Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Martin Horn

Default Kernel 2.6.31 pae problem

Hi All,

I am new to this list and need help with the following problem:

I installed 64studio and the 2.6.31 kernel (which I need for my soundcard to run), but I can not boot this kernel on my machine, I get:

"This kernel requires the following features not present on your cpu:
pae"

Googling just finds the solution to install a generic kernel but I need realtime. Who can tell me what pae is and how I can fix this problem? Build a kernel myself?

Thanks for any help!
Martin

Old 12-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 12-18-2009, 05:49 AM
Gustin Johnson

Old 12-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Martin Horn

> I am new to this list and need help with the following problem:

> I installed 64studio and the 2.6.31 kernel (which I need for my

> soundcard to run), but I can not boot this kernel on my machine, I get:

> "This kernel requires the following features not present on your cpu:

> pae"

> Googling just finds the solution to install a generic kernel but I need

> realtime. Who can tell me what pae is and how I can fix this problem?

> Build a kernel myself?

I am building a new kernel for my laptop right now, I could have one for

you ready sometime tomorrow. *The catch is that I need to know which

version of 64Studio you are using (32 or 64bit... one could probably

assume 32 given the problem you describe, but I do not like assuming) as

well as what CPU you have ("cat /proc/cpuinfo" to find out).

Thank you very much for your answer! The machine I am trying to install on is a Subnotebook (Panasonic Toughbook CF-T2) which might be older than 5 years... The CPU is a Pentium Centrino 1.1GHz. At the moment I am at work and can not deliver more information but I will check out tonight.

I would highly appreciate help in building a kernel, as I have no experience with this. Do you think it is possible to build a 2.6.32 kernel instead of 2.6.31? There are some critical bugs for my soundcard for kernel <2.6.32 (see Git commits a9b487f, ac9dd9d).

Martin

Hth,

Old 12-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Martin Horn wrote:
> Do you think it is possible to build a 2.6.32 kernel instead of
> 2.6.31? There are some critical bugs for my soundcard for kernel
> <2.6.32 (see Git commits a9b487f
> <http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=a9b487f>,
> ac9dd9d
> <http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ac9dd9d>).
>
> Martin

Hi Martin

you can build any kernel-rt, if there is a rt patch that fit exactly to
the vanilla kernel version. You can find the available patches here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/
Thus the answer to your question is no, because there's no patch for 2.6.32.

You can ignore bug fixes that correlate to PulseAudio, but if it's
proved that your card has issues when using old versions of ALSA, you
perhaps don't need to build a new kernel, just compiling the ALSA
drivers might work too.

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page

Follow the instructions of the INSTALL text file.

OT: Please don't send your emails with HTML code.

Hth,
Ralf

--
How to keep us all safe

Hi,

I just joined over 11 million people in the world's largest-ever campaign to keep us all safe.

There has never been a more important time to add your name - our message is being delivered to leaders at the Copenhagen climate summit later this week.

Please add your voice now at

http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_copenhagen/98.php?CLICK_TF_TRACK

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Martin Horn

Hi Ralf,

thanks for your answer,

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

Martin Horn wrote:

> Do you think it is possible to build a 2.6.32 kernel instead of

> 2.6.31? There are some critical bugs for my soundcard for kernel

> <2.6.32 (see Git commits a9b487f

> <http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=a9b487f>,

> ac9dd9d

> <http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ac9dd9d>).

> Martin

Hi Martin

you can build any kernel-rt, if there is a rt patch that fit exactly to

the vanilla kernel version. You can find the available patches here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/

Thus the answer to your question is no, because there's no patch for 2.6.32.

I already saw this ... : (
*

You can ignore bug fixes that correlate to PulseAudio, but if it's

proved that your card has issues when using old versions of ALSA, you

perhaps don't need to build a new kernel, just compiling the ALSA

drivers might work too.

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page

Follow the instructions of the INSTALL text file.

Unfortunately the other bug is quite serious and relates to alsa. I would like to solve this by recompiling but the problem is that I am quite unexpierienced with building...

The install file says that I will need a kernel source:

"1) You must have full configured source for the Linux kernel which you
** want to use for the ALSA drivers. Note that ALSA drivers are part

** of the kernel ..."

Why do I need the kernel source just to compile the alsa drivers?
What is the result of recompiling the drivers and how do I make it work with my kernel as they are part of the kernel like its said here?

OT: Please don't send your emails with HTML code.

sorry for that, just did a stupid Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V

Hth,

Ralf

Old 12-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi Martin

I've forgotten that I once build a kernel 2.6.31.5-rt18. I'm running it
right now and it's fine, spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~$ uname -r
2.6.31.5-rt18.

You can find how to build it here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/64studio-users@lists.64studio.com/msg01442.html
The thread starts here and you should start reading here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/64studio-users@lists.64studio.com/msg01438.html

It's a little bit confusing, because it's not intended to be a howto.
When you run menuconfig you can disable PAE.

There's a less confusing howto I once wrote in the users list archives
and there are a lot of good howtos in the web. I'm short in time now, so
you should search yourself or wait until I've got time to write a good
howto, but this at the earliest would be in January.

Perhaps you can puzzle out how to build it and ask the list if you run
into trouble.

Hth,
Ralf

Old 12-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Martin Horn wrote:
> "1) You must have full configured source for the Linux kernel which you
> want to use for the ALSA drivers. Note that ALSA drivers are part
> of the kernel ..."

There seems to be no source for the default kernel, but there's a kernel
2.6.29 build by Quentin, dunno if it's available for all architectures.

To the repositories used by Synaptic add:

deb http://apt.harleystudio.co.za hardy main

Then install the source for the 2.6.29 kernrl-rt. If it won't work
launch Firefox and load it manually from http://apt.harleystudio.co.za,
then run dpkg by using the force option:

$ sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite <Pakage name>

Then you should be able to build latest ALSA for this kernel. I once installed Quentin's source too, for patching it with a special suspend function and it was fine.

Hth,
Ralf

Old 12-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Pardon, as I've written before, I'm short in time ...

download the kernel source from here: http://apt.harleystudio.co.za/pool/

Naturally a source code is for all architectures , but even the
headers are available for x86 and x86_64.

Sorry that I don't have time to help you at the moment. I hope this will
help a little bit.