Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Hugh Lovette

Default X Configuration - Episode 1 "xrandr semms to be useless for my problem"

First post here, hope this helps but note I've only recently tried
xrandr myself - it's worked wonders for me after years of xorg.conf
frustrations (I frequently switch between monitors and drivers for
arcane reasons like my girlfriend wanting to watch tv on her
widescreen tv when I'm using it as a monitor... she wins, of course).

I found this page to be the most informative in figuring this out for myself:
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

Before using
$ xrandr --addmode ...

you need to first run
$ xrandr --newmode <ModeLine>

Only you have to come up with the proper modeline filler gunk. I was
lucky and found it in an old xorg.conf file from a different
distro/same monitor but you can download modeline calculators such as
http://amlc.berlios.de/
(have not tried it myself)

-Fitzhugh

Old 12-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Hugh Lovette

I'm still not sure my advice pointed to the best route... It worked
for me but after posting I remembered I'd also found another way which
involved bringing up the dialog for choosing display and video card
hardware. I think the command was displayconfig-gtk - can't be sure
since I'm not booted into kubuntu at the moment (I apt-get installed
it, though, and it looks like what I remember.)

That allowed me to choose the hardware from a substantial list - no
need for manuals, compiling modeline generators, etc. I chose a
monitor from same vendor with similar model number since my particular
monitor was not included and it worked fine, something I've done with
equivalent gui's on kubuntu.

Sorry for previous misdirection.