Old 12-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Martin Horn

Default Kernel 2.6.31 pae problem

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>> I'll write a non-confusing howto for you later, thus you only need to

>> follow it step by step. Within the next 24 hours it should be written.

>> Don't go back to Ubuntu Studio.

> There is nothing wrong with Ubuntu Studio. *In fact this is what I have

> on my laptop which is my day to day workstation. *There are many valid

> reasons for using Ubuntu Studio and the differences are not as extreme

> as you might expect.

> My advice is to use whichever distro you connect with.

To be honest, I don't know Ubuntu Studio myself, but there are rumours

that it shouldn't be very good. Planet CCRMA has got a good reputation,

but it's not Debian based, while AV Linux is Debian based and it seems

to be good.

Btw.: "At the heart of AV Linux is a customized i686 2.6.32 Linux

Kernel" (http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html)

Maybe Martin should give AV Linux a chance if 64 Studio can't be fixed

for him, by building the 2.6.31 kernel.

Tried that one before, but the kernel is build with PAE enabled, so I was kicked out directly after first boot.
*

Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Gustin Johnson wrote:
> The Centrino is a vague term referring more to the platform as a whole.
> That generation of CPUs should support PAE, so clearly it is something
> that is a little weird. If possible I would like to get the output from
> "cat /proc/cpuinfo" by booting from a live CD such as Knoppix or
> systemrescuecd (as long as it boots, any of them will do).

I'm a fan of "hwinfo --cpu", but it needs to be installed "sudo apt-get
install hwinfo" and indeed "cat /proc/cpuinfo" will give the needed
information too.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Martin Horn

>> What I do need to know is what CPU you have

> His CPU is a Pentium Centrino 1.1GHz.

The Centrino is a vague term referring more to the platform as a whole.

*That generation of CPUs should support PAE, so clearly it is something

that is a little weird. *If possible I would like to get the output from

"cat /proc/cpuinfo" by booting from a live CD such as Knoppix or

systemrescuecd (as long as it boots, any of them will do).

martin@ubuntu:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor*** : 0
vendor_id*** : GenuineIntel
cpu family*** : 6
model*** *** : 9
model name*** : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1100MHz

stepping*** : 5
cpu MHz*** *** : 600.000
cache size*** : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug*** : no
hlt_bug*** *** : no
f00f_bug*** : no
coma_bug*** : no
fpu*** *** : yes
fpu_exception*** : yes
cpuid level*** : 2

wp*** *** : yes
flags*** *** : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm pbe up bts est tm2
bogomips*** : 1196.74
clflush size*** : 64
cache_alignment*** : 64
address sizes*** : 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual

power management:
*
(yes, Ralf, I already installed ubuntu (latest alpha with 2.6.32) but its buggy and I have to switch back immediately!)

Old 12-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Martin Horn

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> The Centrino is a vague term referring more to the platform as a whole.

> *That generation of CPUs should support PAE, so clearly it is something

> that is a little weird. *If possible I would like to get the output from

> "cat /proc/cpuinfo" by booting from a live CD such as Knoppix or

> systemrescuecd (as long as it boots, any of them will do).

I'm a fan of "hwinfo --cpu", but it needs to be installed "sudo apt-get

install hwinfo" and indeed "cat /proc/cpuinfo" will give the needed

information too.

Cannot manage to get an internet connection on the other machine now, sorry.
*