Medion MD1998LM, while I have got a MEDION MD1998JB, but
it's fine for my monitor too, thus I only had to puzzle out a way to
make the Suse xorg.conf compatible for 64 Studio 3.0-beta3. For my old
monitor this failed, because it's "wounded". Some years ago it was
possible to add some vague parameters to the xorg.conf, so it was
possible to set up frequencies for this wounded monitor, but today this
don't work any more.

Hm, displayconfig-gtk already is installed, there is a list with
monitors, but the one I'm using now isn't in this list. It might be that
Lifetec/ Medion is a custom name for a monitor sold by German
supermarkets and that in other countries, the same monitor has got
another name. There might be an advantage for Suse, because it's a
German distro.

Anyway, Windows is fine without knowing what monitor is used and Linux
once was fine too with unknown monitors. Even if it's solved for my
monitor and 64 Studio now, I'm disappointed, because I know that
changing the monitor can cause trouble. Btw. on Windows the frequency is
at 100Hz, while on Linux it's at 90Hz for the same resolution. This is
no problem for this high frequencies, but for some monitors a less
optimized frequency might become an issue, e.g if a monitor will use a
frequency of 70Hz instead of possible 75Hz.

> [snip]
>
> Sorry for previous misdirection.

It's not a misdirection. The information about "$ xrandr --newmode",
resp. the link to http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12 are
very helpful. Btw. also Gustin's information about "xrandr" is very
helpful. Also knowing about modeline calculators like
http://amlc.berlios.de/ is very helpful. Having knowledge about the
possibilities given for Ubuntu based installations is good. Depending to
the problem one or the other way, might be a quick solution for some of us.

Thank you for your effort .

Cheers,
Ralf

PS: I'm not using Windows. I'm using Suse and 64 Studio and I prefer 64
Studio, excepted of the monitor issue 64 Studio on my computer is the
distro, that for multimedia is the better out of the box solution.