Old 12-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Kernel 2.6.31 pae problem

Please don't shoot me list . I'm hectic and try to help ...

Another PS:

> Then install the source for the 2.6.29 kernrl-rt. If it won't work
> launch Firefox and load it manually from
> http://apt.harleystudio.co.za, then run dpkg by using the force option:
>
> $ sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite <Pakage name>

You also need to install the kernel itself and I guess you need
--force-overwrite for the kernel, but not for the source.
Dunno if there's the need to edit menu.lst ...

I've to go off-line now ... sorry.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Martin Horn

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for all the input and suggestions but I am not very experienced with linux and building my own kernel would shure take me a while ...
I do not understand the difference in building a kernel and recompiling the alsa-drivers as the latter seems to include building the kernel for what I found out so far. Maybe correct me if I'm wrong and it is easier to just compile the drivers.

For now I just want to use my new soundcard so unfortunately I will have to switch back to ubuntustudio which includes a 2.6.31 kernel in the latest release.
This might be a reason for other people too to switch distros, it takes me half an hour to make a new install but it would take me days now to get my setup working when starting to build the kernel myself...

Hopefully there will be a 2.6.32-rt patch soon and a new release of 64studio with it. In fact I made better audio experiences with 64studio and also like it more than ubuntustudio for being more lightweight and straightforward.

Thanks,
Martin