-   -   X Configuration - Episode 1 "xrandr semms to be useless for my problem" (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/296764-x-configuration-episode-1-xrandr-semms-useless-my-problem.html)

Ralf Mardorf 12-17-2009 10:37 AM

X Configuration - Episode 1 "xrandr semms to be useless for my problem"

Hi :)

I first read the English Wiki https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config, ignoring
"I. Input device configuration", but started with "II. Display
resolution configuration".

For my old monitor I had a customized xorg.conf, in the meantime it's
overwritten by the known Ubuntu xorg.conf, but there's no
~/.config/monitors.xml in my home folder.
For me it's important that everything is set up by xorg.conf itself, to
have the wanted settings for any WM/ DE.

spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1280 x 1200
VGA-0 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
0mm x 0mm
1280x800 60.0
1280x768 60.0
1024x768 60.0*
800x600 60.3
640x480 59.9
S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Changing the resolution shouldn't become a problem, but setting up the
frequency at least needs some additional reading.

*_Setting xrandr changes persistently_*

Using kdm/gdm startup scripts isn't a solution for me, thus I ignored
it. Using .xprofile seems to be a good solution for multi-user systems,
I ignored it too. There's no .xprofile in my home folder, I didn't take
a look at /etc because of kdm/ gdm.

I go on with reading

*_Setting resolution changes in xorg.conf_*

but I kept the actual one and tried to set VF first. Actually for
1024x768 HF is at 48.3 KHz and VF is at 60.0 Hz.

spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~$ xrandr --rate 75
Rate 75.0 Hz not available for this size

Running "xrandr --help" and "man xrandr" aren't a help, anyway I tried

spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~$ xrandr --addmode VGA-0 "1024x768_75.00"
xrandr: cannot find mode "1024x768_75.00"

At this point I first ensured what's possible for this monitor and
booted a Windows XP pro installation. I just tested some combinations:

1024x768 @120 Hz is fine | 1024x768 @160 Hz no display
1024x768 @100 Hz is fine | 1024x768 @150 Hz no display
1024x768 @ 75 Hz is fine | 1024x768 @140 Hz no display
1024x768 @ 60 Hz is fine |
1920x1200@ 75 Hz is fine | 1920x1200@100 Hz no display
1920x1200@ 60 Hz is fine | 1920x1200@ 85 Hz no display

On Windows (I kept Windows only to test hardware issues) everything is
fine within some seconds. Once it was similar easy for Linux too.

"See man xorg.conf for full details on how to craft an xorg.conf file."
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution)

I'll do this and some additional web (re)search later ;).

Cheers,
Ralf