Old 01-03-2003, 03:04 AM
chan

Default mobo nvidia6100 max 640x480

640x480 max is how it installs, 1989 vintage...can I pass some boot
argument, or define some setting to bypass this?
I can dump in an xorg.conf from another distro that uses 1280x1028 on the
same computer,
but then the mouse is frozen, requiring even more sysadmin misery, instead
of recording.
I would prefer 64studio just dump the debian hardware probe, and use
suse/pclinuxos,
version, ( or at least fix the videocard /monitor portion) and allow for
genuine xogr.conf file, not just a few mumbled lines of
configured this
configured that
configured other thing

Thanks for any tips!

Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Pardon that f@$*ing Alice-Microsoft-Web-Bullshit-Thingy seems to remove
my original reply from the mail before. The shorten version of my
original reply:

There is no "genuine xogr.conf". X isn't universal and always a PITA.
What version of 64 Studio do you use? For 2.1 please ask again, for
3.0-beta3 try the attached xorg.conf, just change the keyboard to your
language settings and the video driver from Radeon to the
non-proprietary or Vesa driver.Then try if it's fine with "1024x768@60".
If so, replace only "1024x768@60" with the wanted resolution and
frequency.

Hth,
Ralf

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
Option "XkbVariant" "ro"
Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Boardname "VESA driver (generic)"
Busid "PCI:1:5:0"
Driver "radeon"
Screen 0
Option "MergedFB" "off"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Vendorname "Plug 'n' Play"
Modelname "Plug 'n' Play"
modeline "1024x768@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync -hsync
Gamma 1.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Defaultdepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Virtual 1024 768
Modes "1024x768@60"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "GLcore"
Load "v4l"
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection

Old 11-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Ralf Mardorf

PS:

On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 14:10 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Pardon that f@$*ing Alice-Microsoft-Web-Bullshit-Thingy seems to remove
> my original reply from the mail before. The shorten version of my
> original reply:
>
> There is no "genuine xogr.conf". X isn't universal and always a PITA.
> What version of 64 Studio do you use? For 2.1 please ask again, for
> 3.0-beta3 try the attached xorg.conf, just change the keyboard to your
> language settings and the video driver from Radeon to the
> non-proprietary
NVidia
> or Vesa driver.Then try if it's fine with "1024x768@60".
> If so, replace only "1024x768@60" with the wanted resolution and
> frequency.
>
> Hth,
> Ralf

There's a way to force 3.0-beta3 to generate a "more genuine" xorg.conf
that will fit, but I can't remember it and I don't have the needed
access to my 64 Studio now to do any investigation. I guess when using a
broken xorg.conf it will generate a "normal" one without those default
settings.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Jonathan Leonard

There is a gnome conf file in the user directory that really hung me up a few times because it was overriding the xorg.conf resolution settings. *After I deleted it, I was able manually work with xorg.conf reliably.

jonathan adams leonard

On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 14:10 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Pardon that f@$*ing Alice-Microsoft-Web-Bullshit-Thingy seems to remove

> my original reply from the mail before. The shorten version of my

> original reply:

> There is no "genuine xogr.conf". X isn't universal and always a PITA.

> What version of 64 Studio do you use? For 2.1 please ask again, for

> 3.0-beta3 try the attached xorg.conf, just change the keyboard to your

> language settings and the video driver from Radeon to the

> non-proprietary

NVidia

Old 12-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Jonathan Leonard wrote:
> There is a gnome conf file in the user directory that really hung me
> up a few times because it was overriding the xorg.conf resolution
> settings. After I deleted it, I was able manually work with xorg.conf
> reliably.
>
> jonathan adams leonard

Hi Jonathan hi all

since today I've got a new monitor and I'm not able to edit xorg.conf to
fit to the new monitor . While The old one was a 17", the new one is a
19". It was hardly to stand 60 Hz for the 17", but it's sickeningly for
the new 19".

I can't find a GNOME config, maybe because I still had a customized
xorg.conf, anyway, even after running "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh
xserver-xorg" there were no changes.

Can anybody help?

Cheers,
Ralf

PS:

I also will change the resolution, didn't try it until now, because I
first need to solve the frequency trouble. Phew, I'm also struggling
with the monitor's menu, pincushion etc. are terrible. The monitor is
tip-top but very, very bad adjusted and I can't see any option to reset
it . Does anybody know something about a LIFETEC / MEDION MODEL NAME:
MD1998JB Typ No: J91B?

Old 12-13-2009, 04:10 PM
tim hall

> Can anybody help?

No, but I'm having a similar problem, keep talking.

cheers,

tim

Old 12-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Jonathan Leonard

Hi, here is some info related to user specific video resolution:
If you delete the gnome settings, then the default x-server will be used.

Not sure if these files still exist in beta 3, but I found I had to delete them to work properly with xorg.conf to set specific values for lcd with fixed ranges.
In the examples this came up, were strange resolutions at boot like 832x something very strange(poor default and poor value for default). *This prompted me to immediately look for a rogue file somewhere on the system doing an override. *I was right, and it is the gnome configuration file. *I think it could be useful once the video system is setup perfectly and you have multiple users. *But it doesn't help when you are initializing a new system with new components. *A default like that should be ### unless its needed. *For 64studio it is safe to assume a single user workstation style at first when probing hardware and configuring.

jonathan adams leonard

Old 12-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Ralf Mardorf

tim hall wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 17:36 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> Can anybody help?
>>

> No, but I'm having a similar problem, keep talking.
>
> cheers,
>
> tim

Hi Tim

today I'll have fun by drinking wine and making an animation or anything
else, while the monitor's rendering and frequency are a disaster. Maybe
I'll use my old monitor today. I'm jobless, thus I'll have much time to
check out how to create a new xorg.conf next week.

But for the future, 3.0 or 4.0, there should be a howto that is fine for
every setup, seemingly Jonathan, you and I are not the only one having
trouble with a tube monitor or a display.

Shit! 64 Studio out of the box is amazing. I'm using latest Suse too and
Suse is rubbish out of the box, but X is a pain for 64 Studio 3.0-beta3.

I promised Rui first to check latest Qtractor, because he needs to know,
if some improvements are fine on other systems, thus I guess I'll spend
time to fight with X ex Tuesday.

Now, I'm already drunken, so I won't decide, if there's the need for a
ticked or to post to the developers list. As a member of the 64 Studio
team you might know if this is a serious issue, or just a problem for
some of us .

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 12-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Jonathan Leonard wrote:
> Hi, here is some info related to user specific video resolution:

Thank you , I'll read it tomorrow.

> [snip]
> A default like that should be ### unless its needed. For 64studio it
> is safe to assume a single user workstation style at first when
> probing hardware and configuring.

Full ACK

Cheers,
Ralf