-   -   Small install brick-wall) (http://www.linux-archive.org/64-studio-user/287388-small-install-brick-wall.html)

Ralf Mardorf 11-28-2009 12:51 PM

Small install brick-wall)

Wow :)

I'm using Suse's Firefox 3.5.5 and 64 Studio's Firefox 3.0.15 sharing
one folder for one profile. It's amazing, both can handle plug-ins that
are invalid for the used version and fine for the other version, without
changing the plug-in settings for the other version of Firefox, it's the
same for any other setting. Even if I'm not fine with all "innovations",
Firefox still has got it's advantages and I guess latest version became
faster. Firefox again still is my favourite for any distro ;).

Btw. if needed, Firefox can run with options like ...

> firefox --help
-safe-mode Disables extensions and themes for this session.

At least this will reduce the needed memory and loss of speed.

Cheers,
Ralf

--
Daniel James wrote:
> Yes indeed, although Firefox seems increasingly memory hungry.

IMHO Firefox has become a PITA, even on modern machines. On 64 Studio I
still tend to use Firefox most of the times, but I'm using 2 profiles,
e.g. because of the plug-in issue. On Suse I'm now using Epiphany most
of the times. Unfortunately latest Opera seems to be buggy and I'm not a
fan of Konqueror web-browser, but Konqueror isn't bad. I guess Epiphany
will be a good choice as default for the future, even if no browser
seems to be able to replace Firefox completely.

By the way, I still prefer Thunderbird, but latest Evolution is really
near to the quality of Thunderbird or maybe it has reached the quality
of Thunderbird. I didn't test PGP and Junk-Filters with latest
Evolution, but anything else seems to be as good as it is for Thunderbird.

Perhaps we are used to the Mozillas and missed that other browsers and
mailers caught up.

Cheers,
Ralf